God or Higher being (1 Viewer)

We've touched on this often in other threads, but I like the setup you have here, simply asking for a personal definition of sorts.

I believe that "God" is the power of good that resides in everyone, just as the "Devil" is the evil that lurks within us. You know how you see those people who always do right, naturally, not driven by the hope of some afterlife reward, but simply because it's the thing to do. And those people who seem to love so grandly and naturally. Those people are full of god. Same thing with those people who always do the wrong, mean thing every time. The cruel and unjust. They are full of the devil. I think the fight between god/devil inside everyone is interesting. Whatever tendency we cultivate through our daily practices and teach by those with whom we choose to associate makes us who we are. I also believe that the good and love human beings are capable of is all we need to heal and change the world. Likewise, the evil and cruelty we are all capable of is all we need to destroy it.

So, in short, you are God and so am I. But we are also the devil if we're not careful.

Namaste.

Simply put, there is no proof. That's why it's called a "Faith". The question that any of us can and should ask ourselves is if we believe. If so, then live your life accordingly. It doesn't matter what particular faith you follow, so long as you live your life according to those beliefs.

I had a neighbor a few years back who in an attempt to convert me informed me that the followers of all faiths other than her own were destined for hades. I questioned her on this like this, "So let me get this right, no matter how well I live my life, no matter how pure and chaste my existance is, if I don't pray the way you do, I'm headed downstairs?" "Absolutely", was her response. Forgive me here, but I couldn't resist. I retorted that with such uncertainty regarding religion, there was only one true way to be sure of your final destination. I mean what if she's the one who's praying wrong, and she's destined for the netherworld? Nope, the only way to be truly sure of your destination, I told her, was to worship satan. At that point, she was so flustered, she got up and went home. I never said that I did or would worship the devil, merely that according to what she was trying to push on me (in my own home) there was such uncertainty there was only one way to overcome it. I have the greatest respect for someone who's got a strong faith, but low tolerance of those who try to bully that faith onto others.

We may hit another 100 page thread..... :hihi:

This novel sums up my belief regarding the existence of a Higher Being (or Beings) perfectly.

Attachments

• utf17.jpg
    utf17.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 152
It's ridiculous for us to deny the existence of such an entity -- it's really hard to think all of this is an accident or just naturally occurring; It's also ridiculous for people to say they know what that entity is or that it is going to send us to hell if we don't believe or do something.

All of the dogma that goes with so much "religion" is stupid -- such idiocy like "dressing up" to go to church -- and other similarly stupid practices.

If the Deity wanted us to figure things out, to know which of the tens of thousands of religions were correct, you'd think he/she/it would have made the right choice a little more obvious. The fact that God hasn't made things a little more obvious indicates to me that he/she/it either doesn't exist or doesn't care enough to tell us.

If the Deity wanted us to figure things out, to know which of the tens of thousands of religions were correct, you'd think he/she/it would have made the right choice a little more obvious. The fact that God hasn't made things a little more obvious indicates to me that he/she/it either doesn't exist or doesn't care enough to tell us.

Maybe religion is irrelevant. It is just possible that "God" doesn't want us to ascribe to any particular religion. Perhaps we will hear from Him once we, as a species realize this and follow the true purpose.

Perhaps the "true" way is not through a particular antiquated rite, but rather through inward reflection and the drive to become more than what we are made of. To evolve as a species past the need to discern outer variations in our appearances and minor deviations in culture as chasms that cannot be crossed.

Maybe it is the struggle that makes us worthy of the goal.

enhanced-buzz-31886-1259876299-25.jpg

Simply put, there is no proof. That's why it's called a "Faith". The question that any of us can and should ask ourselves is if we believe. If so, then live your life accordingly. It doesn't matter what particular faith you follow, so long as you live your life according to those beliefs.

I had a neighbor a few years back who in an attempt to convert me informed me that the followers of all faiths other than her own were destined for hades. I questioned her on this like this, "So let me get this right, no matter how well I live my life, no matter how pure and chaste my existance is, if I don't pray the way you do, I'm headed downstairs?" "Absolutely", was her response. Forgive me here, but I couldn't resist. I retorted that with such uncertainty regarding religion, there was only one true way to be sure of your final destination. I mean what if she's the one who's praying wrong, and she's destined for the netherworld? Nope, the only way to be truly sure of your destination, I told her, was to worship satan. At that point, she was so flustered, she got up and went home. I never said that I did or would worship the devil, merely that according to what she was trying to push on me (in my own home) there was such uncertainty there was only one way to overcome it. I have the greatest respect for someone who's got a strong faith, but low tolerance of those who try to bully that faith onto others.

:plus-un2:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom