Gerald McCoy Says He Will Sign 'Wherever I Got to Go to Win' After Bucs Release (1 Viewer)

For those Who Dat faithful wanting to see Gerald McCoy in black and gold there is still a glimmer of hope. He hasn’t agreed to a deal with the Browns, Ravens, and now, apparently, the Panthers. The latest from Rotoworld here.......

Free agent DT Gerald McCoy will take the weekend to mull his options before deciding where to sign.
McCoy just concluded his meeting with the Panthers, his third free-agent visit following previous sit-downs with Baltimore and Cleveland. It's hard to guess where McCoy is leaning, though the veteran has made it clear that playing for a contender takes precedence over money. Look for the six-time Pro Bowler to make his decision early next week.

Last edited:
He hasn’t visited the Saints and is now going to ponder his choice. Looks like elsewhere to me!

He hasn’t visited the Saints and is now going to ponder his choice. Looks like elsewhere to me!

Not necessarily. He may not have to meet with us. He likely knows what our offer is. We were one of the first teams that were reported to have an interest. Us and and the Pats. So he probably knows where both teams are money-wise, and definitely knows where both teams are at as far as being contenders.

IMO he is making the rounds to see where his value is currently. We could possibly be his first choice but $ will be a factor as well. I think he could come to us with what he is being offered and let us hash something out a little team friendlier that works for both sides. By design we might be last on his list to visit so we can have Brees as the final pitch he has to hear and think about. Also remember Brees was willing to redo his contract to land Josh Norman a few years ago.. I think he would be even more willing to do so for one of his best friends as he ends his career. We went after Suh hard last season and that was with a healthy Rankins.. I have a good feeling about this one..

I see it this way, he says playing with a winner is important, but that will not trump money in the end. If a "winner" (Saints, Pats) offers him say, 85-90% of what a non-winner offers (Ravens, Browns, Panthers, etc) then he might have a hard choice to make, but if a non-winner offers double, you take the money.

Not necessarily. He may not have to meet with us. He likely knows what our offer is. We were one of the first teams that were reported to have an interest. Us and and the Pats. So he probably knows where both teams are money-wise, and definitely knows where both teams are at as far as being contenders.

Bingo! Good stuff! Brees knows him very well. SP and the DA have played against him 2x a year for many years. Just as you said Dutar, he may not need to come down for an official visit.

Bingo! Good stuff! Brees knows him very well. SP and the DA have played against him 2x a year for many years. Just as you said Dutar, he may not need to come down for an official visit.

All unicorns aside, there are a lot of places he can go and win (coming from the bucs)
But if he wants a shot at a Championship, the list gets a whole lot shorter.

Predicting who will and who will not be a Superbowl contender is a long shot.
I'd imagine he wants to go to a team that he thinks can win their division.
That gets him into the playoffs for the first time in his career.
Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.

The question is, how much is the opportunity to have a shot really worth to him in money terms.
How many millions of dollars would he in effect "pay" for a just a "chance" at making the playoffs?

There may be a number... 1 or 2 million maybe?
But when you look at it from the perspective of a player "paying" for a mere "chance", it makes me think the number might be zero.
I hope not, because there's no way in heck we'll be the highest bidder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom