German Fan planning trip to see Saints live in Nola (1 Viewer)

booya

All-Pro
Reaction score
Hi all.

I had posted this somewhere else already but received only very few responses. So trying here again.

I am from Hamburg in Germany.
I coached and played football myself for several years and founded and coached the youth Club where Kasim Edebali (some might remember him) started playing Football in Germany.

So I truely love Football since some decades

I am currently considering making my dream true and make a short trip to NOLA to see the Saints play.
Can't miss that part in my live. Being in Nola + Saints + seeing Drew play = GOLDEN
Flights are currently very expensive but seeing a game during the Saints second Superbowl run... can't miss that.

Most likly mid November or till mid December. One plan atm is the game against the Eagles but I haven't booked anything yet.

Sooo... to make the most out of it could I need some tipps.

1)
Like in which area in the Stadium should I book the tickets.
Yeah of course do I like to see good but more important is the atmosphere.
So, is there any particular area where I could find the most enthausastic fans and still hope to get a ticket in that area?

2) Any other games you can recommend between mid-November until mid December?
Maybe something else going on in the City during that time?

3)
I am also a big fan of typical local cuisine. So definitly have to try local cajun food.
My Dad is German but my mother is from Martinique so I do have french carbibeean roots.
But I again here prefer typical old style atmosphere over modern high class ambiente

4) Gameday itself... is there anything happening before and/or after that I should take into account? Tailgate etc?

5) Meet and talk to some other Saints fans on the days before or after the game to have a beer or 2 or 3 with them and talk some Football.
Any bars/places that are bleeding black&gold and where you can meet other fans and chat with them?

Appreciate any guidance and tipps.

Eric

Hi all.

I had posted this somewhere else already but received only very few responses. So trying here again.

I coached and played football myself for several years and founded and coached the youth Club where Kasim Edebali (some might remember him) started playing Football in Germany.

I am currently considering making my dream true and make a short trip to NOLA to see the Saints play.
Can't miss that part in my live. Being in Nola + Saints + seeing Drew play = GOLDEN
Flights are currently very expensive but seeing a game during the Saints second Superbowl run... can't miss that.

Most likly mid November or till mid December. One plan atm is the game against the Eagles but I haven't booked anything yet.

1)
So, is there any particular area where I could find the most enthausastic fans and still hope to get a ticket in that area?

3)
I am also a big fan of typical local cuisine. So definitly have to try local cajun food.
My Dad is German but my mother is from Martinique so I do have french carbibeean roots.
But I again here prefer typical old style atmosphere over modern high class ambiente

4) Gameday itself... is there anything happening before and/or after that I should take into account? Tailgate etc?

5) Meet and talk to some other Saints fans on the days before or after the game to have a beer or 2 or 3 with them and talk some Football.
Any bars/places that are bleeding black&gold and where you can meet other fans and chat with them?

Eric

In terms of flights I'd highly recommend looking at going via London with British Airways that's my new route. I'm in Scotland and managed to get return flights for £500/€560/$660 in September. What you'll likely find is that your hotel cost will end up more than your flight.

I try to plan my trips around back to back home games and do at least 8 days to make the most of it.

We play the Eagles and Falcons back to back home games in a 4 day stretch in November. So you could take advantage of that. Or if were just the one game I'd shoot for the Falcons game prime time 22/11 which is thanksgiving.

Also in terms of weather I'd say the best time for anyone not used to the climate to visit would be October-November if you still want a little bit of what us Europeans would consider warmth. Personally September has never been an issue for me but my girlfriend almost fainted after the Browns game this year.

For where you wanna sit that's a tough one, I've had sideline seats in the front row before and while it's incredible down there it's a lot harder to follow the game and obviously the seats are much more pricey. If you wanna see the whole game and don't mind sitting up in the cheap seats you'll get one for $50-70 or so. Personally I try and get as close to the halfway line as possible up in the nose bleeds.

There's always something happening in New Orleans, no matter the time of year you'll have fun that's for sure.

Booya...so glad that your going to finally see our Saints play!

1) Plaza level and lower Loge level are what I prefer viewing wise.
But, Terrace level has that electric feel to it when the Saints are rocking and rolling!

2) Saints vs Falcons will be a good one as well (hated division foe)

3) Cafe Maspero in the French Quarter is really good, Drago's downtown is really good, Antoine's and Commander's Palace are a cut above the rest.

4) There's usually a concert in Champions Square, adjacent to the Superdome, before home games.

5) Some of the other Saints fans on here will have to help with this one. It's been years since I've darkened the doors of the old bars/taverns of old New Orleans :)

I know that you will enjoy your time in my old hometown!

Treat yourself to brunch at Brennans' before walking down the street for a noon game.

Also, Tulane University has a German club that you could join for the game.

Finally, learn the chant:

Wer das?
Wer das?
Wer das sagt, das sie die Heilege schlagen koennon?

Treat yourself to brunch at Brennans' before walking down the street for a noon game.

Wer das?
Wer das?
How could I have forgotten about Brennan's?!? Ugggghhj.

The best time to go would be in mid-November. Why? The Saints play consecutive home games over a 5 day span (Sunday/Thursday). If you’re going to spend the money/go to the trouble of going to New Orleans, you might as well get the best experience possible.

Trust me. There isn’t another city like New Orleans: getting to see the Saints play twice? Epic.

(I’ll be there for both games as well!)

2 games for the flight price of one....
Sounds like an Epic plan!

And don't worry about the chant. You will hear me scream that. I can scream very very loud. :)

The best time to go would be in mid-November. Why? The Saints play consecutive home games over a 5 day span (Sunday/Thursday). If you’re going to spend the money/go to the trouble of going to New Orleans, you might as well get the best experience possible.

Trust me. There isn’t another city like New Orleans: getting to see the Saints play twice? Epic.

(I’ll be there for both games as well!)
This. Get 2 games and a night prime time game against the falcons at that.
Excellent weather
Plenty to do during the week
Go to maple leaf to see rebirth
Get out of the city to city park or venture to the lake
Take streetcars everywhere
Have fun

Alright so flight is booked … stay is organized.

I received a few tipps already. Thanks for that!

Still searching for a good bargin on the ticket for the Falcons game cause the flight from Germany is quite expensive.

And... to make the best out of it am I ooking for a real nice old fashioned Saints bar to watch the other games on Sunday as I am staying till Monday the 26th.
Ideally with some people who love talking Football. I am a former Coach myself so I know some x&o

Also planning to watch some Tulane Football
HS football Season is over or?

Hi all.

1)

3)

Eric

Awesome! You will LOVE it. Have fun Eric!!!
I’ll let the locals handle the answering of your questions.

Still searching for a good bargin on the ticket for the Falcons game cause the flight from Germany is quite expensive.

And... to make the best out of it am I ooking for a real nice old fashioned Saints bar to watch the other games on Sunday as I am staying till Monday the 26th.
Ideally with some people who love talking Football. I am a former Coach myself so I know some x&o

HS will be in playoffs, so you won't know who/where until the weekend before, but Tad Gormley will most likely be hosting a game and that's a fun 'old-timey' stadium to watch a game

Die Heiligen sind die Besten! Wer das? Wer das? Wer sagt, dass sie diese Heiligen schlagen werden? Nicht der Falke! Die Falken saugen!

Hope that's close enough. You are going to have an awesome time!

Wer das?
Wer das?
Now that is really funny. Somehow, funny things in English sound funnier in German. "I'm a Lumberjack, and I'm okay." is hysterical auf Deutsch.
Have a great time, Booya!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom