God I hope we don't overpay for Fairley (1 Viewer)

NorfolkedSaint

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes he was arguably our best DT but that's not really saying a whole lot with our awful defense. He doesn't have the best track record, too many up and down seasons for my taste for a massive contract. If the price is fair I'm good with it, but overpaying and stupid contracts is what was a big factor in how we got to our current state of affairs.

If he wants 10 million a year I say let him walk.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Most players get paid in the NFL they production decrease. They no longer feel they half to play as hard.

The problem is: what is overpaying? There are a lot of teams with a lot of cap space. Last year the prices were high and this year the prices will be even higher. I am even scared the saints will not be able to do much with only 30 mi of cap space.

It's not good to "overpay" for anyone. Just saying.

I put this in another thread the other day. Make an offer that gives him a nice bump next year with a clause that guarantees possibly half of 2018 if he reaches 6 sacks or so.

You play around like this and he walks and we're idiots for letting a valuable player leave because we wanted to save some money. The guy had a prove it deal, he proved it. And now you're worrying about if we count pennies?

If I were Fairley, I'd get ****** if the Saints brass did me like that. Mother died mid-season and I kept playing hard anyway because that's what's required of me.

Don't BS around. There's metrics and stats out the wazoo. Find a similarly productive player at DT and give him a good offer.

Pay the man.

I can't imagine him commanding a hefty salary. I mean, he had two seasons for the Lions with 4-5 sacks, and the Rams only paid him about 4M, which is close to what he earned from us, with his incentives.

He's hit FA twice in the last two years and couldn't command more than a 1 year prove it deal.

He played well, but not exceptional. Some of his sacks were from pressure from Cam Jordan too.

I still see a guy earning 3-6M/year. I see a 2-3 year deal, with sack / playing time incentives.

It's a fair argumemt. He has earned a pay day, but not 10 Mil a year. I'd say absolute Max id offer would be 6.5 million a year and I'd be more comfortable around 5

You play around like this and he walks and we're idiots for letting a valuable player leave because we wanted to save some money. The guy had a prove it deal, he proved it. And now you're worrying about if we count pennies?

If I were Fairley, I'd get ****** if the Saints brass did me like that. Mother died mid-season and I kept playing hard anyway because that's what's required of me.

Don't BS around. There's metrics and stats out the wazoo. Find a similarly productive player at DT and give him a good offer.

Pay the man.

I totally agree. This man laid it all out for us this season. We can't afford to let him walk. I'd say a 3 yr. deal 5-6 mil. a year.

I can't imagine him commanding a hefty salary. I mean, he had two seasons for the Lions with 4-5 sacks, and the Rams only paid him about 4M, which is close to what he earned from us, with his incentives.

He's hit FA twice in the last two years and couldn't command more than a 1 year prove it deal.

I see your point but let's look at Fairley's contract this way: Even though he didn't start a single game in 2015 and only had half a sack he still managed to get a contract that paid him 3M plus incentives. He got a contract from the Rams that paid him 5M plus incentives even though he never played a whole season as a Lion and came of a disappointing year where he missed 8 games and only had one sack.

This year it's different. He started more games, had more tackles and sacks than the ever had. I would be surprised if his new contract wouldn't reflect that.

I think we should keep him on small length contracts. I'm not sure if anther team will be willing to throw long term money at him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom