Georgia President steps up for a playoff... (1 Viewer)

March Madness essentially has fans travelling 3 times more or less.

While the travelling 3 times is hard, people manage to travel for every game during the regular season for many of these teams. As far as the revenues go, I'm not sure why you'd think they would take a hit. Any hit that would be taken could easily be recouped through sponsors because everyone will watch the playoff games where as not everyone watches every bowl, so more bang for the buck for the sponsors and TV contracts

And how big are basketball stadiums typically? 18,000 at the most. Take half of that for each team...it's a lot easier to get 9,000 people to travel than is to get 45,000 fans from each team for the Rose Bowl or the new Texas Stadium. And that Hawaii team that gets in the playoffs is not going to travel well 3 times (if they are that successful). Even the best traveling fans of any team would find it taxing to travel to 3 different venues in consecutive weeks. It's a money thing man.

And how big are basketball stadiums typically? 18,000 at the most. Take half of that for each team...it's a lot easier to get 9,000 people to travel than is to get 45,000 fans from each team for the Rose Bowl or the new Texas Stadium. And that Hawaii team that gets in the playoffs is not going to travel well 3 times (if they are that successful). Even the best traveling fans of any team would find it taxing to travel to 3 different venues in consecutive weeks. It's a money thing man.

So a lower seed team would get stuck without having fans? I mean if getting fans to show up to three bowl games is so rough, then the low seed teams would either not have fans at the first game, making the HFA even greater for the other team or they would miss out on the NCG because they already went to two games and three times is just too much? I'll go ahead and call BS on that

You'd have 4 teams travel once
2 teams travel twice and
2 teams travel thrice

Pretty sure with that the fans would find a way to get there. More importantly most of this stuff would happen while the kids are on break so they could roadtrip (one of the greatest pleasures of the college experience) where as the rich boosters don't really care about the $$$.

Plus like I said, the best fans already hit every away game as it is so what's three more to them? At least, unlike regular season games, this stuff would happen while the kids don't need to miss school so they can go while they would otherwise be sitting around at home.

So a lower seed team would get stuck without having fans? I mean if getting fans to show up to three bowl games is so rough, then the low seed teams would either not have fans at the first game, making the HFA even greater for the other team or they would miss out on the NCG because they already went to two games and three times is just too much? I'll go ahead and call BS on that

You'd have 4 teams travel once
2 teams travel twice and
2 teams travel thrice

Pretty sure with that the fans would find a way to get there. More importantly most of this stuff would happen while the kids are on break so they could roadtrip (one of the greatest pleasures of the college experience) where as the rich boosters don't really care about the $$$.

Plus like I said, the best fans already hit every away game as it is so what's three more to them? At least, unlike regular season games, this stuff would happen while the kids don't need to miss school so they can go while they would otherwise be sitting around at home.

Well, I guess the small picture is that the lower seeded teams wouldn't travel as well and that sucks for them. The bigger picture is you'd have a stadium at 60% - 70% capacity at best for what's supposed to be a hyped playoff game. Major networks don't want to present that to the national audience. They want huge crowds. Kids roadtrip, sure enough, but the NCAA doesn't need the 18-22 demographic of fan. They really need the 26-35 male demographic, a demographic with a lot of the disposable income in the US. And these people have to work. I can assure you they don't want to take 3 weeks off from work to zig zag across the nation to follow their team. Doesn't mean they aren't real fans. It's setting your priorities.

And I don't think the college football players would be as eager about this playoff system as you think. No breaks at all? Sure the NFL does it but the fact of the matter is that most college athletes aren't cut out for an NFL schedule. They use college football as a way to get an education, which in reality the ultimate goal anyways.

There's only about 2 or 3 teams every year that cry about wanting a playoff. The rest realize that they didn't do what it took to be the best in the nation. The other 2 or so teams that want it, well these teams change their minds every year, because teams only choose to cry playoff when in suits their situation.

Like I listed in the other thread, there are many other reasons why a playoff is a bad idea for Div. 1A.

>>Well, I guess the small picture is that the lower seeded teams wouldn't travel as well and that sucks for them. The bigger picture is you'd have a stadium at 60% - 70% capacity at best for what's supposed to be a hyped playoff game. Major networks don't want to present that to the national audience.

Come on man. That isn't rooted in reality I don't think. The interest in games where teams are actually playing for something besides a corporate trophy would push interest in college football to an all time high. Sure, I had most of the bowl games on in the backround, but I didn't care who won the Car Quest Bowl or the insight.com bowl. Put something there that means something and I'll watch it. I can't be the only one.

TPS

How many bowl games this year had empty stadiums because they meant nothing? Doesn't stop them. Honestly, looking at the waiting list for tickets, I think that they'd have no trouble selling out all three games for the two teams that get that far, and it would allow more people opportunities to see a key game.

Well, I guess the small picture is that the lower seeded teams wouldn't travel as well and that sucks for them. The bigger picture is you'd have a stadium at 60% - 70% capacity at best for what's supposed to be a hyped playoff game. Major networks don't want to present that to the national audience. They want huge crowds. Kids roadtrip, sure enough, but the NCAA doesn't need the 18-22 demographic of fan. They really need the 26-35 male demographic, a demographic with a lot of the disposable income in the US. And these people have to work. I can assure you they don't want to take 3 weeks off from work to zig zag across the nation to follow their team. Doesn't mean they aren't real fans. It's setting your priorities.

I don't think that anything here is really based in reality. One, the 18-22 demographic is where you hook your fans for life. Get them in now and get them for life. Its not like those boosters that pay top $$ for the coaches just started likeing the team sometime between 26-35.

As far as the working folk with disposable income, somehow people like myself manage to find ways to travel to away games for the Saints and the Playoffs yet not miss three weeks of work. Sure the locations that host these games wouldn't see as big of a shot from the game, but it is possible to travel to games without missing any work (as I do every year), let alone 3 weeks of work. I did just like you said, I set my priorities. I go to work, then I leave and enjoy the weekend in another city and go to the game. Pretty easy to do.

And I don't think the college football players would be as eager about this playoff system as you think. No breaks at all? Sure the NFL does it but the fact of the matter is that most college athletes aren't cut out for an NFL schedule. They use college football as a way to get an education, which in reality the ultimate goal anyways.

Another BS argument. If the goal of college players is to get an education then why do we let them leave early for the NFL? These games would be played while on break so, unlike March Madness, these guys would not miss class to travel. Finally, the players already miss classes during the regular season to travel. Any argument that these kids can't have a playoff because they are there to get an education is silly.

There's only about 2 or 3 teams every year that cry about wanting a playoff. The rest realize that they didn't do what it took to be the best in the nation. The other 2 or so teams that want it, well these teams change their minds every year, because teams only choose to cry playoff when in suits their situation.

Like I listed in the other thread, there are many other reasons why a playoff is a bad idea for Div. 1A.

Yes but the more important thing is that 1. teams are crying about the playoffs (and as mentioned so did Florida last year too) and 2. 99.9% of all college fans cry about playoffs every year.

My question for you here is are you defending the BCS system or do you recognize that it is probably the worst system ever invented?

>>Well, I guess the small picture is that the lower seeded teams wouldn't travel as well and that sucks for them. The bigger picture is you'd have a stadium at 60% - 70% capacity at best for what's supposed to be a hyped playoff game. Major networks don't want to present that to the national audience.

Come on man. That isn't rooted in reality I don't think. The interest in games where teams are actually playing for something besides a corporate trophy would push interest in college football to an all time high. Sure, I had most of the bowl games on in the backround, but I didn't care who won the Car Quest Bowl or the insight.com bowl. Put something there that means something and I'll watch it. I can't be the only one.

TPS

Well the attendance issue is probably just a minor problem in the big scheme of things. I think it's important enough to be considered though. The conclusion will always be the same though. Playoffs are just too problematic for Div 1A football.

It can work everywhere else, but not here. Don't you think if there was a legitimately fair and equitable way to configure a playoff, that it would have been done already? College football pre-dates any other sport with a playoff system. That's part of the problem....too much tradition rooted in college football. It's why the Pac-10 and Big 10 will not relinquish their Rose Bowl affiliation and why they will not conform to a conference championship format. To even begin to construct a true and honest playoff system, they would have to start by overhauling a great deal of what makes college football special in the first place.

An 8 team playoff isn't anywhere close to enough teams to represent enough. 8 teams represents 6% of college football teams. In comparison 6% of NFL teams in a playoff would mean that there would be only 2 teams that would qualify for post season play. If you're going to make a playoff, make it so it's fair for everyone, not just when your team is barely good enough to be in the conversation.

>>It can work everywhere else, but not here. Don't you think if there was a legitimately fair and equitable way to configure a playoff, that it would have been done already?

Well the problems are the vested interests. I think Georgia's President did an okay job of illuminating who they were - television stations, corporate sponsors, the bowls themselves, etc. None of these people put on the pads or helmets but they have a major say in who does what. Alternatively, I don't know that there is a fair way to make college schedules equitable which is why there is going to have to be some type of schedule factor in the determination of who gets to go.

>>An 8 team playoff isn't anywhere close to enough teams to represent enough. 8 teams represents 6% of college football teams....

While I understand your point, there is still a bowl structure which could accomodate another 20-30 teams. But then we're not talking about an undefeated Auburn missing out at a chance at the title or 3rd in the BCS USC getting snubbed in favor of an Oklahoma team that was beaten pretty soundly by Kansas State in their conference championship but who was rated so strongly in the power ratings that they stayed at #1 and got to play anyway. Say you use the BCS formula minus the wimp factor for smaller schools such as Hawaii. Your 8 teams are:

Ohio State
LSU
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Georgia
Missouri
USC
Kansas

So the argument basically becomes did Virginia Tech, Hawaii, Arizona State or Florida (teams 9-12) belong in the playoffs over Kansas. That's somewhat insignificant compared to whether West Virginia or Georgia belonged because they got in anyway (ditto for USC).

IMHO, they can come up with any forumla they want. Bottom line is that most fans want this settled on the field. Most vested interests do not. They are motivated by money and greed while the fans are motivated in seeing someone legitimately earn a championship.

TPS

IMHO, they can come up with any forumla they want. Bottom line is that most fans want this settled on the field. Most vested interests do not. They are motivated by money and greed while the fans are motivated in seeing someone legitimately earn a championship.

TPS

Funniest thing is I think outside of the bowl tradition BS, all the other vested interest folks could make so much more $$$$$ with a playoff system they just aren't willing to change.

While I understand your point, there is still a bowl structure which could accomodate another 20-30 teams. But then we're not talking about an undefeated Auburn missing out at a chance at the title or 3rd in the BCS USC getting snubbed in favor of an Oklahoma team that was beaten pretty soundly by Kansas State in their conference championship but who was rated so strongly in the power ratings that they stayed at #1 and got to play anyway. Say you use the BCS formula minus the wimp factor for smaller schools such as Hawaii. Your 8 teams are:

Ohio State
LSU
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Georgia
Missouri
USC
Kansas

So the argument basically becomes did Virginia Tech, Hawaii, Arizona State or Florida (teams 9-12) belong in the playoffs over Kansas. That's somewhat insignificant compared to whether West Virginia or Georgia belonged because they got in anyway (ditto for USC).

TPS

Well I guess now you're seeing how many problems a playoff would create. An 8 team playoff is too simplistic to work. Like I said, while we're solving a big problem (like an undefeated Auburn) the 8 team playoff isn't set up to be fair to less prestigious conferences unless all conferences get automatic bids, which is why the NCAA Basketball tourney works.

Of course it's about money, and even if the 8-team playoff came to fruition, it would only be because it's profitable.

Wonder if we'd hear from the crybabies if they were playing last night....... I'm guessing not....

You call another college team crybabies, while whining in your avatar about your own team's player? I see that yours is an opinion I can ignore in the future....

Adams is a piece of (insert word). He gets booed at every UGA event when he is announced. If it werent so clear that some sort of playoff was needed, I would be against it since he thinks it is a good idea.

I agree completely...

You call another college team crybabies, while whining in your avatar about your own team's player? I see that yours is an opinion I can ignore in the future....

I'm calling UGA crybabies because your coach campaigned for them being in, when you were UGA was *at best* the THIRD best team in the SEC. That is not argueable, UGA's record says so. I could care less if they looked pretty in the last couple of games.

edit: btw, Mark Richt said he would have a rule that you could not be in the BCS hunt without winning your conference. His campaigning was disingenuous....he knows they don't belong [I do respect his honesty on the 'rule' question, tho]

Win your division.

Win your conference.

UGA did neither. Beat UT next time.

And Reggie is probably not a "bust", but he ain't what he's hyped to be. He was terribly misused this year. In a proper role, he will be a good player.

Criticizing a player, and whining about being "left out" are related how?? :dunno:

Last edited:
Let see if it was a true plus 1 LSU would have played in the Sugar bowl against Hawaii and it would have been USC against Ohio and then it would have been LSU against Ohio in the plus one. Georgia would have played in maybe in the GMAC Bowl or some other Bowl game no one talks about with Illinois or Kansas after all they were a Third place team in the SEC.

As far as a a 8 team Playoff Georgia would be left out this year due to placing 3rd in the SEC.

As far as a a 8 team Playoff Georgia would be left out this year due to placing 3rd in the SEC.

I didnt see anywhere where anyone said only the top two teams from a conference would be in the 8 team playoff. I would think it would be based on the arbitrary rankings that are still in place today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom