Geoff Schwartz (guard) released by Detroit... (1 Viewer)

Why is he being released? Anybody know?

Thats what I wanna know. Has anyone watched the lions this preseason? How is he playing?
Was he cut because they have a younger, cheaper option or because he just doesn't have "it" anymore? Surely it wouldn't hurt to kick the tires either way. So long as he isn't asking for too much.

He'd slide right into the starting lineup on week 1 with the way the O-line has looked. Certainly can't hurt and it's not without precedent to do so. Fujita came in "cold" in 2006 and didn't budge from the starting lineup for four years.

No different than in 2009 when we needed LBs right before preseason ended and we got Fujita.

From Wiki:
On March 13, 2006, he signed with the New Orleans Saints, reuniting with former Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator, now head coach Sean Payton. He was the first free agent to join the Saints when they returned to New Orleans after their year-long absence in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Quick, somebody hit CSP and Brees up on the Twitters. This guy needs to come to Nola for a look.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

We need to gone ahead and make a guard release thread tracker lol

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus using Tapatalk

He was one of the three fa's I wanted this year, based on our need and the price of their contracts due to our horrid salary cap situation. Other two being Fairley and D. Allen or L Green. Thought if could stay healthy, would be a good pick up. If Detroit cut him, he's probably done. Really looking like a mistake not to throw money at Slauson when Chicago cut him...

If we get him I hope he does well with us. However he is a journeyman who’s been prone to injury. 5 teams and now entering 10th season, having gone through six surgeries, a severely dislocated toe and badly injured groin.

six surgeries

It's so sad that we're having to scrounge through other teams refuse to find O-linemen...

It's what we did prior to 09. We were constant free agent dumpster divers. Fujita, Shanle, Dunbar, David, Simmons, Polly, Foreman, Deloatch, Simoneau, Kaesviharn, Evans, Herring, Chamberlain, etc....

I can remember reading articles years back about Benson being known as a cheapo owner who refused to allow high-end free agents. How much weight did that carry, I don't know.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I'm surprised he is not in NO by now!! .. People at the airport need to update us.

It's so sad that we're having to scrounge through other teams refuse to find O-linemen...

This is part of the NFL. You can't fill out an entire roster with drafted players and high dollar FAs.

Snead was on the trash heap when we signed him.

There will be more cuts like Schwartz this week and after last cutdown day. Some of these guys will not be cut because they cannot play, but because of age and, more importantly, salary considerations. It will be the same thing we have done and will do again with high priced veterans. The key will be to be patient and see if any cuts this week or next at the OG position primarily can improve this team. I will be surprised if we do not get a veteran/serviceable guard before 9/11.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom