Getting the top seed and bye is huge. BUT this team doesn’t need home field (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
More than ever, the 2020 Saints are built for the road. In fact, you could argue that the 2020 Saints are actually better off playing outdoors in the playoffs.

First, let’s be clear: getting the only bye is a bigger advantage than it’s ever been, simply because the 2-seed *won’t* get one.

This team has arguably the best DLine in football, very good LBs and DBs, a HOF QB, very good-great OLine, first half MVP in Kamara, 2019 OPOY in MT and other emerging weapons like Harris and Trautman.

But if there’s one place this Saints team doesn’t quite measure up to other contenders, it’s team speed. Make no mistake, the team is fast enough. But even Payton commented last year about how fast the 49ers were on the dome turf. We will probably see the same thing in a couple weeks with KC. And Green Bay’s best chance to beat us is by using team speed to stretch the field and to get open when plays break down.

Speed advantages grow on turf. They slow down outdoors and they really slow down in cold, snow, wind, etc. So, while the bye is still the best way to go, I feel like the path to the SB *without* the bye is more realistic for this team than ever.

All things considered it would be tougher for Drew outdoors in the cold. I like a heavy rush attack if that were to occur. I think a bye benefits us more than most.

The packers don't have good team speed either. Aaron jones isn't what I consider a burner rusher. Davante Adams as good as he has been was never a deep threat burner type. And most of their recievers has been late rounders who have posted average 40 times. I think you meant to say the falcons? Now thats a burner team with elite speed everywhere. We still have them on their knees though. ..

You realize Janoris Jenkins has been our most consistent CB and Robinson has been very good, right?

When we get scored against, especially in the playoffs, it’s always about watching Williams and Robinson chasing receivers into the end zone. Our historically terrible secondary is why Drew doesn’t have more rings and I’m sick of it. No matter how good the rest of the team is, our secondary can be counted on to get burned when it matters most. I think we’re doing so well now because our defense gets pressure on QBs, but come playoff time some of those loss passes are going to happen and the entire Who Dat Nation is going to mutter Oh No while the ball is in the air. I’m sorry but this has happened so many times I’m just dreading what the likes of Mahomes is going to do to us. I would love to be wrong about this. I do agree Jenkins is very good.

I believe whoever gets the bye gets to the Super Bowl.

It's doubly important this year.

I do agree it’s very important.

But, for example, I don’t think it matters if we play GB at Lambeau or in the dome. And I think we may be better off playing, say, Seattle on the road, given their team speed offensively.

I’m not downplaying the significance of the bye at all. But if it doesn’t happen, I do think this roster is built better than ever to make it to the Bowl without it.

I want the #1 seed just for the much needed bye and because it’s easier to only need two games to make it to the Super Bowl than three.

But If we are in any position going into W17 this season where we don’t control our fate, ala last year, Payton should just punt the game to Carolina (even if we have an outside shot at the 1 seed IMO) and use that as a bye. I just don’t want to have to go all out in W17 like we did last year while the team with the lower seeds (like the Vikings last year) get to use it as a bye week and basically they get rewarded with a bye over the team with the far superior record.

Also, even though I agree HFA doesn’t mean much this year, I imagine it’s better for Brees’ ribs to be indoors rather than in GB or SEA.

I do agree it’s very important.

But, for example, I don’t think it matters if we play GB at Lambeau or in the dome. And I think we may be better off playing, say, Seattle on the road, given their team speed offensively.

I’m not downplaying the significance of the bye at all. But if it doesn’t happen, I do think this roster is built better than ever to make it to the Bowl without it.
You're not thinking of the obvious.

Green Bay or Seattle or whoever it may be will have played twice as games as the Saints if they meet in the NFC CG. Banged up, no time off. Saints would be in much better shape physically and playing in the friendly confines. Huge advantage Saints.

More than ever, the 2020 Saints are built for the road. In fact, you could argue that the 2020 Saints are actually better off playing outdoors in the playoffs.

TB in the regular season was not bad, but GB and Seattle are. We need to stay away from there.

I say this all the time, but in the NFL playoffs, the team that is coming off a first round bye wins ~78% of the time. It's as close to a sure thing as there is in all of professional sports. Winning at home in the NFL is generally around ~53% even in all other rounds of the playoffs. Having a playoff bye is SUPER IMPORTANT statistically. Being the #1 seed is our mission this year. Even if we drop the game to KC, we need to do our best to finish 13-3.

TB in the regular season was not bad, but GB and Seattle are. We need to stay away from there.

What makes them bad, though?

Crowd noise? There won’t be fans.

Playing surface? That actually helps us, IMO.

Weather? Again, I think that helps us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom