Giant Movies That You Never Hear About Anymore (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
There's a class of movie out there that is a massive blockbuster and ties up media coverage and all, and then after a few years completely vanishes from the cultural lexicon.

I think the prime example of this is Twister. You couldn't avoid features on the special effects for this film. Anyone ever watch this one in the last 20 years? Anyone quote Twister?

The Mask (Jim Carry), Look Who's Talking, and Dick Tracy also come to mind.

What are some you remember?

Saving Private Ryan...

FWIW, never got all the hype around it. The opening was incredibly powerful though. I felt Band of Brothers was better overall by a significant margin.

I still hear about this one fairly regularly. They were just talking about it on the radio as being Oscar snubbed by Shakespeare in Love (now THAT one might qualify). But I think in terms of war epics, SPR still comes up regularly.

I still hear about this one fairly regularly. They were just talking about it on the radio as being Oscar snubbed by Shakespeare in Love (now THAT one might qualify). But I think in terms of war epics, SPR still comes up regularly.
I never hear about it, but I don't really converse in movie circles.

There's a class of movie out there that is a massive blockbuster and ties up media coverage and all, and then after a few years completely vanishes from the cultural lexicon.

I think the prime example of this is Twister. You couldn't avoid features on the special effects for this film. Anyone ever watch this one in the last 20 years? Anyone quote Twister?

The Mask (Jim Carry), Look Who's Talking, and Dick Tracy also come to mind.

What are some you remember?

Oh I dunno, I've seen replays of those movies on cable TV fairly regularly. Particularly Twister and The Mask.

The Avatar's "I see you." gets quoted quite a bit still. I've always been fascinated with the idea of "borrowing" another body like how it's done in Avatar. It's an interesting concept to me. It's not a great movie, but it has some interesting ideas.

The Avatar's "I see you." gets quoted quite a bit still. I've always been fascinated with the idea of "borrowing" another body like how it's done in Avatar. It's an interesting concept to me. It's not a great movie, but it has some interesting ideas.

If I could borrow a body, it would be a female college pole vaulter's

What's rare is an old blockbuster movie that you still hear about. Most big blockbuster movies are movies you never hear about very long after they're released. There's too many new blockbuster movies to care about old blockbuster movies.

Due to my profession, I hear Twister references daily.

I just watched Avatar for the first time a few weeks ago.

But Avatar was the first movie to come to mind. Was all the rage for about 6 months, top grossing movie ever and I never hear any real references to it.

Any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie really but I thoroughly remember Last Action Hero being advertised everywhere from Macdonald's to Walmart. The publicity was insane. It was THE summer blockbuster event. I don't remember the movie being hated or even a flop but the movie itself didn't have much lasting power.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom