Girl Starts Caucasian Club (1 Viewer)

Be serious. You think you need a special club or month to learn about white or European history? American classes teach world history with a huge focus on Euro history to the neglect of other parts of the world (Asian history is at least as incredible as European history and the Asian beat the Europeans to almost every cultural or scientific breakthrough - and why do we focus more on the amazing Roman and Greek civilizations than we do on that of the equally impressive Ancient Egypt? And why do we know more about the European conquistadors than the amazing Mayan civilization their guns killed right here in the Americas?). The answer is that America is a county that is primarily of White European decent and our history books and our culture have been established accordingly. This is not a surprise or a groundbreaking statement. There is no European-American history month because every mont his European-American history month. There are no "white girl job fairs" because the general white American community does not have centuries of oppression to overcome (and don't say it is irrelevant), and because many of you reading this would never call yourselves racist but know darn well if you will be honest with yourselves that your automatic brain reflex towards a black person and a white person are different and you subconsciously (hopefully it is subconscious) give other white people more intellectual credit than you do black people. Even in the NFL where most of the players are black - why do you think a guy like Sean Payton (who seems to be a freakin' genius, thank heavens we got him) gets a job so much quicker/easier than a guy like Marvin Lewis who is by any standards a defensive genius. Sean Payton even turned down the Oakland job a few years ago. Eric Mangini is in his thirties and who the hell ever heard of Rod Marinelli before? Why do yo think it took Denny Green so long to get a second chance when guys like Dennis Ericson routinely get second chances?

I understand your points and frustrations - but be real about the world we live in. I'm not saying that every white person is racist and blacks folks cannot succeed in America. I am saying that this country is geared in such a way that percentage-wise black Americans are not playing on an even playing field with the white majority. Be real, be honest, be compassionate, think about the motives of those who think that somehow minorities have an advantage in this country (which is ridiculous). And be honest with this question: do you think a girl that starts a caucasian club in school was raised by racist parents? I bet if there are 10 girls in the country trying to do it, the answer is yes for at least 9 of them. ANd I bet, despite your rants, you would agree with that.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

If we want to get past this silly thing called "race", then we all have to get past it; black, white, red, brown and yellow.

Seems to me that race based clubs just cause more division and try to foster a victim status for its members. I agree with Taurus.

Be serious. You think you need a special club or month to learn about white or European history? American classes teach world history with a huge focus on Euro history to the neglect of other parts of the world (Asian history is at least as incredible as European history and the Asian beat the Europeans to almost every cultural or scientific breakthrough - and why do we focus more on the amazing Roman and Greek civilizations than we do on that of the equally impressive Ancient Egypt? And why do we know more about the European conquistadors than the amazing Mayan civilization their guns killed right here in the Americas?). The answer is that America is a county that is primarily of White European decent and our history books and our culture have been established accordingly. This is not a surprise or a groundbreaking statement. There is no European-American history month because every mont his European-American history month. There are no "white girl job fairs" because the general white American community does not have centuries of oppression to overcome (and don't say it is irrelevant), and because many of you reading this would never call yourselves racist but know darn well if you will be honest with yourselves that your automatic brain reflex towards a black person and a white person are different and you subconsciously (hopefully it is subconscious) give other white people more intellectual credit than you do black people. Even in the NFL where most of the players are black - why do you think a guy like Sean Payton (who seems to be a freakin' genius, thank heavens we got him) gets a job so much quicker/easier than a guy like Marvin Lewis who is by any standards a defensive genius. Sean Payton even turned down the Oakland job a few years ago. Eric Mangini is in his thirties and who the hell ever heard of Rod Marinelli before? Why do yo think it took Denny Green so long to get a second chance when guys like Dennis Ericson routinely get second chances?

I understand your points and frustrations - but be real about the world we live in. I'm not saying that every white person is racist and blacks folks cannot succeed in America. I am saying that this country is geared in such a way that percentage-wise black Americans are not playing on an even playing field with the white majority. Be real, be honest, be compassionate, think about the motives of those who think that somehow minorities have an advantage in this country (which is ridiculous). And be honest with this question: do you think a girl that starts a caucasian club in school was raised by racist parents? I bet if there are 10 girls in the country trying to do it, the answer is yes for at least 9 of them. ANd I bet, despite your rants, you would agree with that.

Yeah, perfectly ok to have the "insert minority name here club" but no white clubs.
I get it, makes perfect sense to me.

Yeah, perfectly ok to have the "insert minority name here club" but no white clubs.
I get it, makes perfect sense to me.

Minority groups have a positive tradition of fostering a sense of pride and unity going back not very long ago at all to a time when minorities weren't allowed to be part of anything white. White only groups don't have that same positive tradition and in fact their tradition is decidedly negative.

Frankly I don't care if someone wants to have a white only group. However, I question why a group that is a vast majority in a country where everything is pretty much geared toward them needs a group to foster a sense of pride. More power to those that need it though.

Good post but:

Even in the NFL where most of the players are black - why do you think a guy like Sean Payton (who seems to be a freakin' genius, thank heavens we got him) gets a job so much quicker/easier than a guy like Marvin Lewis who is by any standards a defensive genius.

Drew Brees /= Aaron Brooks (with the caveat that Steve McNair is my favorite non-Saints quarterback and has been for years).

TPS

does that mean anyone who watches BET is racisit?

the real test of this is what happens when someone is not allowed to join a club because his\her race doesnt match the title of the club.

- having a club that discusses issues of a certain race is ok (or whatever these clubs do during meetings) not allowing a person of another race to join due to their race is a different story. until some one is excluded due to race, it isnt racist

>>Frankly I don't care if someone wants to have a white only group. However, I question why a group that is a vast majority in a country where everything is pretty much geared toward them needs a group to foster a sense of pride. More power to those that need it though.

I agree with the rest of your post, but a lot of white people feel (often incorrectly) like there are special rights associated with being a minority and that we tend to be inclusive where many of them are not (and that's born out in things like Miss Black America and what have you). Bottom line is that they might as well start these clubs now, because white people are soon to be a plurality in America. We're somewhere in the upper 60's% now with Latinos around 13%, blacks at 11.5-12% and Asians about 6-7% (last I looked if my memory is correct). :hihi:

TPS

You have a month. It's called January-December. I was taught about the accomplishments of white people every month in school weren't you?

I don't understand why black people think black history month is a good idea. Why don't they teach black history along with all the other history and just call it history?

does that mean anyone who watches BET is racisit?

the real test of this is what happens when someone is not allowed to join a club because his\her race doesnt match the title of the club.

- having a club that discusses issues of a certain race is ok (or whatever these clubs do during meetings) not allowing a person of another race to join due to their race is a different story. until some one is excluded due to race, it isnt racist

I have yet to hear of a minority club that doesn't allow white members. My wife was a member of the Black Students Union at Southern Miss. :ezbill:

I don't understand why black people think black history month is a good idea. Why don't they teach black history along with all the other history and just call it history?

Because they don't. You'd have to talk to the writers of the history text books about that.

No doubt.

ie, Morgan Freeman was on 60 minutes last year discussing this same thing. He was called out by many in the NAACP and other organizations as being an "Uncle Tom". Which if you were to actually listen to him and understand what he was saying, it totally makes sense.

I have yet to hear of a minority club that doesn't allow white members. My wife was a member of the Black Students Union at Southern Miss. :ezbill:

precisely my point - all should be welcome, and be able to learn whatever they can - but know when you join a club that the topics maybe associated with the club name

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom