Getting Lasik in two weeks... (1 Viewer)

Had it done in Bangkok in 2000...sounds like the procedure is a bit different now.
No regrets...i understand there are many options available now, check them all.

Had it done in Bangkok in 2000...sounds like the procedure is a bit different now.
No regrets...i understand there are many options available now, check them all.

I understand that can make a hard man humble....

Had it done 12 years ago after wearing glasses since the 3rd grade. I was legally blind so it was very much life changing. The only thing is I had a very bad headache for several hours after the surgery. That's more the exception than the rule though.

Had it done 10 years ago. I was nearsighted. I never had any irritation or anything. Now, I am a twitcher (you should see me trying to put eye drops in) and they didn't give me near enough Valium to calm me down. The doctor even asked me whether I was "feeling" the Valium I guess because I was still twitching even though the speculum was keeping my eyelids open.

However, he told me that, at some point, I would still need reading glasses and, at some point, I did.

The latest procedure uses the laser only, no cutting of the cornea. I think the nearest city where the procedure is done is Atlanta. I'm sure it will branch out to New Orleans as it gets more popular. I will eventually get it done.

Are you speaking of the IntraLase procedure? Dr. Jeff Singer offers this in Metairie, LA today. It eliminates the use of the blade to create the corneal flap, and is straight laser from start to finish.

So funny that this came up because my consultation is scheduled for next Wed. I am going to try to schedule the surgery for Thursday 3/28 if possible, since I'm off the following week. I've been wearing eyeglasses since I was 8, and contacts since 12. I am looking forward to just using my eyes after almost 30 years of eyeglass and contact lense wear.

Andrus - I hope everything works out perfectly for you.

Suzie Azar used to tell me the technology in intraoccular lens surgery was making advancements and, from what I understand, didn't remove tissue from your eye like Lasik.

I want to go see an eye doc to see if I can get lasik on my eye with the astigmatism. I want to be able to enjoy some 3D TV.

Asa... Get it done.

i got it down in august of 2011. easy stuff. the best thing was waking up in the middle of the night and seeing the time on the clock. i was like whoa. thats what it feels like.

Exactly. When I wake up I have to fumble around to find my bifocals in order to see what time it is. I also have a pair of what I call goggles to use the PC. What I really won't miss most is backing up my truck anywhere while having no peripheral vision outside the lenses.

Who will do the surgery at Azar? Dr. Paul, or his daughter Suzie?

I've grew-up with Suzie, and Dr. Paul was a good friend of my father. My step-mother is the controller at the office.

Heh! I never bothered to ask. One of the "Kim's" there just told me it was Dr. Azar, so I assumed it was Paul. Is one preferential over the other? Don't be scaring me, John. :angryrazz:

I had it about a month ago. I had eye irritation for about 4 hours (slight burning/stinging sensation). I never even used the drops for pain. My vision got progressively better until I went to bed and then when I went for my check up the next morning my vision was close to 20/15. I see better than I did with glasses, and my depth perception is much better. It's almost surreal.

We get depth perception in the deal? That rocks! These days while driving, I creep up to objects like a snail on Valium.

Andrus, was PRK an option? I was slated in 05 for LASIK, doc talked to me about PRK and the benefits of not having that flap to worry about. Got the PRK and have been blessed with 20/10 vision since.

Good question. I did not ask about PRK because I have no knowledge of it. I have a consultation this coming Wednesday and I will inquire.

A little background... 16 months ago I went to see Dr. Azar on a Wednesday, had the consultation and was setup for the procedure on the following Tuesday. It's embarrassing to say, but at the last minute... I chickened out. I was too worried about lasers going haywire and being that one in one thousand, or whatever the statistic. So, I will get a refresher on the process, but I do remember being told that they would be creating a flap.

Damn, was hoping you were going to Mexico to get it done on the cheap.

LOL! I don't think so!! Teeth? Yes! But I am not messing around when it comes to my eyes, Brandon. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom