GFCI Troubleshooting - Housewiring Question HELP NEEDED (1 Viewer)

dang so I would have to dig up the conduit to check the wiring. Thats about right for me....

well if you want to find out if there is water in the pipe carefully put a shop vac hose from the exhaust side of the vac on the conduit at the electrical panel and see if you blow water out the other side at the light pole. shut the power off on that circuit first. if you have a multi-meter you could shut off the circuit and check to see if you have continuity between the power wire and ground or common.

Update: Two guys (a young Brainiac and slow-poke Uncle Joe) showed up an hour later than the window...but that's on-time, right? Anyway, they thought they had an easy one; replace the GFCI and done. The old guy said, "Replace the GFI and that should do it." When I told them I already replaced the GFCI, the kid said...we're going to have to do some serious trouble-shooting now. I showed them the five outlets on the circuit. The "kid" checked them out and "Uncle Joe" thought it was one of the outlets while the kid kept poking around, looking for more outlets on the circuit but to no avail.
He said, "There's more to this...you're wiring is very strange and not to code...they must have paid off the inspectors. Give me a minute to think about it" and he went out on the front porch to smoke a cigarette. As he was in the front yard he noticed the outlet that the outdoor lighting is plugged into. He checked it out and there was no power to the outlet. He said, "I'm 99% confident your problem is an outdoor plug." I told him, there was a plug by the backdoor and another in the garage. He said, "I'd recommend you replace the two outside and I'll check the garage one for you." They were both corroded, rusty, and nasty. Prest, zappo, viola....fixed!

I have 8 outlets on that one GFCI and it's 20 amp leading into a 15 amp breaker. He recommended I reduce the number of outlets on that GFCI and add another GFCI. Also that I get a 15 amp GFCI to reduce the number of trips I have to make to the basement to reset the breaker.

$400 later...it's fixed.

even if you change the gfci to a 15a it well still trip your breaker a gfci doesnt sense current only moisture (or a fault in your neutral )

Last edited:
Prest, zappo, viola....fixed!

Violas are cool.

And...Voila! here's one:

viola.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom