Getting ready to record (1 Viewer)

Sorry...I wasn't clear at all -- he said 250.00 per song...regardless of time. that includes mastering.

That would be ASCAP.

Nope, not the same thing.

You need copyrights, first and foremost. This is what protects your intellectual property. That is a completely different thing from ASCAP and BMI.

Copyrights are 30 buck per entry, but you can put your whole album in as one entry.

To the O.P:

Get the band together and get the arrangements nailed down before you ever set foot in the studio. If you are recording to a click, you need to practice to a click. You would be suprised how many people cannot play to one. You don't want to find that out on your first day of tracking.

Also, think about the recording process as far as who will play what parts, and where they go in the sonic spectrum. There is a lot more to making a record than just playing the songs. Think about what guitar parts will be in stereo. What will need to be doubled. What space will be left that needs to be filled, or do you want to leave a lot of space in the mix? Think about the final product when you write all of your parts. Arranging songs for the studio is a skill that is learned like any other and you get better at it each time.

All that being said, the recording studio is about the most fun place I could ever think of going. I've had the chance to record at a few very nice studios in the last few years(on someone else's dime), and it is a blast. It's such a confidence boost to go in and be under pressure and perform well. Enjoy the process and pick your friends brain. If he knows a lot, make sure you are using that knowledge to get the best possible product. Most important, be loose and HAVE FUN! The minute you get frustrated or angry you might as well stop for the day, and come back in a good mood.

Basically restating what folks have already said, there's a classic phrase 'Garbage in, garbage out'. Make sure you rehearse all the things you're going to be playing and have the arrangements locked down like a well oiled machine. Make sure you work out the equipment you're going to be using and dial in the tones beforehand. Also, pay attention to the frequencies involved and make sure the instruments don't step on one another. Example: If you've got a really hi-fidelity sounding bass with a lot of treble and a really murky guitar sound, you're going to be fighting that in post-production. Be mindful of clarity.

I've recorded numerous times on numerous budgets. The most expensive was before Katrina at Piety st studios. Not sure if its around any more but the band leader spent like 20 G's on the whole thing including mastering and packaging. Brotherhood of Groove was the band. I'm actually recording now here in Austin on a super small budget.

One thing I've come to learn is to let the engineer do his job before you start criticizing the product. For example, if a song is tracked and y'all are mixing , don't immediately start clamoring for more bass or vocals or something. Let him eq the tune first. Just last week we told the guy the vocals were too hot while he was in the process of E.Q.ing. so like he's inclined to do he lowered the vocals and continued to work on the eq. Even tho he barely lowered the volume on the vox they're now buried because of the frequency of the guitars changed. We have to go back again.

Listen to it on multiple sources to. Like car, boom box etc etc. And make sure to analyze it at quiet volumes too. Not just on ten! Probably the other best advice is to not have everyone talking to the engineer about what they want and hear at the same time. Take turns and have notes.

Everyone here gave great advice to you especially the have fun. So enjoy!

Nope, not the same thing.

You need copyrights, first and foremost. This is what protects your intellectual property. That is a completely different thing from ASCAP and BMI.

You are right. My gf worked for BMI for a good 20 yrs. I asked her and she stated the same as you.

I thought BMI and ASCAP was the copyright procedure.

Good catch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom