Given the aggressive approach so far by the NFL, I now believe they will carry on with the season no matter what (1 Viewer)

Well I hope so because within a week or so the global death rate of those infected jumped from 7 to 14 percent.
Did you even think before you posted that?

The death rate stands at roughly 4% worldwide, and that's skewed by Italy's death rate of a whopping 10% due to an aged population and overwhelmed healthcare system that is choosing who to let live right now. If you factor out Italy, the global death rate is 3%.

The US death rate will end up being below 1%, and possibly well below 1% when all is said and done. It will still be more deadly than the common flu, but not by margins initially thought.

The death rate stands at roughly 4% worldwide, and that's skewed by Italy's death rate of a whopping 10% due to an aged population and overwhelmed healthcare system that is choosing who to let live right now. If you factor out Italy, the global death rate is 3%.

The US death rate will end up being below 1%, and possibly well below 1% when all is said and done. It will still be more deadly than the common flu, but not by margins initially thought.
1 percent is still 10x higher than the flu. We could very well become Italy if our hospitals become overwhelmed. It's not just old people dying now, in fact they aren't even trying to save people over 60 now in Italy. If you check out the closed cases, it's 14 percent Screenshot_20200324-090810.png

Last week that number was 7. Do you even check before posting? The number of those in critical care has hovered at at 4 to 5 percent yet the death rate doubled. Doctors have said they are surprised at how people with no underlying medical conditions can turn so quickly . Yet people want to ignore quarantine advice so this thing can spread more. Which means the economy is tanking for no reason because people can't listen.

And here's a few weeks ago
And then a few days ago it was at 10 but I bet it could jump to 20 and people like you would be like "but it's just old people" Until it's somebody you know you don't understand the severity but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200318-141041.png
    Screenshot_20200318-141041.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It's all speculation at this point because we have not peaked yet. NY has the potential to look like Italy. I'm surprized that so many people that have first hand experience of a natural disaster (Katrina) think that things will recover so quickly. This is uncharted territory.

If the NHL and NBA do cancel the rest of the season, the NFL would have the distinction of being the only of the "Big 4" sports in have never lost an entire postseason.

Edit: The NHL has lost an entire season before, so its down the NBA and NFL.

It's all speculation at this point because we have not peaked yet. NY has the potential to look like Italy. I'm surprized that so many people that have first hand experience of a natural disaster (Katrina) think that things will recover so quickly. This is uncharted territory.
I give up though, people are going to believe what they want to believe and browse fringe websites and cherry pick data to confirm their bias. I live in a small town and more people are out now than ever but hopefully it's different in the bigger cities. Hopefully the quarantine measures taken can slow it down enough to where hospitals won't be overwhelmed and we can keep the death rate low. That way these "geniuses" can say "see I told you, no big deal".

Last edited:

It's nice to be optimistic and I hope to be proven wrong, but you're looking out of rose colored glasses. You mentioned people can now easily get tests now (paraphrasing) and that is simply not true. In many states there are long wait lists and panic, shortage of medical supplies and on and on.
The WHO which tend to know a thing or two about pandemics since that's their job put out a release this morning that the USA has the POTENTIAL to be the epi center of the world wide pandemic.

Hope I'm wrong and you're right... but

1 percent is still 10x higher than the flu. We could very well become Italy if our hospitals become overwhelmed. It's not just old people dying now, in fact they aren't even trying to save people over 60 now in Italy. If you check out the closed cases, it's 14 percent Screenshot_20200324-090810.png

Last week that number was 7. Do you even check before posting? The number of those in critical care has hovered at at 4 to 5 percent yet the death rate doubled. Doctors have said they are surprised at how people with no underlying medical conditions can turn so quickly . Yet people want to ignore quarantine advice so this thing can spread more. Which means the economy is tanking for no reason because people can't listen.

And here's a few weeks ago
And then a few days ago it was at 10 but I bet it could jump to 20 and people like you would be like "but it's just old people" Until it's somebody you know you don't understand the severity but hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Come off the ledge.

Yea I figured you would have no interest in facts. For instance, between the time I posted, and the time you replied, the death rate jumped from 14% to 15%. Perhaps if I summed it up in a simple meme you would have a better understanding of reality. "It's only old people so screw them! "

it's going to keep spreading because idiots can't stay home thinking the government decided to cripple the economy by shutting everything down because of an overreaction. I had to pick up a prescription today, everyone hording massive amounts of food at the store, yet the McDonald's drive thru nearby had a line wrapped around the building. I saw an old obese lady on oxygen smoking a cigarette. Should my family be put at risk because people want to die? Symptoms take a few days to manifest and that's how it spreads. This is not like the earlier SARS outbreak where we were able to isolate people fairly quickly. Not to mention I've worked fast food and everybody works sick as there isn't sick pay. I've seen some very unsanitary conditions like a manager making sandwiches with no gloves wiping snot off of her nose and then finishing the sandwich. That's the last thing we should be doing. By no means is fast food an "essential business" yet they're doing well right now.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom