Give Drew credit for admitting the deep throws have been missing. (2 Viewers)

It really surprises me how many people don't understand "Sarcasm"

Drew was clearly being sarcastic. Although I agree with it, the tonality of what he said was not him admitting, rather then him hearing all the analyst say it for weeks and him clapping back at it in a serious but playful way.

No offense to anyone on here, bc it even went over the national media's head, but it's hilarious to me 🤣🤣
I’m in a daze thinking that people here don’t realize that one of the most cerebral QBs to ever play the game can’t realize his own limitations.

100% Brees knew that certain routes were off limits the last few years. Due to a combination of injuries, arm strength, and pocket mobility.

If the refs make the call and saints beat the rams there's no doubt drew would of retired if they beat the pats in the superbowl.
I think the plan was to retire after the Super Bowl, win or lose, but after what happened he couldn’t go out on the Rams game.

Kept telling people yeah Drew is great . But Payton as far as scheme and offensive mind I’d literally 2nd to none.
I thank he will get the respect he truly deserves after this season.
Once MT and Stills get rolling I feel like this O will be like 2011. Just explosive

I am so over this false narrative that I've seen repeated multiple times on this forum.....

As if winning 11 to 13 regular season games never happened against eventual playoff teams.

But OH OH OH, sorry Saints, the playoffs are here, now you'll completely forget how to move the ball. Because long pass reasons.

In 2017 and 2018, Brees had playoff wins ripped from him due to the untimely incompetence of others. 2019? I would say that game had more to do with Zimmer's pass rush scheme as opposed to "because long pass reasons". And it STILL went into Overtime. And in 2020......they had a 7 point lead in the 3rd quarter over a team they'd already defeated TWICE, which likely was about to go to 14 until.....once again....untimely incompetence courtesy of a fumble. So let's not pretend some switch magically got flipped every year in the playoffs and the Saints were automatically "figured out" come playoff time. We should have been good enough to win a title with Brees as recent as his final season, which obviously was his most injury-filled.
They say the lack of deep ball is what ended our seasons but Peyton Manning couldn't throw over 10 yards his final year and he won a SB. Defenses win championships. Our offense was still good enough to win it all.

But if dinking and dunking is all you can do.....God help you in the playoffs...because the defense will cheat. They will put everyone in the box...runs, screens, even dinks and dunks that used to work in regular season wont work anymore. You must have that over the top threat...and threat for QB to call his own number.
If teams are trying their best to win every game they play, why aren't they doing all of those things you suggest only take place in the playoffs?

It's not just the 55 yard bomb that was missing. He couldn't throw a 30 yard laser without a deep drop and full leg plant and weight transfer. If you can't do that then 20 yard outs become closed off. It essentially let the other team play inside out and take away the easy stuff.

If teams are trying their best to win every game they play, why aren't they doing all of those things you suggest only take place in the playoffs?

We exploited match-up issues in the regular season. We watched film and targeted either scheme issues or bad fits. The playoff teams obviously have fewer holes to exploit....

I think the TD to Harris late in the game says it all. The past couple of years, that late in a game, after 25-30 passes, Drew doesn't make that throw; and frankly, I don't think he could've made that throw even if it was the first throw of the game. Winston was at the Saints' 36, and Deonte caught that at the 5. The throw went 59 yards.

On a related note, if there was a throw that will make defenses respect the long ball, is that one. It should open a lot close to the line.

I’m in a daze thinking that people here don’t realize that one of the most cerebral QBs to ever play the game can’t realize his own limitations.

100% Brees knew that certain routes were off limits the last few years. Due to a combination of injuries, arm strength, and pocket mobility.
Especially 35 yards and beyond, and outside the numbers. Teams just didnt.even worry about those areas anymore...no need.

You see what happens when you can make all the throws. The defense cant cheat anymore.

It's not just the 55 yard bomb that was missing. He couldn't throw a 30 yard laser without a deep drop and full leg plant and weight transfer. If you can't do that then 20 yard outs become closed off. It essentially let the other team play inside out and take away the easy stuff.
Which they did to us, often.

We exploited match-up issues in the regular season. We watched film and targeted either scheme issues or bad fits. The playoff teams obviously have fewer holes to exploit....
That's what MT was upset about. He said that in the playoffs, teams just closed in, and if the QB cant throw deep (Teams know he cant move the defense back) they just sit on the underneath stuff, all Brees could throw. Playoffs have a faster speed as well, so all the 15 yard things we enjoyed in regular season began to disappear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210914-212321_Bleacher_Report-2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-212321_Bleacher_Report-2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 6
Winston running on that first series completely surprised GB.

They were really good instinctive runs too. When I used to watch him in Tampa he would sometimes hesitate too long or force a pass.

He looks poised and patient here- reacting to the opportunities rather than forcing it.

There was one play where he had forever to throw. Tampa Winston would have launched it. I was so impressed he went through his reads, saw there was nothing, and threw it away. That’s a play people won’t talk about but is just as big as a TD

I am so over this false narrative that I've seen repeated multiple times on this forum.....

As if winning 11 to 13 regular season games never happened against eventual playoff teams.

But OH OH OH, sorry Saints, the playoffs are here, now you'll completely forget how to move the ball. Because long pass reasons.

In 2017 and 2018, Brees had playoff wins ripped from him due to the untimely incompetence of others. 2019? I would say that game had more to do with Zimmer's pass rush scheme as opposed to "because long pass reasons". And it STILL went into Overtime. And in 2020......they had a 7 point lead in the 3rd quarter over a team they'd already defeated TWICE, which likely was about to go to 14 until.....once again....untimely incompetence courtesy of a fumble. So let's not pretend some switch magically got flipped every year in the playoffs and the Saints were automatically "figured out" come playoff time. We should have been good enough to win a title with Brees as recent as his final season, which obviously was his most injury-filled.
Someone who actually does research and facts. Thank you

Just outta curiosity...did the watch the Saints with/without Drew Brees? TB starting is when Murray surged as a star. He only manage the game. Hill was average and faced the easiest part of NO schedule.

I understand you guys wanna believe the deep ball was missing and they may be true...but you underestimate the benefit of having a smart QB. As I've said JW manage the ball game. He didn't do too much. Nobody can deny the poor play of GB. GB threw in the towel when the game started.

I was impressed with JW, because he ain't force the ball. But again one game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom