Gen. Mattis rumored Sec of Defense? (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That would be epic!!! Love this guy!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't it largely regarded as stupid to put a career officer in as Secretary of Defense, because the position is a civilian balance to the Joint Chiefs? Other than wartime service I don't think there's been a career military figure as Secretary of Defense since Marshall during the Korean War (after he'd served as Secretary of State first). It's like hiring the former CEO of Goldman to oversee the stock exchanges.

I mean the whole point of the office is generally seen as civilian oversight of the armed forces, right? Otherwise you just rely on the chiefs.

BIGSAINTSFAN

Retired "USMC" Warrior
Reaction score
Isn't it largely regarded as stupid to put a career officer in as Secretary of Defense, because the position is a civilian balance to the Joint Chiefs? Other than wartime service I don't think there's been a career military figure as Secretary of Defense since Marshall during the Korean War (after he'd served as Secretary of State first). It's like hiring the former CEO of Goldman to oversee the stock exchanges.

I mean the whole point of the office is generally seen as civilian oversight of the armed forces, right? Otherwise you just rely on the chiefs.
You are absolutely right in your assessment. As a retired Marine Corps Officer, I had served with Mattis on numerous occasions and he isn't all that. Not a good choice in my opinion.

mr.t

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You are absolutely right in your assessment. As a retired Marine Corps Officer, I had served with Mattis on numerous occasions and he isn't all that. Not a good choice in my opinion.
Thanks for your service. What was it that you did not like? I am not familiar with him. Too much speculation flying around.

BIGSAINTSFAN

Retired "USMC" Warrior
Reaction score
Thanks for your service. What was it that you did not like? I am not familiar with him. Too much speculation flying around.
As a retired 06, I was privey to a lot of meetings with the guy. I am not going to totally bad mouth the guy, but I will say that we all know people that we either worked for, are relatives of, or have work for you and you sometimes sit back and say to yourself, how in the hell did this person get this position?? Or they say something that makes you go hmmmm!!!! Obviously the good general made it to his rank by doing what he needed to do, but sometimes people get things in other ways. Knowing what I know about what it's takes to perform in a secretary of defense role, I have a pretty good idea how a certain person will perform. I stand by my original statement that he would not be a great fit for that position and will not perform in a way that will benefit the country. Just my opinion of course and only voiced it because I was asked.

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

Actually, there is a law against selecting prior military prior to them being seven years removed from service.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title10/html/USCODE-2011-title10-subtitleA-partI-chap2.htm

§113. Secretary of Defense
(a) There is a Secretary of Defense, who is the head of the Department of Defense, appointed from civilian life by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. A person may not be appointed as Secretary of Defense within seven years after relief from active duty as a commissioned officer of a regular component of an armed force.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, there is a law against selecting prior military prior to them being seven years removed from service.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title10/html/USCODE-2011-title10-subtitleA-partI-chap2.htm
So it'd actually be illegal for him to hold the position now. That makes me curious what the source of the rumor the OP saw was then? Seems like this would be something a valid news source would know about. Not saying an NYT or WSJ can't blunder, though.

OP
Krodwhodat

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So it'd actually be illegal for him to hold the position now. That makes me curious what the source of the rumor the OP saw was then? Seems like this would be something a valid news source would know about. Not saying an NYT or WSJ can't blunder, though.

The law can be waived.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj....is-for-defense-chief-1479502633?client=safari

OP
Krodwhodat

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Krodwhodat. Since you think this would be an epic move and you love this guy, explain to us how you came to your conclusion.

Because I spent 8 years in the military and trained against him and his men quite a bit. He didn't take your typical road to the top. He actually worked his way to the top and was a soldier first. When I met him he was all about teaching his men and leading by example. He is extremely smart when it comes to military intelligence and understands the world we live in. The NCOs love him because he is hands on and not your typical. I have family that retired from the marines and even 10 years ago we would sit around drinking and his name would come up.

OP
Krodwhodat

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As a retired 06, I was privey to a lot of meetings with the guy. I am not going to totally bad mouth the guy, but I will say that we all know people that we either worked for, are relatives of, or have work for you and you sometimes sit back and say to yourself, how in the hell did this person get this position?? Or they say something that makes you go hmmmm!!!! Obviously the good general made it to his rank by doing what he needed to do, but sometimes people get things in other ways. Knowing what I know about what it's takes to perform in a secretary of defense role, I have a pretty good idea how a certain person will perform. I stand by my original statement that he would not be a great fit for that position and will not perform in a way that will benefit the country. Just my opinion of course and only voiced it because I was asked.

You described most of the officers I served with.

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I had no idea there was a law, and am surprised they felt it was necessary. Seems like only a fool wouldn't recognize that the position is all about civilian oversight. Appointing a recently retired career General to the position seems as smart as appointing Hillary to Ethics Czar or Christie to the Secretary of Portion Control.

BIGSAINTSFAN

Retired "USMC" Warrior
Reaction score
Because I spent 8 years in the military and trained against him and his men quite a bit. He didn't take your typical road to the top. He actually worked his way to the top and was a soldier first. When I met him he was all about teaching his men and leading by example. He is extremely smart when it comes to military intelligence and understands the world we live in. The NCOs love him because he is hands on and not your typical. I have family that retired from the marines and even 10 years ago we would sit around drinking and his name would come up.

Hmmmmmm Let's see now. First let me say thank you for your service. I am sure you learned a lot in your 8 years and General Mattis was a great influence on you and obviously still is. But before you get too far ahead of yourself and label me as being your "TYPICAL" officer, let me enlighten you on how I got to where I ended up. I got my start as a 25 year old Black African American Private in the Marine Corps. I only listed my color because when I enlisted blacks were still not being treated any better in this country. Being from the south (New Orleans) like me, I am sure you can relate. From there, I worked my tail off to make rank, Lance Corporal, Corporal, then Sergeant (all meritorious promotions). Served two tours to combat areas 12 months each. Selected to Staff Sergeant and then Gunnery Sergeant within 3 years with another combat tour, Selected to the rank of Warrant Officer and before the rank of Warrant Officer 4, served 5 more combat tours with a few tours lasting nearly 18 months. Then selected to the rank of Captain and with two more combat tours ended my career as a full Colonel. Retired with 32 years of service and 100 percent disability total and permanent. Now, I am sure the good general enjoyed his time as a good soldier and worked his *** off to make it where he did, but let's be clear, MY SERVICE TO THIS COULNTRY TAKES A BACKSEAT TO NO ONE, NOT EVEN HIS. You may find it commendable that my NCO's cared deeply for me as well as I was a hands on leader that took care of my Marines. At least that is what they always told me. Now I am sure my rise to the top may seem TYPICAL to you, but to the many men and women under my command and the countless black kids that grew up in my neighborhood, I did pretty damn good. ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

OP
Krodwhodat

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm Let's see now. First let me say thank you for your service. I am sure you learned a lot in your 8 years and General Mattis was a great influence on you and obviously still is. But before you get too far ahead of yourself and label me as being your "TYPICAL" officer, let me enlighten you on how I got to where I ended up. I got my start as a 25 year old Black African American Private in the Marine Corps. I only listed my color because when I enlisted blacks were still not being treated any better in this country. Being from the south (New Orleans) like me, I am sure you can relate. From there, I worked my tail off to make rank, Lance Corporal, Corporal, then Sergeant (all meritorious promotions). Served two tours to combat areas 12 months each. Selected to Staff Sergeant and then Gunnery Sergeant within 3 years with another combat tour, Selected to the rank of Warrant Officer and before the rank of Warrant Officer 4, served 5 more combat tours with a few tours lasting nearly 18 months. Then selected to the rank of Captain and with two more combat tours ended my career as a full Colonel. Retired with 32 years of service and 100 percent disability total and permanent. Now, I am sure the good general enjoyed his time as a good soldier and worked his *** off to make it where he did, but let's be clear, MY SERVICE TO THIS COULNTRY TAKES A BACKSEAT TO NO ONE, NOT EVEN HIS. You may find it commendable that my NCO's cared deeply for me as well as I was a hands on leader that took care of my Marines. At least that is what they always told me. Now I am sure my rise to the top may seem TYPICAL to you, but to the many men and women under my command and the countless black kids that grew up in my neighborhood, I did pretty damn good. ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was even commenting about your service or anything I said even remotely was related to you. Thanks for your service as well.

BIGSAINTSFAN

Retired "USMC" Warrior
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was even commenting about your service or anything I said even remotely was related to you. Thanks for your service as well.
No worries Krodwhodat. I totally could have read your post wrong. PTSD will do that sometimes. Thank you for your service, really.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom