Giants LB Antonio Pierce on stopping Brees - 10/17/09 (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Stopping Saints QB Giant task for Pierce
By DAN MARTIN
October 17, 2009

The sight has become a somewhat familiar one when the Giants are on defense: With the opposing quarterback at the line of scrimmage, Antonio Pierce alerts his defensive teammates and they change their scheme.

But with the team facing one of the top offenses in the league in New Orleans tomorrow -- and one of its finest quarterbacks in Drew Brees -- Pierce said he isn't sure how much he will be altering calls this week.

"He's tough," Pierce said of Brees. "Sometimes, you just play football, and you don't make audibles. You just line up and play and trust what the defensive coordinator gives you."

Brees is a major part of that. Pierce said he has studied the quarterback but hasn't yet cracked his tendencies.

"I try to get a feel for what the quarterback sees," Pierce said. "When I watch Brees, he doesn't really give any hints. When I get into the game, I'll have to get a feel for it. A lot of times I go in knowing the mannerisms and certain patterns the quarterback goes by, and I haven't seen any from him." ...
More...
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/stopping_saints_qb_giant_task_for_JjEKlrai69yaTrS4oavHDI

Pierce is stiff in the hips. We can expose him in pass coverage. I never understood the hype of him, he seems average to me.

Pierce is stiff in the hips. We can expose him in pass coverage. I never understood the hype of him, he seems average to me.

What he may lack in raw athleticism he more than makes up for it with his football IQ and his instincts. For an MLB, that's probably the most important thing. At that position, youre in the middle of every play, You have to be able to recognize and react.

He will struggle against the pass sometimes but make no mistake....................the guy makes plays.

He will struggle against the pass sometimes but make no mistake....................the guy makes plays.

He'll HAVE to because Drew "Cool" Brees will be hitting slant routes with Jeremy , Lance and Reggie a LOT and it's gonna RAIN DOWN on Mr. Hi IQ MLBer Gnat!

You guys are showing far too much love for the abilities of this N.Y. team right now.

Look down our depth chart and tell me the mismatches which actually have you fearful. Our Offense runs like some kind of flawless ballet of men who enjoy playing football in our system................... I just don't see it and this team of graceful ballet stars can smash you in the mouth as well as dance around you!

GEAUX SAINTS GEAUX!!!!!!!!!!! (maybe it's 'cause I'm a homer but I've watched this team a very long time and have never felt like this before either watching them or on paper. We had a strong team in '06 but this is like version "'06.99" and headed to Miami for the SUPERBOWL barring any significant injuries, but hey, that's just me!)

i love matching reggie on pierce...westbrook has victimized pierce many times when they played man...expect reggie to have his beakout game this week

He'll HAVE to because Drew "Cool" Brees will be hitting slant routes with Jeremy , Lance and Reggie a LOT and it's gonna RAIN DOWN on Mr. Hi IQ MLBer Gnat!

You guys are showing far too much love for the abilities of this N.Y. team right now.

Look down our depth chart and tell me the mismatches which actually have you fearful. Our Offense runs like some kind of flawless ballet of men who enjoy playing football in our system................... I just don't see it and this team of graceful ballet stars can smash you in the mouth as well as dance around you!

GEAUX SAINTS GEAUX!!!!!!!!!!! (maybe it's 'cause I'm a homer but I've watched this team a very long time and have never felt like this before either watching them or on paper. We had a strong team in '06 but this is like version "'06.99" and headed to Miami for the SUPERBOWL barring any significant injuries, but hey, that's just me!)

I think their edge rushers will give our tackles problems. Drew has also had alot of passes batted down by long athletic guys like osi and justin tuck. Also they have a corner on the outside who could give Colston trouble.

Their defense is legit. I think our offense is so talented and I doubt they stop us, but we're going to have to execute to beat this team.

I think their edge rushers will give our tackles problems. Drew has also had alot of passes batted down by long athletic guys like osi and justin tuck. Also they have a corner on the outside who could give Colston trouble.

Their defense is legit. I think our offense is so talented and I doubt they stop us, but we're going to have to execute to beat this team.

we will have to run the ball and not have turnovers to beat this team, something we have done quite well so far this season

we will have to run the ball and not have turnovers to beat this team, something we have done quite well so far this season

Yep, I agree. I think the short passing game will be key also. We have to do everything we can to keep the giants from teeing off on brees.

While that's true, he's still a gamer. Brees can expose him, but he's definitely going to make plays in some other facet of the game. Hopefully, J-Shock can get into his area and make blocks during the running game.

Also, in addition to his stiff hips, he's only 6'1 -- or listed at 6'1, which makes him like 5'11 in most cases -- so if we can get a tight end behind him, all that needs to be done is throw it above his reach.

Did you just relate our offense to a ballet? :jpshakehead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom