Giant Movies That You Never Hear About Anymore (1 Viewer)

Any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie really but I thoroughly remember Last Action Hero being advertised everywhere from Macdonald's to Walmart. The publicity was insane. It was THE summer blockbuster event. I don't remember the movie being hated or even a flop but the movie itself didn't have much lasting power.

Last Action Hero was definitely a flop, you’re right the hype was insane then the movie landed with a thud

Not only was the movie not great if I remember right it was released right after Jurassic Park

Didn’t stand a chance even if the movie was good

Recently: Suicide Squad
Slightly older: Watchmen

Coincidentally, both are DC movies. Additionally, Watchmen deserved a freakin' sequel.

Due to my profession, I hear Twister references daily.

I just watched Avatar for the first time a few weeks ago.

But Avatar was the first movie to come to mind. Was all the rage for about 6 months, top grossing movie ever and I never hear any real references to it.

We joke about Unobtainium all the time at work.

And I've seen Twister in the last year or two. It's a good movie.

I think the problem with Avatar is that Cameron has been floating the sequel idea for years and never did it, so people got sick of waiting. Then Disney finally opens the Avatar land in Animal Kingdom

Jackie Brown
Donnie Brasco
Con Air

Con Air is wonderfully good/bad.

"What's wrong with that guy?"

"My first guess.. is a lot"

haha.

And c'mon, Dave Chappelle is in it.

Of course, Cage's accent and the way he says "bun aye" is sorta annoying.

Last edited:
The Adventures of Pluto Nash. Had no idea it was that expensive.

Soldier? I liked it, but probably not on rotation much.

Con Air is wonderfully good/bad.

"What's wrong with that guy?"

"My first guess.. is a lot"

haha.

And c'mon, Dave Chappelle is in it.

Of course, Cage's accent and the way he says "bun aye" is sorta annoying.

Right, what a cast with Cage, Malkovich, Cusack, Buscemi, Trejo, Rhames, Chappelle and others

Kingdom of Heaven was not exactly a blockbuster in the US but did very well overseas. Some attribute this to its sensitive treatment of Islam. In one scene, Salah Al-Din, after taking the city of Jerusalem, walks into a room, picks up a cross from the floor, and returns it to an upright position on a table,

While the movie takes some artistic license, it it fairly fact-based. Salah Al-Din is rightfully portrayed as a chivalrous (for the times) general.

To Balian "I will grant you and your people safe passage"

"When the Christians conquered Jerusalem, they butchered every man, woman, and child in the city"

"I am not those men. I am Salah-Al-Din. Salah Al-Din."

The special effects are very good, and the dynamics of the major players on both sides are fairly accurate. Reynaud du Chatillon was indeed a psychopath. A Nathan Bedford Forrest of his time.

What's rare is an old blockbuster movie that you still hear about. Most big blockbuster movies are movies you never hear about very long after they're released. There's too many new blockbuster movies to care about old blockbuster movies.
Movies are very much a product of their time that cater to the people that saw them during its release. Just to use me and my friends age range as an example since we were all born in the 90s, the Butron/Schumacher Batman and original Star Wars are the only films that everyone has seen that was made before the late 90s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom