Getting that 2008 vibe (1 Viewer)

eizenbizen

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
These first two weeks have been frustrating. Offense played well one game and the defense let them down. Defense played well the next and the offense let them down. We have been in both these games and had a chance to win and been let down.

But this is a young team that will continue to grow. They don't know how to win the close ones yet as a team, and that's ok. As long as they are competitive then they always have a shot and we as fans will likely be frustrated a lot. So let me take you back to 2008:

We went 8-8. That's a solid prediction for this team. 6-10, 7-9, 8-8. BUT, 6 of those losses were by a combined 23 points.

As of right now we have lost 2 games by 4 points. Everyone knew this year would be tough and likely a rebuilding year. Hopefully the last one before we make a push for Brees final playing years.

All I'm saying is have some faith. 2008 was a tough year to watch. But 2009 turned out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This does seem very 2008.

-Screwed over by officiating? Check
-Copious amounts of injuries? Check
-Young players making young player mistakes? Check
-Super close losses at the end of games? Check

Exactly! Not saying we're winning the super bowl next year, but that team was growing and building towards the being something special.

Sorry for trying to find a silver lining.

Let's be honest. 2006 was incredible and a lot of emotion. But it took Payton three years to build a true contender. It then got old, and had a lot of issues that have been discussed here. So if the rebuild's first year was 2014, in theory we're right on schedule

Let's be honest. 2006 was incredible and a lot of emotion. But it took Payton three years to build a true contender. It then got old, and had a lot of issues that have been discussed here. So if the rebuild's first year was 2014, in theory we're right on schedule

Meh, I'm done with silver linings. When this season is over, we'll have the same amount of singe digits win seasons as we do double digit win seasons and trending in the wrong direction.

You're right. Better to only pay attention to the negatives than the positives.

In truth the rebuild started in 2015. We still thought we were a couple of players away in 2014 after Rob’s fluke awesome D in 13 and went for it. Then we realized just how rotten the edifice was and started the rebuild.

I'm okay with that. Really, the Bolognagate penalties were intended to force a full rebuild. The NFL prolly wanted us to and expected us to trade Drew to a large market team where they could properly monetize him. That’s no doubt what Finks would have done. But Payton didn't want to go that route and thought he could still make something out of it. That’s the kind of self-confidence that enabled him to take a dead franchise to a title in 3 years.

These first two weeks have been frustrating. Offense played well one game and the defense let them down. Defense played well the next and the offense let them down. We have been in both these games and had a chance to win and been let down.

But this is a young team that will continue to grow. They don't know how to win the close ones yet as a team, and that's ok. As long as they are competitive then they always have a shot and we as fans will likely be frustrated a lot. So let me take you back to 2008:

We went 8-8. That's a solid prediction for this team. 6-10, 7-9, 8-8. BUT, 6 of those losses were by a combined 23 points.

As of right now we have lost 2 games by 4 points. Everyone knew this year would be tough and likely a rebuilding year. Hopefully the last one before we make a push for Brees final playing years.

All I'm saying is have some faith. 2008 was a tough year to watch. But 2009 turned out ok.

I completely agree. I don't know what everyone is so upset about. Of course I'm bummed we loss. Things could look totally different if a couple of plays had gone differently. But isn't this what we expected?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom