Giant Movies That You Never Hear About Anymore (1 Viewer)

Here's some movies I had to wait in line to see, but you don't hear much about anymore, including the ones on heavy rotation through TV channels that play 5 minutes of ads for every 10 minutes,of movie.

Help! (My teenage sister was babysitting me)
Patton
Walking Tall (original version)
Billy Jack (all of them)
The Posiden Adventure
Titanic
Star Wars Episodes 1 thru 3 (currently
on heavy rotation Sci-Fi and USA networks)
American Sniper (currently on heavy rotation TNT)

Gladiator (after Avatar) is the one i think of. I enjoyed it but it was overhyped, won an Oscar i felt it didn't deserve, and other than an occasional TNT showing I almost never saw it aired after it's original HBO run.
This alone keeps it in discussion. But I haven't watched it in a while.

Agreed as to BoB, but you do know that the same people did both, right? Spielberg and Hanks were the driving forces behind BoB?
I don't engage too much into the directors and producers and just try to enjoy the film without prejudices. I didn't know that, but it's just my opinion on it. Others are free to feel differently.

My father-in-law, a WWII vet, came out the theater holding back tears.

You can't compare Band of Brothers with Saving Private Ryan. Saving Private Ryan had 2 hrs to tell you a fictitious story and develop the characters characters within that story. Band of Brothers not only had 12 or so hours to tell you a story and develop the characters within that story, it was a true story, starting and ending each episode with gripping monologues by the real life people who lived it.
Fair assessment.

It took A LOT of artistic license. King Baldwin did not live in peace with Saladin. As soon as the regency over him was over, he refused to ratify the treaty that his regent had agreed to and began attacking. Saladin did agree to give safe passage at Jerusalem, but it was only after Balian said he would destroy the Muslim sacred sites. That is touched up in the movie, but it wasn't an act of kindness by Saladin as the movie suggests. He wasn't going to give safe passage until Balian made the threat. In addition, the people had to pay a ransom in order to leave (they had 50 days to do it). Those that couldn't pay the ransom were forced into slavery.
Those forced into slavery were later released. Depends on which account you read, I suppose, as to which side was more vicious. In The Dream and The Tomb, Robert Payne paints an account of enough savagery from both sides to go around, but that indeed Christian invasion of the Holy Lands cause rightful indignation among the Muslim population there.

King Baldwin defeated Salah Al-Din at the battle of Montisgard in 1177, a defeat which was followed by 10 years of relative peace until Raynaud du Chatillon's continued provocation of Salah Al-Din by attacking Muslim caravans led to the disastrous battle at the Horns of Hattin in 1187; a defeat from which the crusaders never fully recovered.

The Dream and the Tomb is a good book for those interested in a basic account of the Crusades and the characters within

Those forced into slavery were later released. Depends on which account you read, I suppose, as to which side was more vicious. In The Dream and The Tomb, Robert Payne paints an account of enough savagery from both sides to go around, but that indeed Christian invasion of the Holy Lands cause rightful indignation among the Muslim population there.

King Baldwin defeated Salah Al-Din at the battle of Montisgard in 1177, a defeat which was followed by 10 years of relative peace until Raynaud du Chatillon's continued provocation of Salah Al-Din by attacking Muslim caravans led to the disastrous battle at the Horns of Hattin in 1187; a defeat from which the crusaders never fully recovered.

The Dream and the Tomb is a good book for those interested in a basic account of the Crusades and the characters within

I am not saying one side or the other was worse. Both had their issues. I am just saying the movie portrayed Baldwin too "good." The first chance he got, he attacked. There may have been a period of uneasy peace, but I would attribute that to more of both sides beating up each other bad enough that there was a re-group. Two years after Montisgard, Baldwin was defeated and almost captured at the Battle of Marj Ayyun. I think this had more to do with the relative peace after that than Baldwin's goodwill.

As for Balian and Saladin, Saladin wasn't offering terms. Balian said, "Okay, I will destroy your holy sites--how about that." Saladin didn't want that on his head, so he gave terms. And as for the slavery, even if they were eventually released (which I am not convinced of), slavery for any period of time is terrible. Plus, you had to pay a ransom in order to avoid the slavery. The basic events were correct, however, the movie clearly wanted protagonists and antagonists, and skewed the characters to fit those roles. Baldwin wasn't really looking to live in peace with the Muslims, and Saladin wasn't as magnanimous in victory as portrayed either.

Better Off Dead

I am not saying one side or the other was worse. Both had their issues. I am just saying the movie portrayed Baldwin too "good." The first chance he got, he attacked. There may have been a period of uneasy peace, but I would attribute that to more of both sides beating up each other bad enough that there was a re-group. Two years after Montisgard, Baldwin was defeated and almost captured at the Battle of Marj Ayyun. I think this had more to do with the relative peace after that than Baldwin's goodwill.

As for Balian and Saladin, Saladin wasn't offering terms. Balian said, "Okay, I will destroy your holy sites--how about that." Saladin didn't want that on his head, so he gave terms. And as for the slavery, even if they were eventually released (which I am not convinced of), slavery for any period of time is terrible. Plus, you had to pay a ransom in order to avoid the slavery. The basic events were correct, however, the movie clearly wanted protagonists and antagonists, and skewed the characters to fit those roles. Baldwin wasn't really looking to live in peace with the Muslims, and Saladin wasn't as magnanimous in victory as portrayed either.
What you’re saying is true, and reflective of the times. The Middle Ages were hard times unless you were a noble. Salah Al-Din was known to be just slightly more chivalrous than most at a time when chivalry tended to be a low bar indeed. Kings could be gracious to kings, and lesser nobles to lesser nobles, but there was almost no chivalry to the common foot soldier.

Here's some movies I had to wait in line to see, but you don't hear much about anymore, including the ones on heavy rotation through TV channels that play 5 minutes of ads for every 10 minutes,of movie.

Help! (My teenage sister was babysitting me)
Patton
Walking Tall (original version)
Billy Jack (all of them)
The Posiden Adventure
Titanic
Star Wars Episodes 1 thru 3 (currently
on heavy rotation Sci-Fi and USA networks)
American Sniper (currently on heavy rotation TNT)
We’re about the same age. I saw Walking Tall in the theater and thought Buford Pusser was the baddest mother on the planet.

Billy Jack - I remember watching Tom Laughlin and wondering why the heck he was taking off his boots. :hihi:

That was a great movie I haven't seen in a while.

I think Caligula is a good expample of a huge movie that's sort of overlooked and forgotten. Still shocking to see.

Don't say that! You have the occasional humorous post and I would miss you.
Hang in there Champ.

I assure you that you have nothing to worry about unless you see me start threatening you with eternal damnation and claim its for your own good.
Or should I say finish threatening you since this is the last time. And I mean it this time. Until the next time. The next final time. Or the final time after that. Soon, at any rate.

Any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie really but I thoroughly remember Last Action Hero being advertised everywhere from Macdonald's to Walmart. The publicity was insane. It was THE summer blockbuster event. I don't remember the movie being hated or even a flop but the movie itself didn't have much lasting power.

I saw it with several friend and was the only one that liked it. It was considered a flop by most people. It would actually be a good candidate for zeetes thread about bad movies that you like.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom