Go get Ryan Kerrigan (1 Viewer)

Kerrigan has indeed been durable for the vast majority of his career, however it’d be foolish to bet on him to remain as healthy at 32 years old as he was when he was 23-30 years old.

Especially at a position as physical as DE and going up against every team’s LT the majority of his snaps.

Totally agree. I think he’s done. Don’t want.

I think that's an exaggeration. They still managed 11 sacks in four games. We had 5 sacks against the Titans, 3 in the playoffs. It hurt not having 3 edge rushers but Hendrickson isn't a bum.

I think Hendrickson really stepped up last year. He had one of the better pressure rates in the league. I don't think you want to take away from our 3 DEs snaps. If you add a guy it's only about injury risk. How good of a guy are you going to sit on the bench waiting for an injury to happen.

Our DTs were pretty lacking for the position (as far as pass rush). I'm betting on Rankins though. If you didn't have faith in him, I'd see that as a better spot to look for some rush.

Agree to disagree. Look at who we played to get those numbers:

-Tannehill without Derrick Henry, who has notoriously had poor pocket presence when forced away from the running game.

-Grier/Allen. Enough said.

-Brissett in a game that was never in doubt, so they were forced to throw a lot more.

Sack numbers are one thing. But Cynthia Frelund did a great breakdown earlier in the year about how great our front was at getting close to the QB. They were putting constant pressure on QBs earlier in the yeae. Even mobile QBs who we had to be careful and keep contain against.

The DL wasn’t nearly the same after that. You lose two players who could rush the passer *and* were good against the run and it catches up to you.

I think that's an exaggeration. They still managed 11 sacks in four games. We had 5 sacks against the Titans, 3 in the playoffs. It hurt not having 3 edge rushers but Hendrickson isn't a bum.

I think Hendrickson really stepped up last year. He had one of the better pressure rates in the league. I don't think you want to take away from our 3 DEs snaps. If you add a guy it's only about injury risk. How good of a guy are you going to sit on the bench waiting for an injury to happen.

Our DTs were pretty lacking for the position (as far as pass rush). I'm betting on Rankins though. If you didn't have faith in him, I'd see that as a better spot to look for some rush.

Most of those sacks were blitzes. In the Vikings playoff game we played coverage and our front four couldn’t get a pass rush going. Davenport and Rankins are essential to just getting pressure with the d-line.

DE is not a position we should spend time discussing. We invested a lot in the DE position and it paid off. We have two excellent starters and a decent backup.

DT is a bigger need. If we want to help the pass rush, we need a DT to play when Rankins cannot.

LB is a bigger need. We have 1 great LB who plays; 1 great LB who gets hurt, and 1 solid LB who is a FA.

CB is a bigger need, if we decide that we cannot afford Jenkins.

Safety is a bigger need. Bell is a FA and Williams is unreliable.

I honestly don't know how the front office will approach the D line issue. We have a D a great D line IF guys are healthy but without 2 starters our abilty to geberate presuure declines because teams can just double Cam. I think a stud OLB may help without giving up on Rankins and Marcus.

He may have been injured last year and getting up there in age but he's a lunch pail, high motor, blue collar pass rusher with all the intangibles.

What could go wrong?

Made me chuckle with your description of him. My brother and I laugh all the time because certain players are described that way.

No. He’s faded. Family are huge Skins fans and don’t want him at all anymore.

QFT....OP must not watch or pay attention to the Skins much. Dude is a warrior, played hurt a lot, good dude and all but 32 years old injury prone and in decline, really puzzled that someone would want him here....

FWIW, I always liked Kerrigan. He's solid. Hes been hampered by injuries lately and he'd be a bit of a risky get. Unless it's a really cap friendly deal, I'd rather pass on him.

I agree other positions are needed more, but what abundance of young productive talent are you referring to? Anyone other than the oft injured Davenport?
At DE we have arguably the best DE in football, a productive first round pick with huge upside, and an athletic situational pass rusher. We have another good young affordable run stuffer who can play and end tackle, and we have a very talented undrafted guy who was undrafted not because of lack of ability, but off-field issues which now appear to be behind him. That's five good options at DE, who all belong on an NFL roster, all at various stages on the development curve. Hardly any team has that many. I'm not sure any other team does.

Can you ever have enough? No. But you don't want to miss out on upgrading weak areas in order to strengthen a strength. There's only so many guys at one position you can put on the field at once.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom