GOAT boxer and Dream Bout (1 Viewer)

To me, it’s easily Manny Pacquiao vs Ray Leonard. Those dudes were/are the quintessential boxer/punchers of their generations. They’d beat you w/their boxing & footwork, rearrange your face, or flat out put you to bed w/power. That’s my dream matchup right there.

Pacquiao vs Roberto Duran would be wild out too.

How about Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Sugar Ray Robinson?
Robinson is the greatest boxer of all time.

Or how about Hagler vs. Hopkins?

I'd like to see Hearns v. Roy Jones Jr.
just stumbled on this
that era of Sugar Ray, Duran, Hagler, Hearns was amazing and far and away my favorite

tyson is being humble. rope-a-dope wouldn't have a chance with tyson's power.

Certainly not in the early rounds, but in the later rounds, I think Ali would dominate Tyson. Foreman packed just as much punch as Tyson and he couldn't get it done. Foreman had one of the strongest punches in history, but he wasn't the technician Ali was. I think Ali would have those same advantages vs Tyson.

And I'm a pretty big fan of Tyson when he was in his prime. Second only to Ali imo.

Certainly not in the early rounds, but in the later rounds, I think Ali would dominate Tyson. Foreman packed just as much punch as Tyson and he couldn't get it done. Foreman had one of the strongest punches in history, but he wasn't the technician Ali was. I think Ali would have those same advantages vs Tyson.

And I'm a pretty big fan of Tyson when he was in his prime. Second only to Ali imo.
agreed. it depends on when ali is tired enough, or whatever made him want to get to that point, is when tyson would win. after 5-7, maybe 10 depending on the mike, would ultimately lose.

To me, it’s easily Manny Pacquiao vs Ray Leonard. Those dudes were/are the quintessential boxer/punchers of their generations. They’d beat you w/their boxing & footwork, rearrange your face, or flat out put you to bed w/power. That’s my dream matchup right there.

Pacquiao vs Roberto Duran would be wild out too.

Ray Leonard stood toe-to-toe with Marvin Hagler. He'd make mince meat out of Pac.

Pernell Whitaker vs Pac would be a better bout.

Ray Leonard stood toe-to-toe with Marvin Hagler. He'd make mince meat out of Pac.

Pernell Whitaker vs Pac would be a better bout.
i agree, in theory, but wouldn't that be a great fight to watch?

tyson is being humble. rope-a-dope wouldn't have a chance with tyson's power.

Maybe

But 1974 Rope a Dope Ali isn’t prime Ali

1967 Ali is a different story

That Ali was hard to hit and could dance all night

And we never saw the true “prime” Ali

If he had been able to fight those 3 years we would have seen what the best version of Muhammad Ali looked like

Last edited:

Foreman wasn't prepared mentally and his corner did him no favors in that fight.

Tyson with Cus D'Amato in his corner versus Ali in his prime would have been a hell of a match because prime Tyson was, to me, a quicker Frazier, and Frazier was a tremendous fighter, one of the best ever.

I would have like to have seen prime Larry Holmes (vastly underrated because no one could match him, so it always seemed like he never had a real challenger) against prime Ali. Would have been closer than folks think. And oh BTW Rocky Marciano didn't go 49-0 just because he was a white hope.

Get me peak Sugar Ray Robinson versus peak Marvin Hagler.

And spare me Leonard, who dodged Hagler for years until the older Hagler had come back to his level, and then demanded the largest ring and puffiest gloves available.

But IMO the best fights ever were the three (!) Ward-Gatti fights.

"Toe-to-toe" my ******* ***.

Leonard stood only fought Hagler after Leonard dodged Hagler for years until Hagler got older and slower, and then Leonard insisted on pillow-sized gloves and a huge ring, and Leonard ran around all night avoiding Hagler and scoring points with Olympic-style jabs at the end of each round, winning a split decision. He then refused to give Hagler a rematch, saying he was "retired", and then when Hagler retired, Leonard had another fight.

Please.

Give me Hagler, Hearns, Pacman, Floyd, or any number of other non-heavyweights before you give me Leonard.

i agree, in theory, but wouldn't that be a great fight to watch?

Leonard boxed Roy Jones as an older fighter and got out of the ring and declared that Roy was the best he'd ever seen.

I don't think he ever got back in the ring again and I'm pretty sure Roy was 17 and just home from being robbed at the Olympics.

Foreman wasn't prepared mentally and his corner did him no favors in that fight.

Tyson with Cus D'Amato in his corner versus Ali in his prime would have been a hell of a match because prime Tyson was, to me, a quicker Frazier, and Frazier was a tremendous fighter, one of the best ever.

I would have like to have seen prime Larry Holmes (vastly underrated because no one could match him, so it always seemed like he never had a real challenger) against prime Ali. Would have been closer than folks think. And oh BTW Rocky Marciano didn't go 49-0 just because he was a white hope.

Get me peak Sugar Ray Robinson versus peak Marvin Hagler.

And spare me Leonard, who dodged Hagler for years until the older Hagler had come back to his level, and then demanded the largest ring and puffiest gloves available.

But IMO the best fights ever were the three (!) Ward-Gatti fights.

Agree on Larry Holmes

And you can add to that that many considered him to be just Ali’s sparring partner

Couldn’t you argue that early Tyson didn’t fight anyone near his level either?

Inferior competition got Holmes underrated and overlooked but Tyson considered one of the greatest ever?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom