Movie Get Back (Peter Jackson’s film based on unreleased video of Beatles Let it Be sessions) (1 Viewer)

Hard disagree, by any measure of any genre, Grand Funk in no way resembles a heavy metal band. Nor does Led Zeppelin...there may be aspects of heaviness in their songs but that is where it ends.

Sabbath was probably the first true heavy metal band IMO....
Some of the early to mid 70s Sabbath stuff it sounds incredibly heavy to me given the time frame it's from.

They released 2 albums. Volume 1 and 3.

Probably would have made a few more even after Roy Orbison's death if Del Shannon hadn't committed suicide in 1990.
Indeed. I couldn’t see the Beatles with Clapton and Dylan lasting long, but I could see them lasting longer than they did (which wasn’t long after that album).

The Traveling Wilburys were formed too late in life. Had they formed a decade or two earlier (late 60s early 70s) you probably would have gotten a few more albums from them.

Thinking about what I just watched, I am more impressed by how well rounded each person was. Everyone could play 2-3 more instruments (everyone played piano, guitar, and drums). I’m no musician, however two of my siblings are, and they can play piano, guitar, and drums, but is it common for musicians to play multiple instruments?

Indeed. I couldn’t see the Beatles with Clapton and Dylan lasting long, but I could see them lasting longer than they did (which wasn’t long after that album).

I think it would have been more like one of them said Beatles and Company. Which would have been pretty neat to see. The Beatles making albums with a revolving number of artists coming in and out of the band. Could have been a cool thing to see.

The Traveling Wilburys were formed too late in life. Had they formed a decade or two earlier (late 60s early 70s) you probably would have gotten a few more albums from them.

The crazy thing is Roy was only 52 (!!!) when he passed away. In 1988 Dylan was 47, Harrison 45 and Petty 38. Old by rock and roll standards but not exactly gereatrics like I thought of them when I was younger (funny how that works :hihi:)

Thinking about what I just watched, I am more impressed by how well rounded each person was. Everyone could play 2-3 more instruments (everyone played piano, guitar, and drums). I’m no musician, however two of my siblings are, and they can play piano, guitar, and drums, but is it common for musicians to play multiple instruments?

I recently watched one of those Wired "google" interviews with McCartney and he said how he can't really "play" piano and drums. He can do his songs on them but if you asked him to play like some Beethoven or something he couldn't do it.

Hard disagree, by any measure of any genre, Grand Funk in no way resembles a heavy metal band. Nor does Led Zeppelin...there may be aspects of heaviness in their songs but that is where it ends.

Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Deep Purple are considered the progenitors of metal. That's pretty widely accepted.

Last edited:

If you are rightly seen as a pioneering heavy metal band by many individual members, guitarists, drummers, influential personalities within heavy metal community over the past 50 years, Led Zeppelin kind of has to be included as part of the larger, broader conversation about development of hard rock/heavy metal bands beginning in the late 60's and up until the present day.

It doesn't matter if their music when they were at their height of popularity never sounded or had the heaviness of later legendary bands like Judas Priest, Def Leopard, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, or thrash metal bands like Slayer, Metallica, or Anthrax, all of those above-mentioned bands have cited or praised Zeppelin's music, lyrics and songs as key influences in developing their musical identity, image, and overall sound. Some bands, including members of Metallica, Megadeth, British New Wave Heavy Metal bands have gone on the record as saying without bands like Led Zeppelin and even more so Sabbath, they probably never exist. I know Lars Ulrich and James Hatfield of Metallica were huge Zeppelin fans growing up and haven't been too shy in singing their praises in interviews for decades now.

Keep in mind, and Brandon kind of touched on this point in his reply, even the hardest, heaviest and grungiest of early Black Sabbath songs dating back to N.I.B., Warning, most of the songs on this Paranoid album, were deeply entrenched and more heavily influenced by American electric blues bands and musicians, even Mississippi Delta Blues musicians then what later heavy metal bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and even Judas Priest which didnt showcase much of a blues influence.

Mine too. By far the best musician in the band and I like his voice and at least some of his song writing better than those other 2 guys....

Im sorry, but i just cant with this…. It’s one thing for people in this thread to say that George was ‘their favorite Beatle’ and they enjoyed his writing or whatever, hey it’s a free country, and we’re all allowed our personal favorites.. but to say that George was “by far the best musician in the band”?? Look, if that’s ur sizzling hot take then ok- and I’m no expert on what makes someone a great musician- but in terms of talent, Ringo and George had talent, but not even a fraction of what Paul and John had.. the thing that made The Beatles “The Beatles” wasnt whatever Ringo had to offer on drums, or whatever George had in the way of writing or guitar playing.. they are both nice musicians, but John & Paul were GENIUSES…. What made The Beatles the best band, nay the best ENTITY in all of popular culture history, including movies, tv, music, literature, etc what made them was the combustible MAGIC that happened when a kid named Lennon met another kid named McCartney on the shores of the Mersey River…. The two of them woulda been the best band ever , even if they’d kept Pete Best or almost anyone else.. Please, let’s not get reality twisted here.

And no, i haven’t seen the documentary , but i dont need to since im a Beatles fan since the age of 7 yrs old.

Im sorry, but i just cant with this…. It’s one thing for people in this thread to say that George was ‘their favorite Beatle’ and they enjoyed his writing or whatever, hey it’s a free country, and we’re all allowed our personal favorites.. but to say that George was “by far the best musician in the band”?? Look, if that’s ur sizzling hot take then ok- and I’m no expert on what makes someone a great musician- but in terms of talent, Ringo and George had talent, but not even a fraction of what Paul and John had.. the thing that made The Beatles “The Beatles” wasnt whatever Ringo had to offer on drums, or whatever George had in the way of writing or guitar playing.. they are both nice musicians, but John & Paul were GENIUSES…. What made The Beatles the best band, nay the best ENTITY in all of popular culture history, including movies, tv, music, literature, etc what made them was the combustible MAGIC that happened when a kid named Lennon met another kid named McCartney on the shores of the Mersey River…. The two of them woulda been the best band ever , even if they’d kept Pete Best or almost anyone else.. Please, let’s not get reality twisted here.

And no, i haven’t seen the documentary , but i dont need to since im a Beatles fan since the age of 7 yrs old.

I haven't seen it yet either....and it's not just my hot take.

I happen to know a number of musicians, most of them agree that George was...by far....the best most dynamic musician in the group, his slide playing is fantastic. Steve Morse did a tribute album of his favorite guitar players, he did original instrumental guitar music based on a favorite influence (songs inspired by Hendrix, Page, Duane Allman, Leslie West, Steve Howe and.....George Harrison)...that speaks volumes to me....George's solo work is vastly underrated IMO, it is certainly not as "popular" as Paul's or John's but it is better IMO....

Without Brian Epstein they were a rudderless ship.
But Epstein died in mid-1967. They released a lot of terrific music after that as well. I'm not sure even Epstein was going to keep them together by 1970.

But Epstein died in mid-1967. They released a lot of terrific music after that as well. I'm not sure even Epstein was going to keep them together by 1970.
Music wasn't the issue which broke them up. Or at least partly. Epstein ran all the businesses up until his death. There has been a lot written about what a huge stress point Apple Music was and how they struggled internally on decisions about the business. By rudderless ship I was referring to the lack of management. Then when they decided they needed management to step back in a take over the "empire" they couldn't agree. Some wanted Allen Klein and Paul wanted Linda's family to run the business. If Epstein wouldn't have died then they likely would have broken up eventually but for individual creative desires but there likely wounldn't have been bad blood between Paul and John, IMO.

Music wasn't the issue which broke them up. Or at least partly. Epstein ran all the businesses up until his death. There has been a lot written about what a huge stress point Apple Music was and how they struggled internally on decisions about the business. By rudderless ship I was referring to the lack of management. Then when they decided they needed management to step back in a take over the "empire" they couldn't agree. Some wanted Allen Klein and Paul wanted Linda's family to run the business. If Epstein wouldn't have died then they likely would have broken up eventually but for individual creative desires but there likely wounldn't have been bad blood between Paul and John, IMO.
Maybe, but its also even likelier that even if Epstein doesn't die and Beatles eventually do break up, there's still a lot of bitterness and creative bad blood existing between George Harrison and John and Paul. George, in both scenarios, is still left feeling resentful, bitter and angry that a lot of his great songs (which were mostly released on his solo LP's, and were actually good lyrically and musically but rarely reached Paul or John's level, save a few exceptions). I don't think that particular feud could ever be successful avoided and in a still-Epstein controlled band, the amount of rancor, spiteful venomous attitudes probably end up being worse than what they did in case of after Epstein's death.

You can only have so many legendary songwriters in a top-selling, critically acclaimed band. George Harrison reminds me a talented songwriter who usually can put out good, decent songs, but there's always others who are and remain on a different level and he's both envious and jealous of the success, fame and adulation these tier of songwriters achieve, but its extremely difficult to write, articulate, and think on their level, but sometimes one knows their capable of "overreaching" and getting to that next level, but its rare and fleeting. What was the brutally honest opinion J.K. Simmons character said in Whiplash, "the greatest enemy or barrier to being great in music is being very, very good". I think that sentiment kind of sums up Harrison's music, or his lyrical ability. Concert for Bangladesh, All Things Must Pass, My Sweet Lord, all great songs, albums, benefit concerts, etc. It's just not on those other guys' level and the realization of that truism or fact had to have hurt Harrison or bothered him tremendously during his post-Beatles solo career.

Its all subjective, but the more time goes on the more impressive Paul is to me as a musician. He was covering guitar parts that George couldn't play and even put down some drum tracks, and basically started playing bass for the beatles because nobody else could (or was willing to learn). He gets my vote as "best musician" in the group.
I saw a short video that talked about a time when the group was fighting amongst themselves. Paul went into the studio and began recording their next album by himself. I'll post it if I get a chance to dig around and find it

I saw a short video that talked about a time when the group was fighting amongst themselves. Paul went into the studio and began recording their next album by himself. I'll post it if I get a chance to dig around and find it

The Rick Rubin series with Paul had a ton of those moments - Rick plays bits of some iconic Beatles song that you assume is a John or George guitar riff - 'that's you, right?'' Paul: "yeah that's me"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom