Glazer: Saints view Taysom as franchise QB. But will welcome back Brees. (Now with video) (1 Viewer)

Hill no longer even has a horrific history of season ending injuries. Matter of fact, I can't recall him ever missing a game due to injury since he's been in the league.

He hasn't played the position in the pros where he sustained all of the injuries in college.

He hasn't played the position in the pros where he sustained all of the injuries in college.
Yeah, but he's played positions that are just as, if not more, physically demanding than QB and still hasn't gotten hurt. His injury history is pretty far in the rear view mirror at this point.

My two concerns with starting Taysom at QB:

1) I f'n love Taysom in his current role. He is very valuable as is, and seems to be getting better every week. My personal best case scenario is Taysom stays as is.
2) Can he stay healthy? I love watching Taysom bulldoze people, but not ideal for a starting QB. How valuable is he if you remove that facet of his game?

I believe he can be a great starting QB, but for how long?
He said he'd not be trucking people and would slide/go out of bounds as a QB. He'd take less punishment as a QB than he is in his current role.

watch the preseason...he ducked out of bounds often and even slid a few times.

This seems about right. I mentioned this to my wife last night and she immediately asked why they don't just pick up the phone and talk to each other. It's a good question. Why the public positioning? Why the game? You'd think all the agents involved are familiar with Loomis and Payton and could simply speak plainly. But maybe this establishes expectations, etc .

I may be wrong and someone further along in the thread may have raised this point but I thought the NFL free agency rules limit such direct communication before a certain negotiating date. Maybe someone else know the rules better and can enlighten us.

This is what I found

• February 25: First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
  • March 10: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
  • March 16-18: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2019 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 18.
  • March 18: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2020 on all players who have option clauses in their 2019 contracts.
  • March 18: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.

Has he signed with someone? Did he get an offer from the Pats or TB? I know he's a free agent but some of you guys are being a little presumptuous considering he has said it would take a special situation to leave.

I don't think teams are allowed before the FA negotiating window.

Yeah, but he's played positions that are just as, if not more, physically demanding than QB and still hasn't gotten hurt. His injury history is pretty far in the rear view mirror at this point.

His total snaps in the NFL equate to roughly one full season as a starter. That is not putting five years worth of season-ending injuries "far in the rear view". I mean, he's stayed healthy in the NFL - I'm not debating that. But his play style is physical and we have maybe roughly a season's worth of data in the pros. So at best, the jury is still out.

It get the sentiment but it seems like so many people are eagerly jumping over #2 to get to #3. So disrespectful.

Players know that their position on a roster is mostly a cold heartless decision making process. Drew is the only case I can think of where sentiment may play a part. Releasing Drew would be a nuclear bomb in the club house and in the stadium.

That is why I think the talk of a transition year to ease him into retirement and develop Taysom or maybe a draft pick into the starting role.

To be honest this is why QB leave near the top of their game. Drew is on that cusp. Maybe he has another stellar year in him but nobody wants to see him play a had been season. No body and especially Drew wants to see him benched in a season. That would break a lot of hearts. That is again why I think they are talking up a transition year so seeing him share the load with another QB is the plan and not a shock to the Fans.

Lock me up in a padded room but I would love to see Taysom playing defense and rushing the QB.

That would truly cement his do it all legend.

There has never been a player like him up to this point (maybe Kordell Stewart - but even he's not a good comparison)... so it would be unfair and unrealistic to compare him in an "apples to apples" type of perspective.

You're giving away your age. There was a time when more players were like Taysom than not. If you weighed under 250 pounds, and couldn't run, throw, tackle, kick, punt, defend a pass, you had trouble breaking into the NFL.

Lock me up in a padded room but I would love to see Taysom playing defense and rushing the QB.

That would truly cement his do it all legend.
I love it! Imagine, Taysom rushes the QB and forces a strip-sack, then drops back and releases a 60 yard bomb to the Safety, who fake-blitzed the QB but just kept on running.

Is it legal? Who cares?? It would be AWESOME!

Of course, if Taysom didn't wind up with the strip-sack, then the Safety hanging out by himself in the endzone would look pretty dumb, but I'm not a coach and don't have to worry about these things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom