Gentlemen I hope you got your sleep last night (1 Viewer)

As a lifetime light sleeper, even in college, I've blundered into several remedies to help me sleep better.

1. Space foam over firm mattress, most comfortable.
2. Keep the bedroom COOL! 65 degrees or less.
3. Exercise, but no closer than 3 hours before your bedtime.
4. Stick to a sleep schedule, say 11pm to bed, 7am awake, even on weekends.
5. Your bedroom is for sleeping and sex. No tv, no computer in bed, not even reading. Read in the den, then go to bed.
6. Watch the alcohol. I'm good on 2-3 beers, but anyting beyond that and I'm guaranteed to be restless. Needless to say, my trip to New Orleans was sleep-deficient!!
7. Almost forgot, no large meals less than 3 hours before bedtime

Honestly, the cool room is my best sleep aid. I keep the window at least cracked year round, and here in Maryland we get some cold winter nights. If my hands get cold I just grab my wife, she loves that!!;)

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
As a lifetime light sleeper, even in college, I've blundered into several remedies to help me sleep better.

1. Space foam over firm mattress, most comfortable.
2. Keep the bedroom COOL! 65 degrees or less.
3. Exercise, but no closer than 3 hours before your bedtime.
4. Stick to a sleep schedule, say 11pm to bed, 7am awake, even on weekends.
5. Your bedroom is for sleeping and sex. No tv, no computer in bed, not even reading. Read in the den, then go to bed.
6. Watch the alcohol. I'm good on 2-3 beers, but anyting beyond that and I'm guaranteed to be restless. Needless to say, my trip to New Orleans was sleep-deficient!!

Honestly, the cool room is my best sleep aid. I keep the window at least cracked year round, and here in Maryland we get some cold winter nights. If my hands get cold I just grab my wife, she loves that!!;)

Hope this helps!!

Oh, I agree about keeping the bedroom cool. That is so very true for me, too. I do watch tv in bed, but usually there's something on that will put me to sleep, LOL. I need the distraction, otherwise my mind is spinning with too many thoughts of things to do the next day, worrying about something or other, listening to the dog snore (and I'm not referring to my husband, LOLOL), etc. -- the tv blocks out all the garbage and helps my mind relax. But that works for me; it doesn't work for everyone, that's for sure.

Talk to your family doctor. See if you can get a referral for a sleep test.

Apparently I've had OSA since I was in junior high - the symptoms go back as far as I can remember which is junior high. I might've had it before that.

Also I have RLS.

Both can be diagnosed with a sleep test.

The other thing too - and this is the biggest lifestyle change - is training your body to go to sleep at a certain time. It took me about 6 weeks of strict regimentation.

After 8:00 - nothing heavy to eat. Certainly not a meal. Food too late can have a HUGE impact. A small snack to sate hunger pangs if need be - but that's it. And it goes without saying to avoid one with caffeine or sugar.

At 9:30 I would brush teeth, wash face, etc.....

9:40 - 10:00 I would meditate

10:00 - 10:30 - read something that was not something that would excite or was a tense page turner. Find an episode in history or politics or philosophy or home repair or anything that you have always been interested in and pick up a book. Read for 30 mins.

10:30 - lights out.

If you are still up at 11:00, then get up and do some light activity - email for a bit and try again.

No television. No music.

Opt instead for white noise - my CPAP machine is nice for that, as is the cat's fountain. Try a fan.

It's a lot of discipline - but I can promise you it can work for a lot of people.

There is no daily regimen more important than your sleep, imo.

After the first of my sleep test consults, my sleep habits were so poor and my problems were so severe, that the doctor said the toll on my heart could cost me 10-20 years. A heart attack by the time I was 50. And I am a big guy - 6'6" - but not overweight - about 230. But my heart was taking a beating every night.

Oh, I agree about keeping the bedroom cool. That is so very true for me, too. I do watch tv in bed, but usually there's something on that will put me to sleep, LOL. I need the distraction, otherwise my mind is spinning with too many thoughts of things to do the next day, worrying about something or other, listening to the dog snore (and I'm not referring to my husband, LOLOL), etc. -- the tv blocks out all the garbage and helps my mind relax. But that works for me; it doesn't work for everyone, that's for sure.

IMO, I feel this is where most people have issues. I still have problems shutting my mind down too, but I have found meditation or shamanism to calm me to the point of better clarity. That takes a lot of junk out of the attic if you catch my drift. Once you are able to clear your mind, sleep is shortly after (usually).

With your weight and high BP I am willing to bet that you have sleep apnea. Go see a ENT and have them prescribe a CPAP device. It is a pain to wear but it has helped me emensely.

One night with a CPAP and the gains outweigh any nuisances or discomfort caused by the mask.

Some people I guess take longer.

Once I fell asleep the first night with a CPAP, I was out cold - best sleep I'd had in my life. Didn't even know I was wearing the mask. My wife could tell the difference in my attitude immediately.

Most restorative sleep.

So, like I mentioned in the post above and johnny mentions - talk to your doctor about apnea.

otherwise my mind is spinning with too many thoughts of things to do the next day, worrying about something or other, listening to the dog snore (and I'm not referring to my husband, LOLOL), etc. -- the tv blocks out all the garbage and helps my mind relax. But that works for me; it doesn't work for everyone, that's for sure.

I was the same way. Or thought I was. Went to sleep with the TV on for years.

Once I switched to 15-20 mins of meditation per night, I can't stand the television on. It interrupts my peace whereas I thought it helped distract me from all that was going on.

Also I have RLS.

I have a perfect remedy for that. No pills. Just tense your leg(s) for about 5 to 10 seconds. You may have to do it 2 or 3 times, but I have never had any problems with this treatment nor has anyone I suggested it to say it doesn't work. They love it. Get it a whack and I'd appreciate your findings.

Kellye, you're one of the few women I've met that prefers a cool room. This is the biggest issue for my wife, she likes it warm, and I simply cannot sleep in a warm room. I usually wind up sleeping in boxers while she's next to me under two blankets and the comforter. I'll have both windows open as well, until the aforementioned "cold hands":ezbill:

I was the same way. Or thought I was. Went to sleep with the TV on for years.

Once I switched to 15-20 mins of meditation per night, I can't stand the television on. It interrupts my peace whereas I thought it helped distract me from all that was going on.
I do the same thing as well as try to read someting with a spiritual bent to it just rpior to going to sleep. This calms my mind, and I usually have no trouble falling asleep. Oh, stretching lightly just before bed helps too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom