Give Drew credit for admitting the deep throws have been missing. (1 Viewer)

That’s not what you said. You said in your previous post that Drew states that sentiment.

Nonetheless, even though we know Drew lost his consistent long ball, I think people are ignoring his tone in that clip. It actually was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Drew says, “APPARENTLY, this is what the Saints have been missing the past few years”. I believe he was being self deprecating by acknowledging that everyone is ragging on him about “noodle arm”. But, I don’t believe Drew agrees that he absolutely couldn’t throw long when needed.
Absolutely not.

I said Brees said that "Apparently this is what the Saints were missing the past few years". Then linked the video where he said it.

Never did anyone say Drew SAID he shouldnt have been here the past few years. You letting your emotions extrapolate incorrectly.

We are saying he wasnt SB effective for last few years and should have retired. We said that...we never said Brees said that.

Good?

Drew grew allot of hair during the offseason. I had to look twice thinking it was a toupee

But if dinking and dunking is all you can do.....God help you in the playoffs...because the defense will cheat. They will put everyone in the box...runs, screens, even dinks and dunks that used to work in regular season wont work anymore. You must have that over the top threat...and threat for QB to call his own number.
Seemed to work ok for Joe Montana. If Jameis continues the ability to avoid INT's and take what defenses give him, then the transition will have worked perfectly. Jameis had to be humbled to be able to listen to Drew as a mentor, who told him that he doesn't always have to be Batman, and that he should spend more time as Bruce Wayne. If last year turns out to be the turning point in Jameis' career, then all works out for the best. My only regret about Drew playing last year was the lack of fans in the stands to be able to show their appreciation.

But if dinking and dunking is all you can do.....God help you in the playoffs...because the defense will cheat. They will put everyone in the box...runs, screens, even dinks and dunks that used to work in regular season wont work anymore. You must have that over the top threat...and threat for QB to call his own number.
Hello! This 💯

I love Drew. Most Saints fans love Drew. But Winston threw for over 5000 yards one season. That does not equate to being able to throw the ball deep with any propensity and efficiency. There is certainly no arguing how great Drew was and how accurate he was. But on the flip side. You, nor anyone else can argue his declining ability to stretch the field, his last 3 to 4 years. Not only for the deep throws, but for the deep out routes. Drew knew. And by Drew’s own admission on Sunday night football, said so himself. But I guess Drew saying it means nothing, as it relates to your stats. We’ll see where Jameis ultimately leads the Saints. Just admit Drew could not have made the 60 yard dime Jameis threw for a TD to Harris, and you will have more credibility.

You of all people taking a shot at Dan's credibility might be one of the most unintentionally funny things I've read in a while on here.

And by the way, for those of you who keep saying "well Drew said"..... It came off to me more like he's been hearing the same criticisms for the last few years and was engaging in self-deprecating humor. Instead it's like y'all are taking it at face value as if he had some grand revelation in that moment.

You of all people taking a shot at Dan's credibility might be one of the most unintentionally funny things I've read in a while on here.

And by the way, for those of you who keep saying "well Drew said"..... It came off to me more like he's been hearing the same criticisms for the last few years and was engaging in self-deprecating humor. Instead it's like y'all are taking it at face value as if he had some grand revelation in that moment.
The year after Brandin made his statement about the long ball accuracy, and inability to reach him, Sean changed the offense. He had to, because that part of the playbook wasnt viable for us anymore...we became a dink and dunk offense. We had some shots to Ginn, but that went away 19ish.

We were sitting ducks for the playoffs and everyone knew it, especially our opponents. So, Drew is being self-deprecating, of course, making light of our down situation for years. I like that he can do that....honestly.

Changing the O did help us with interceptions though....that was a plus. It just solidified us as a regular season team only though...the down side.

Exactly. And I still believe that people are over emphasizing the deep ball.

I mean he says it himself and people still believe without the ability to stretch the field because of Bree's limitations it didn't hurt our chances in the playoffs? Or something?

Of course it was self-deprecating, folks are usually self-deprecating for a reason, because there is truth to what the reason is....

I love DB even more because he can be so honest and funny about it....

But this hero worshipping for DB seems a little over the top to me....

We will see. If Jameis really is going to up his game and become a MVP type QB that has a long run winning lots of games for the Saints, then maybe we look back at last year as a year he helped show the next guy tricks of the trade. Jameis came to New Orleans for not much money 100 percent because he wanted to learn from Brees and a great coach. Yesterday, you can tell understanding you don’t have to throw aggressively down the field every time was an eye opener. The film of this game will be a bit terrifying for opponent DCs when they watch Jaboo running for first down, stepping up with flawless mechanics and foot work and hitting the right receivers underneath, and unleashing a 57 yard in the air strike. Now that he has learned an efficient underneath game, you can’t bait him into bad down field throws. But if you don’t have two safeties, he will also likely burn you long.
He said when he signed last year he was coming to get his masters in the art of quarterbacking. Yesterday looked like he did. Plus he has what looks like the coaching GOAT. And before you go off look what Bellicheat has done post TB. The second best QB to ever play the game

We were sitting ducks for the playoffs and everyone knew it, especially our opponents.

I am so over this false narrative that I've seen repeated multiple times on this forum.....

As if winning 11 to 13 regular season games never happened against eventual playoff teams.

But OH OH OH, sorry Saints, the playoffs are here, now you'll completely forget how to move the ball. Because long pass reasons.

In 2017 and 2018, Brees had playoff wins ripped from him due to the untimely incompetence of others. 2019? I would say that game had more to do with Zimmer's pass rush scheme as opposed to "because long pass reasons". And it STILL went into Overtime. And in 2020......they had a 7 point lead in the 3rd quarter over a team they'd already defeated TWICE, which likely was about to go to 14 until.....once again....untimely incompetence courtesy of a fumble. So let's not pretend some switch magically got flipped every year in the playoffs and the Saints were automatically "figured out" come playoff time. We should have been good enough to win a title with Brees as recent as his final season, which obviously was his most injury-filled.

I am so over this false narrative that I've seen repeated multiple times on this forum.....

As if winning 11 to 13 regular season games never happened against eventual playoff teams.

But OH OH OH, sorry Saints, the playoffs are here, now you'll completely forget how to move the ball. Because long pass reasons.

In 2017 and 2018, Brees had playoff wins ripped from him due to the untimely incompetence of others. 2019? I would say that game had more to do with Zimmer's pass rush scheme as opposed to "because long pass reasons". And it STILL went into Overtime. And in 2020......they had a 7 point lead in the 3rd quarter over a team they'd already defeated TWICE, which likely was about to go to 14 until.....once again....untimely incompetence courtesy of a fumble. So let's not pretend some switch magically got flipped every year in the playoffs and the Saints were automatically "figured out" come playoff time. We should have been good enough to win a title with Brees as recent as his final season, which obviously was his most injury-filled.

Last year he shouldn't have been on the field at all in the playoffs, due to injuries he really wasn't capable of performing. I put that more on SP than Brees.

And of course we were cheated in 2018....but if you don't think that defenses in the playoffs knew Brees couldn't threaten them deep than you really weren't paying attention. Brees was so good at the intermediate and short timing routes that it worked well in the regular season. Not so much in the playoffs...

Brees had playoff wins "ripped" from him? WTH? The Saints had playoff losses due to limitations of the offense and many other factors....

Drew has been so professional as a rookie media personality but when they were talking about the Saints last night I thought he was going to hyperventilate with excitement. He is clearly so excited for those guys.
Drew has been so professional as a rookie media personality but when they were talking about the Saints last night I thought he was going to hyperventilate with excitement. He is clearly so excited for those guys.
Hahaha, Brees knew they were going to go in on the "Maybe that's what Saints were missing the past few years....." and stole the line from them. I love that. He didnt give them a chance to say it, so he said it about himself. The other guys was complaining "You stole my line.....I was gonna say that...".
😅

I don't understand why so many people struggle with the fact that Drew couldn't throw a football very far there towards the end. He could no longer effectively throw a deep pass and hit receivers in stride so that element of the offense was no longer viable. There's no shame in that. It's totally normal for a QB to lose arm strength as he ages.

Admitting that doesn't make Drew any less great. It doesn't mean you're a bad fan or disloyal to Drew. It's just believing what you're seeing. Two things can be true at the same time. Drew Brees is the best passer I have ever seen and his deep ball started to decline around 35 or 36.

Winstons running ability really surprised me
Add to that his ability to make good judgements on when to run. I can't say enough good things about Jamis' game yesterday. Now comes the question on whether he can be consistent. But I've got a good feeling on that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom