Giving Vaccaro a Big Multi-Year Extension is the Type Move that Got Us in the Mess (2 Viewers)

I'm confused. You act like by not extending Vacarro we're going to get someone cheaper and better..... that's not how free agency works these days. You draft your own talent, if that doesn't pan out you PAY for expensive young players at their positions.

The rookie wage scale and really the length of time a team owns the players rights has completely distorted the pay curve(contrary to what the NFLPA thought would happen).

Teams pay nothing for players under 25 essentially and nothing for players over 30. Any starting caliber player in between those 2 points is getting paid top tier money automatically because so many teams have huge of amounts of excess cap space sitting around.

An argument could me made that by NOT giving Jenkins a big multi year extension is also what got us into the Jairus Byrd mess. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. But I think the lesson we learned that offseason is maybe we shouldn't take our good players for granted.

I think it was the other way around. I think whoever makes (or made) such personnel decisions wanted Byrd and valued him more than Jenkins because of interceptions. Byrd had more interceptions than Jenkins, and turnovers where a huge factor in the 2009 season's success.

Jenkins signed with the Eagles for 4 yrs @ 35M w/ 21M guaranteed
Byrd signed with the Saints for 6 yrs @ 56M w/ 28M guaranteed
In terms of guaranteed money over length of contract, those numbers are practically a wash (about 750K a year difference).

And a few of things worth mentioning:
Jenkins didn't intercept many balls, but he was solid, and he made plays, like the strip in Dallas, or doing his best Darrel Green imitation running down that Tampa WR to prevent a TD.
Byrd was brought to NO with the knowledge he was nicked. Jenkins was by all accounts healthy.
Byrd has not been a factor in his time in NO. Jenkins was moved to SS, adn he's a big factor in a defense led by one of the better DC's in the league.

No, giving free agents like Byrd put us in salary cap hell.

Apparently we can't draft well, at all, but when we do, we should let the player walk?

Confusing board.

vacarro is good but not great. offer him a modest contract based on his overall body of work and if he walks so be it.

This^

As Loose Cannon said the minute we drafted KV, he was in shock. He's seen KV every play KV played at UT. Before the new coach Charlie Strong, UT players were some of the best paid most spoiled players in NCAA. Some of the players were great, but many underperformed. KV used to take plays off at UT. He was inconsistent. Always a big hitter, but often took bad angles. Great game, then disappear the next.

It just ironically so happens this is a contract year. And wow, he is playing his best. KV is a high risk of getting a big contract then playing well enough just not to get hurt.

If we re-sign him, it needs to be reasonable and very heavy incentive based.

An argument could me made that by NOT giving Jenkins a big multi year extension is also what got us into the Jairus Byrd mess. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. But I think the lesson we learned that offseason is maybe we shouldn't take our good players for granted.

Is he really a good top NFL player or an occasional good player who stands out on a terrible defense? Let's see what the market is willing to offer KV before we jump in.

bingo

Letting Vacarro walk would be a big mistake. He is a player that we drafted and developed and now is easily one of the top contributors on defense.

If we let Vaccaro walk, who are we going to replace him with? A rookie? A vet that has been passed around the league? Are we going ot break the bank on a stud SS and watch him come here and give us the same production we get with KV? Im convinced some of yall dont watch the games.

Let him walk and this is M.Jenkins 2.0. Some other team will benefit and we be stuck with another hole to fill.

he has not been the impact player we have so desparately needed him to be

no way you offer him anything significant, let him walk and waste the time and money of some other organization

no way you offer him anything significant, let him walk and waste the time and money of some other organization

You can't possibly be serious. He's literally the only one in the secondary holding things together when he is on the field.

You don't offer him top SS money, but you definitely don't let him walk out the door. He is one of the only bright spots on the defense.

If we had Breaux, PJ, Vaccaro and a decent FS our secondary would look amazing in comparison to what we see out there right now.

Significant $$? Na i don't think so either. But he has had 1 bad year in his career, every other year has been average or above average. To say he hasn't been an impact player means you simply aren't paying attention.

It's not a matter of not extending players. It is a matter of not paying JJ Watt money for someone who's not JJ Watt.

Vaccaro is a good player, but he's no Ronnie Lott. Galette wasn't special, Jordan isn't special. A team should not break the bank for such players. Now, I know the decision to pay some athletes does take into consideration the marketing side of it, but strictly speaking football, you should not pay premium prices for regular performances.
Nobody is claiming Vaccaro is Ronnie Lott. Andy Benoit thinks highly of him though:

#Saints notes: Vaccaro at his best looks like future All-Pro. In Yr 4, time for him to be at or near his best more regularly.
https://twitter.com/Andy_Benoit/status/767791711896543232

Jordan is disappointing?

Call it under achieving, pair him up with a young stud on the other end and I bet him game goes up. This team needs a 15 sack DE, that would win us a game or two here and there. I wouldn't pay Cam top ten money from just his play on the field alone. Same with Kenny.

Jordan is disappointing?

in my opinion he is.

don't get me wrong, teams know he's the only player on the Saints d-line that they have to have any real fear of, even with Fairley playing really well as of late.

but he's invisible a lot of the time and it's not like he's being double teamed. you'd think he'd be a little more active than he is. I'm not saying he's not a good player.

Giving Vaccaro a Big Multi-Year Extension is the Type Move that Got Us in the Mess

That couldn't be farther from the truth. Drafting, grooming and letting good players walk is the type of move that got us into this mess. He's been better than average for his whole time here and extending him would be a mistake? I'd say letting him walk would be the mistake. If he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league or something like that, then you've got to consider letting him go, but if he's willing to sign a reasonable deal...you've got to lock him up.

He's been a team player, on and off the field, and hasn't let the fact that he's been a part of some of the worst defenses possible effect his attitude thus far. Lots of players with less mettle would hang their heads and quit. He's shown no sign of that and has not been one of the problems with this D. He's been one of the lone bright spots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom