Saints Gil Brandt's 2019 NFL Rookie Risers (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
2) Erik McCoy, C, New Orleans Saints

Draft position: Round 2, No. 48 overall, out of Texas A&M.

After Max Unger's retirement, the Saints were in need of a center, so they signed Nick Easton away from Minnesota -- but that was before they had the opportunity to nab McCoy. New Orleans entered the draft scheduled to pick 62nd at the earliest, thanks to last year's trade up for Marcus Davenport, so Sean Payton and Co. must have been delighted to still land McCoy, who I thought should have gone in the first round, even if they did have to move up a bit in Round 2 to get him. McCoy started the preseason opener against Minnesota, entrenching himself in the position. McCoy is going to play in this league for a long time and win a lot of honors. Easton, meanwhile, can be shifted into the valuable role of swing backup.

Rookie Risers

I'd say we are fortunate to have him. Makes losing Unger hurt a little less. He was solid in the preseason opener, but man, if he keeps improving, he could one day be elite.

He has an elite skill set at the Center Position.

Dont be surprised if he plays at a pro bowl level this year.

He is both mentally and physically strong.

Imagine how much better he will be with 9 in the huddle and at the line

I didn't get to watch the game as my wife doesn't understand why anyone would watch the preseason games and with 4 kids under 3 years old, I don't have a lot of free time anyway. I have read the reports that McCoy looks fantastic and could end up being a steal. I hope they are right as Drew needs protection up the middle to be his normal elite self.

That said, I wanted Bradbury on draft day but I will gladly be wrong about that one.

From the very instant that the franchise transitioned on into the Payton Era, we've an impeccable history of drafting and developing OLs into All Pros. In my opinion, Erik McCoy is the next dude to carry on that lineage. When a cliche 100% applies, then it's totally worth repeating..."That dude checks all the boxes!" McCoy's resume and the murders row of DL talent that he's battled and put in check over his collegiate career says it all. Now he's on a team where OLs consistently achieve greatness. It's a perfect match.

I didn't get to watch the game as my wife doesn't understand why anyone would watch the preseason games and with 4 kids under 3 years old, I don't have a lot of free time anyway. I have read the reports that McCoy looks fantastic and could end up being a steal. I hope they are right as Drew needs protection up the middle to be his normal elite self.

That said, I wanted Bradbury on draft day but I will gladly be wrong about that one.

You, Sir, are my hero.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom