Gillette's New "Toxic Masculinity" Ad (1 Viewer)

Why would it be a blanket ‘positive thing’ as opposed to a more neutral thing
It would seem more apt if we had “toxic” and”positive” as polar descriptions of masculinity

Without doing a hard count I would guess we’re somewhere between 5th-10th most supportive
Also are you suggesting that masculine men in America gave power to women, and that American masculine men are different/more into power sharing than other nationality masculine men?
Or did American women just take the power?

Why wouldn’t it he a blanket positive thing? It just is. There is no negative conotation to the word masculine. The act of masculinity is positive. Attaching “toxic” is just an attempt to malign.

I don’t know if masculine men gave power to
Women. Not the point anyway. I’m pointing out that we live in a great country for females. Incredible opportunity to be heard and achieve or not...

Plot twist: yesterday, in a business setting, a female colleague (10 years my junior and a literal former beauty queen), who I had good conversation with around a year ago, but haven’t seen since, saw me yesterday and went in for a hug.

I was totally not expecting it, and we ended up doing the awkward dance-no-hug-handshake thing.

Cue discussion on my Low-T problem.

Why wouldn’t it he a blanket positive thing? It just is. There is no negative conotation to the word masculine. The act of masculinity is positive. Attaching “toxic” is just an attempt to malign.

so if people are just wanting to attack "masculinity" why not just say "masculinity"? Why add the modifier? "Toxic masculinity" and "masculinity is toxic" aren't interchangeable things. The modifier is there for a reason. We can discuss/disagree on the validity of that toxicity, but to suggest that people are saying "all masculinity is toxic" doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Calories is neutral.
Bad Calories.
Calories are bad.
The last two statements aren't the same. We distinguish between calories which are not healthy but we don't claim that all calories are bad. This seems to be pretty basic language logic, so I'm failing to see the insistent interchangeability that some people see here.

Plot twist: yesterday, in a business setting, a female colleague (10 years my junior and a literal former beauty queen), who I had good conversation with around a year ago, but haven’t seen since, saw me yesterday and went in for a hug.

I was totally not expecting it, and we ended up doing the awkward dance-no-hug-handshake thing.

Cue discussion on my Low-T problem.

all ways go for the Hug...

I still fail to see how this ad is attacking masculinity. I see bullying others, sexually harassing others, making women feel uncomfortable and fighting being attacked. So.... what is the bad part of this? Bullying and picking on others isn’t masculinity. How is sexually harassing a female masculine? Fighting people weaker than you, especially when it was a group of kids doing it?

I guess my idea of a man is way different than some of you. I thought it was a whatever sort of ad. I didn’t care for it. But the subject wasn’t wrong. Now the conversation has gone to not holding doors open for people, not talking to people. I mean good lord. It’s a pretty simple line here isn’t it?

I doubt if I was in your establishment and I went for a hug it would be so accepting....

In his story, she goes for the hug.

Weather My place or Not... When a girl offers a hug it's no big deal...Freaking men do the handshake hug all the time... In my place... It's when they jump in your lap nakked that it's a problem.

Weather My place or Not... When a girl offers a hug it's no big deal...Freaking men do the handshake hug all the time... In my place... It's when they jump in your lap nakked that it's a problem.
It’s not that I wouldn’t have hugged her. She’s nice, we’re acquaintances, and we had good conversation after the non-hug for about 20 minutes or so.

I just would not have thought that, based on our limited prior interaction, that she would have wanted a hug. I just wasn’t expecting that level of familiarity yet. Next time I see her, I’ll know that it’s ok. Also, her husband was ten feet away, so everyone understood that the interaction was completely platonic.

I think hugs should definitely always be on her terms, and not on the man’s. Better to have an awkward failed hug from her once than to be skeeving for hugs from pretty girls 10 years younger, IMO.

Been meaning to ask -- do you ever run any Groupon promos or the like?

Just giving you shirt Joe.

I agree... cept sometimes you get the hug because you are in the Friend zone...

:beerchug:

We need to have a totally new thread for that discussion.. It's pretty funny...

Better yet, if you ever want to hire me as a secret customer or to be part of a focus group I think you will find my prices to be very competitive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom