Giants' 07 draft picks vs Saints' 07 draft picks (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Giants:

<TABLE _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR _extended="true"><TH class=rdTD _extended="true">Rd</TH><TH class=selTD _extended="true">Sel #</TH><TH class=playerTD _extended="true">Player</TH><TH class=positionTD _extended="true">Position</TH><TH _extended="true">School</TH></TR><TR _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">1</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">20</TD><TD _extended="true">Aaron Ross</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">CB</TD><TD _extended="true">Texas</TD></TR><TR class=rowAlt _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">2</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">51</TD><TD _extended="true">Steve Smith</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">WR</TD><TD _extended="true">USC</TD></TR><TR _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">3</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">81</TD><TD _extended="true">Jay Alford</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">NT</TD><TD _extended="true">Penn State</TD></TR><TR class=rowAlt _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">4</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">116</TD><TD _extended="true">Zak DeOssie</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">LB</TD><TD _extended="true">Brown</TD></TR><TR _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">5</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">153</TD><TD _extended="true">Kevin Boss</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">TE</TD><TD _extended="true">Western Oregon</TD></TR><TR class=rowAlt _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">6</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">189</TD><TD _extended="true">Adam Koets</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">T</TD><TD _extended="true">Oregon State</TD></TR><TR _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">7</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">224</TD><TD _extended="true">Michael Johnson</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">SAF</TD><TD _extended="true">Arizona</TD></TR><TR class=rowAlt _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">7</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">250</TD><TD _extended="true">Ahmad Bradshaw</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">RB</TD><TD _extended="true">Marshall
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Saints:

<TABLE _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR _extended="true"><TH class=rdTD _extended="true">Rd</TH><TH class=selTD _extended="true">Sel #</TH><TH class=playerTD _extended="true">Player</TH><TH class=positionTD _extended="true">Position</TH><TH _extended="true">School</TH></TR><TR _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">1</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">27</TD><TD _extended="true">Robert Meachem</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">WR</TD><TD _extended="true">Tennessee</TD></TR><TR class=rowAlt _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">3</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">66</TD><TD _extended="true">Usama Young</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">CB</TD><TD _extended="true">Kent State</TD></TR><TR _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">3</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">88</TD><TD _extended="true">Andy Alleman</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">G</TD><TD _extended="true">Akron</TD></TR><TR class=rowAlt _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">4</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">107</TD><TD _extended="true">Antonio Pittman</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">RB</TD><TD _extended="true">Ohio State</TD></TR><TR _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">4</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">125</TD><TD _extended="true">Jermon Bushrod</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">T</TD><TD _extended="true">Towson</TD></TR><TR class=rowAlt _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">5</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">145</TD><TD _extended="true">David Jones</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">CB</TD><TD _extended="true">Wingate</TD></TR><TR _extended="true"><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">7</TD><TD class=centeralign _extended="true">220</TD><TD _extended="true">Marvin Mitchell</TD><TD class=positionTD _extended="true">LB</TD><TD _extended="true">Tennessee</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Picking high we need the 2008 class to be high impact like the Giants. We could do with a Justin Tuck in the worst way (he was drafted iwith the 10th pick of the 3rd round in 2005). I think with the Charles Grant incident and Giants blueprint we could end up taking 3 defensive lineman in the 7 rounds

Plus. They did it as a wild card team.

I too was struck by the constant reference to "rookie" during yesterday's game as one young Giant after another made a big play. And I was struck by New England totally revamping its wide receiver corps in the 2007 offseason--if New England had not added those receivers, the Pats would not been playing yesterday and would have had several losses in 2008.

The Giants' 2007 draft was extraordinarily productive, as was our 2006 draft. But those drafts show two things:

1. A rookie contingent can move a team forward.

2. The total lack of production from a draft class can push a team backwards.

We don't need to hit a home run every year--especially if you are drafting low in every round. But you need to at least put people on base every draft. Last year's draft was simply unacceptable.

They had that draft and only picked up one higher than mid range free agent, Kawika Mitchell.
I said this in another thread, but we don't have to use up every last penny of our cap to sign Asante Samuel so he can drop the game winning pick in the superbowl.

Also, what you can add in, is that all of those Giants draft picks who made the team contributed, and that was a lot.
One Patriot's draft pick made the team, first rounder Brandon Merriweather, and he was the backup at safety.

The Patriots had ZERO impact from their rookie class and they were quite good this year...

Zero is incorrect. They got some mileage out of Brandon Merriweather who played in all 16 regular season games and the superbowl. The guy made 27 tackles and defended three passes.

We drafted a first-rounder who never saw the field for a single down, we got no contribution whatsoever from Alleman, Pittman, Bushrod, and Jones. Mitchell and Young played on special teams occasionally if I remember right and Young played a few downs at nickleback after failing to beat out the worst starting corner in the leagues (or his backup).

It saddens me to say it - but THAT is zero contribution. Merriweather looks rookie of the year by comparison.

That wouldn't be so bad if the FO had learned lessons from the debacle of 2007, but no, apparently they're taking the same BPA strategy they did last year.

Zero is incorrect. They got some mileage out of Brandon Merriweather who played in all 16 regular season games and the superbowl. The guy made 27 tackles and defended three passes.

We drafted a first-rounder who never saw the field for a single down, we got no contribution whatsoever from Alleman, Pittman, Bushrod, and Jones. Mitchell and Young played on special teams occasionally if I remember right and Young played a few downs at nickleback after failing to beat out the worst starting corner in the leagues (or his backup).

It saddens me to say it - but THAT is zero contribution. Merriweather looks rookie of the year by comparison.

That wouldn't be so bad if the FO had learned lessons from the debacle of 2007, but no, apparently they're taking the same BPA strategy they did last year.

No, that would pretty much be zero as the other person pointed out. How about Pierre Thomas? I'd say he did far more than Merriweather, and that's saying something. The point is, you can't judge everything after 1 season and you can't judge a draft when at the beginning of the season there were so few spots open for competition.

I think that's a harsh analysis on Young, I think Coach Payton would rather rely on the guys that got him there last year which is why not one free agent or draft pick got a chance to start or compete (except David) I think one of the biggest problems were Payton not using all 52 players, we don't know if they were good enough or if they weren't, but what we can say is the guys that were playing were horrible so in essence I guess it would make one think that the draft picks and Free Agents must be worse cause they were never replaced by them...when me personally, I think Payton thought he had the players needed (because they made it to the NFL Championship Game in 06...but he was wrong and he realized it toward the end of the year, now he wants to get younger, so to me it says a lot of players will get a chance next year, cause some of those guys who he depended on ast year won't be here next year (Simoneau)

Your basing this on what?
Also, it's wonderful if your rookies contribute their first year. But, it's more important that they see the field this year(their 2nd year).
Our biggest problem this year wasn't the rookies, it was the lack of impact FA's.

I think that the Saints will eventually see some contributions from four of their 2007 draft picks. That isn't horrible but it would have been nice to see more from them in 2007.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom