Giants' 07 draft picks vs Saints' 07 draft picks (1 Viewer)

Your basing this on what?
Also, it's wonderful if your rookies contribute their first year. But, it's more important that they see the field this year(their 2nd year).
Our biggest problem this year wasn't the rookies, it was the lack of impact FA's.

Can't remember the exact posts, but there were a number of posters who reported that the GM had said we would use FA for impact defenders, BPA for the draft. Hope it's wrong because I'd like to see us go need for both tbh.

As for the biggest problem - let's be honest here - it was both. A selection of good rookies who were ready to play would have been a great help on defense this year.

No, that would pretty much be zero as the other person pointed out. How about Pierre Thomas? I'd say he did far more than Merriweather, and that's saying something. The point is, you can't judge everything after 1 season and you can't judge a draft when at the beginning of the season there were so few spots open for competition.

Pierre wasn't drafted. I was talking about the draft. I love Pierre

Pierre wasn't drafted. I was talking about the draft. I love Pierre

It doesn't matter. I was aware of what you are talking about, but it is silly just to include players who were drafted. Scouting is more than just the draft. 28% of all NFL players were undrafted free agents. That's a substantial amount, and thus their impact to any debate must be included. You have to evaluate it as a rookie class, not a draft class. That's like saying, oh thanks Sammy Knight, but you weren't drafted so your amazing impact this season doesn't really matter.

Now, you can certainly make the argument that they should have drafted better AND signed Pierre Thomas. But to not include undrafted free agents and just focus on the drafted players does not give a complete evaluation.

It doesn't matter. I was aware of what you are talking about, but it is silly just to include players who were drafted. Scouting is more than just the draft. 28% of all NFL players were undrafted free agents. That's a substantial amount, and thus their impact to any debate must be included. You have to evaluate it as a rookie class, not a draft class. That's like saying, oh thanks Sammy Knight, but you weren't drafted so your amazing impact this season doesn't really matter.

Now, you can certainly make the argument that they should have drafted better AND signed Pierre Thomas. But to not include undrafted free agents and just focus on the drafted players does not give a complete evaluation.

Point taken, but let's be honest here Waymer, if the scouts thought Pierre was that good, they wouldn't have let him slip through the draft - so I don't think we can claim too much credit for that one. ;)

Point taken, but let's be honest here Waymer, if the scouts thought Pierre was that good, they wouldn't have let him slip through the draft - so I don't think we can claim too much credit for that one. ;)

Yes, you're right. But that's how it is with anyone in the 2nd day of the draft. If scouts thought Colston was that good he wouldn't have lasted until the 7th. Same with Jahri Evans in the 4th. It's not necessarily that they didn't believe he was good, it's that realistically they believed there were simply better players above him. I mean, they had to do some convincing to get him to sign I would imagine, considering Deuce, Reggie, and Pittman were all above him and promising athletes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom