Giant, toxic snails invading more parishes (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

DENHAM SPRINGS - Big, slimy, and toxic—the apple snail is likely taking over a lake near you.

"They probably floated around with flood waters. Hurricane Isaac moved them, the 2016 floods moved them, and I have a feeling this current flood will expand them into some areas that might not have them," said Rob Bourgeois, Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Aquatic Invasive Species Coordinator.

Originally introduced as a pet for aquariums in 2006, the snail can now be found in 28 parishes across the state. Being in Louisiana you might look at these and see a delicacy ready to be cooked in butter, but Bourgeois says not so fast.

I have never seen one or the eggs, but I am seldom in their habitat. Has anybody run into them? Below is a map to the parishes they have spread to.

Last edited:
I get them all the time during the summer here in Lafourche.

I’m pretty sure “Rob Bourgeois, Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Aquatic Invasive Species Coordinator” used to post here as Rob Beaux.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
I’m pretty sure “Rob Bourgeois, Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Aquatic Invasive Species Coordinator” used to post here as Rob Beaux.

I believe you are correct. He has not visited the site in two years though.

You have to pay extra for that in some places

fark_sAVVRvGChLr-O4b9a2IYeEh22C4.jpg
1429504935607.jpg

Widespread here in the river parishes. They even ended up in the ditch behind my house and it's quite a ways to the canal that the ditch drains to.

If my memory serves me right, they have lungs and gills where they can survive in or out of water. Eggs have to be outside of the water for them to hatch. Very invasive. Eats vegetation like a truck driver. Unfortunately, they are here to stay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom