Glenn Foster Jr. (edit: former Saint arrested in Alabama, died in custody) (1 Viewer)

For 99% of them they are. I have a family of them. The idea that you think they aren’t is ignorant. This mentality that police are bad is dangerous and it’s getting tiresome that people tend to mislead the public.
I have been in law enforcement for well over 30 years across many different states from large departments such as Baltimore police to smaller departments in towns you likely never heard of. Most police officers are doing their best to do the right thing, but I can tell you that in my experience you are way over estimating. Thankfully I personally have helped to put a few of the bad apples in jail. Most LEO and Prosecutors arent racist so much as classists. In other words you dont have to be "black" for them to lie to protect their own. The incorrect and over use of the word "civilian" is the tell sign who they are really out to protect and defend.

The small town officers can sometimes be both the best and the worst. I had one such prosecutor try to put me in jail based on my driving record which had one too many burnt out light bulbs for her liking. Fortunately, the judge was having none of it and instead thanked me for my service.

That WWL article is interesting.

So his parents showed up to the jail to bail him out and they saw an ambulance pull up and assumed it was for their son. They were then told it was for the guy that their son just beat up.

Then they saw a squad car pull away with their son in the back of it to take him to a hospital. Sometime in the 30 min between then and when they got to the hospital he died.

That is, unless he was already dead when they put him in the car (which would seem to indicate an absurd attempt at a cover up).

With them not saying what the cause of death was, my immediate assumption is that it either happened while they were trying to detain him and accidentally used lethal force, or it happened later due to injuries suffered during. But again, assumption.

It's really hard to pass judgment because I have never had to try and subdue a former NFL player who is having a mental episode, but It just feels like there was enough time after the jail being notified by the family of his mental illness that they could have isolated him until the family got there to take him to the hospital.

Correct, sadly though the dvr system with a large enough hdd to record 24/7 at a high enough resolution where you can make out faces isn't cheap. Neither is the professional installation of all that equipment. And it has to be a reputable, licensed installer if you plan on using any of said footage in any legal action.
I have some small experience with enterprise level systems such as these so will add some things I've come across in the past.

COTS (commercial off the shelf) options are a non-starter due to legal implications. Things in which you have government legal action taking place there is chain of custody. The system has to stand up against legal standards that prove the video is authentic, protected from unauthorized access, and unaltered from when it was taken.

The systems are also much more resilient to downtime and data corruption. COTS is good enough for your door bell but it's not going to hold against significant legal action as I understand it.

keeping people's whose liberty you have taken responsibility for safe
I agree. They can't arrest people and let them die. But I’m not going to pretend that it’s easy. I worked on a psych ward…and it’s very difficult to prevent a mentally unstable person from hurting themselves or others, with even good resources. We are talking about an NFL athlete defensive lineman here…in a small police station. Absolutely, a lot could go wrong. The police seemed to actually care about him. Otherwise, why both with trying to discuss his mental state with his family? I’m sure that this could have gone better… because things can always go better. But I really want to see the circumstances before going too far down the path of condemnation.

Last edited:
I feel 99% of the people who hate cops have some sort of record. Kinda like how the bad kids hated the teachers back in school.
I don't hate cops, I just think everyone should have a level of responsibility for their actions. As someone that works with them often, most are very helpful. I've also had a really big sample size of some being overly aggressive and escalate very basic situations. There is no reason police officers shouldn't be held accountable at a high level just as I am in my job. There should also be complete transparency. If you don't believe they are afforded special treatment, try to pull the next cop that speeds past you over for speeding. When that doesn't work, report him to his superior and then try to find out the outcome. Yeah, that's a really simple example but if who determines where that line is held?

I can't speak highly enough about California Highway Patrol in Northern California. It's just a different level and type of policing to anything we are familiar with in the South. After several trips to Spain, Portugal and Ireland I've become ultra aware just how many police we have here in Ms and how differently the policing is done.

I like the Saints but I also want to see them improve in every possible area they can. Not sure why that same logic can't be applied to something far more critical with policing.

For 99% of them they are. I have a family of them. The idea that you think they aren’t is ignorant. This mentality that police are bad is dangerous and it’s getting tiresome that people tend to mislead the public.
Cops are regular people. Pick 100 random people from your neighborhood or community and put them in uniforms and give them guns.

Now.

Are they all special? Are they all good. Are they all smart? Objective? Do they have sound judgment. Are they all color-blind. Are they honest. Dude. Noooo.

They're the idiots speeding through the neighborhoods all fast. Not bringing their garbage can in from the curb until 2 days after the garbage truck has passed. They don't pick up their dog's poop. And they don't take their Christmas lights down until February.

And that's just what you witness as you grab your mail.

Applying for a job as a LEO and being hired doesn’t transfrom you into a different person.

It's not that farfetched to think that regular people - like cops - screw up a lot.

While I personally have no opinion on this particular case, it's thoroughly understandable why some folks are suspicious.

For all intents and purposes, we're talking about a dude named Jack who lives two streets over. How can you so confidently declare that 99% of all Jacks aren't arses.

Cops are regular people. Pick 100 random people from your neighborhood or community and put them in uniforms and give them guns.

Now.

Are they all special? Are they all good. Are they all smart? Objective? Do they have sound judgment. Are they all color-blind. Are they honest. Dude. Noooo.

They're the idiots speeding through the neighborhoods all fast. Not bringing their garbage can in from the curb until 2 days after the garbage truck has passed. They don't pick up their dog's poop. And they don't take their Christmas lights down until February.

And that's just what you witness as you grab your mail.

Applying for a job as a LEO and being hired doesn’t transfrom you into a different person.

It's not that farfetched to think that regular people - like cops - screw up a lot.

While I personally have no opinion on this particular case, it's thoroughly understandable why some folks are suspicious.

For all intents and purposes, we're talking about a dude named Jack who lives two streets over. How can you so confidently declare that 99% of all Jacks aren't arses.
This is an interesting perspective I hadn’t thought of before 👍🏽

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom