Getting a new tv, need help. (1 Viewer)

It really depends on you.

both look pretty good, i just bought a 42 inch hitachi ultravision plasma 1080i from them. It was only 999.99 and I am really impressed. I like it alot better than my 51 inch sony lcd

I don't like the brands you mentioned

That was an extremely useful post.

Both of the tvs that you mentioned are good entry level name brand sets. I know for a fact the toshiba is good, my parents have one, and i have the 57 inch. The JVC im less familiar with, im under the impression its pretty barebones, but it IS 1080p, so that's a selling point. Really it depends on preference. Get out there and look at them in the stores, ask to demo your ps3 on it if you're really serious about getting what you want. But definitely look at them in person.

Of the two I would definitely go with the Toshiba.

if you have a ps3, i'd reconmend paying the extra money for a hdtv that will run 1080p. Most sat. and cable hd content will be in 1080i, but if for a couple of extra hundreds bucks you will kick yourself if you don't .

if you have a ps3, i'd reconmend paying the extra money for a hdtv that will run 1080p. Most sat. and cable hd content will be in 1080i, but if for a couple of extra hundreds bucks you will kick yourself if you don't .

I bought a 42" LCD made by Insignia this weekend. Apparently, Insignia is the store brand of Best Buy and made by LG, according to the store clerk. At least I've heard of LG electronics.

I don't know if this is a "good TV" or not, but I can tell you this: it is the BEST price I've seen for a 42" LCD with 1080 and I've been looking for awhile. I've been waiting for MONTHS for a price drop, but with recent news of mandated HD transmissions and coversion boxes for older TVs, I don't think the price is gonna drop much more (if at all!) for a long time. There may be "better" sets available, but I looked at ALL the screens on the wall and my eyes can't tell the difference. If I can't see a difference, I'm not paying for it!

Choosing between the 720 for $809 and the 1080 for $946, I decided to go with the 1080 for the EXACT reason he cited above. Bonus for me...they had an "open box" special for $897...brand new, except the box was busted up a little.......same new warranty, etc...

Good luck...

I have 4 Sony's and have had no trouble with any of them. I also agree with Jeff concerning the 1080p being you have a PS3. This can be used for playing blu-ray HD movies.

Last edited:
I have the 42" Toshiba Regza and love it. I would only recommend upgrading that PS3 to an XBox 360. :D

I would highly recommend getting a Samsung. I have 4 of them at my place.

Sony isn't bad either...especially since they buy their interior TV parts from Samsung.

Last edited:
Why is this one so cheap? What is 10000:1 contrast ratio and how much better is 25000:1 contrast ratio? Can you see much of a difference?

http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-hl-...-hdtv-1080p-10-000-1/q/loc/111/204087679.html

EDIT: Also, how much better is the other one that I posted? It's a few hundred bucks more. Has some type of LED engine which I also know nothing about.

Contrast is where your black level shows. The 16ms response time will probably be a deal killer with that t.v. It would probably be quite blurry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom