Going to Chicago (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to Chicago this weekend, I'm taking my girlfirend for her birthday.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to things to do and see. during the day on saturday. we already have plans that night.

also any restaurant ideas would be great. looking for great chicago-style pizza and a really good place for breakfast.

thanks

I lived in Chicago for about 4 months after Katrina. The typical things to do during the day are walk around Millenium Park or Navy Pier, it'll be cold though.

Hanging out in the Lincoln Park neighborhood is pretty cool too; catching a show at Park West was one of my favorite ways to spend a night. Be sure to have an italian beef sandwich with giardiniera, it's pretty tasty. My stay there is kind of a blur now, so I don't really remember any food spots, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I can't offer specific recommendations except for the art and natural history museums downtown. It probably will be cold, perhaps very cold. But Chicago is an absolutely sensational city with much to do and a number of great restaurants.

Shedds Aquarium and the Fields museum are pretty cool. The Sears tower is pretty neat also. And if you look hard enough, there should be some pretty nice little eateries in the area. Nothing like N.O. in the eats dept. but something pretty good. I think there might be some 'gangster' tours too. See where Al Capone and his pals did their thing. I lived there (Naperville) when I was real little, and dont remember too much. Sorry I only recomended the touristy stuff. Hope you have a safe trip and a fun stay while your there.

Go eat at Hancock tower and take a look from the top floor.
Go to second city comedy club.
Catch a Cubs game...ooops who goes to chicago in the winter ;)
Eat
Eat
Eat

Go eat at Hancock tower and take a look from the top floor.

Yes! Go to the bar in the Hancock tower, its one floor below the observation deck and free to get in. Its pretty cool. Then you can walk down Michigan Ave. and pop into the shops and bars along the way. By the time you get to the river you'll have bought plenty and drank plenty.

If you still have time you may want to look at staying in the Club Quarters Hotel. Its right on Michigan and Wacker and is pretty cheap for the area, however unless you are a member you can only stay over the weekend, which is what it appears you are doing.

Definitely go eat one night at the Hancock tower if you can. That view at night is awesome.

The Shedd aquarium was really cool.. obviously the Navy Pier

Dunno where you live, Optimus. It's quite cold up here, right now -- it was 13 degrees outside at noon. We got pretty close to 0 a few nights back. Chicago's generally 10 degrees warmer, but it feels extremely cold down by the lake because of the wind and humidity. So, I guess what I'm saying is: Pack warm.

As for things to do, this thread had a bunch of great suggestions:
http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44536

I can't recommend the bar/restaurant on top of the Hancock building highly enough. Especially since you're taking your S.O.

For pizza:

Uno's created Chicago-style deep dish, so a lot of people go there strictly for that reason. Their pizza's great, it's just got a little bit of a touristy feel to it. It's just north of the Loop, so it's very close to a lot of the activity in downtown Chicago.

Gino's is the other well-known one. I think their pizza is actually a bit better. The original restaurant is a bit farther north than Uno.

Giordano's is really good, too, but it's stuffed pizza rather than deep dish.

For breakfast, it kinda depends where you're staying. There are lots of great little diners in Chicago.

Lou Mitchell's is pretty well-known. I've only been there once. It was good, but just kind of, you know, breakfast.

Bongo Room is very good and it's not far from downtown. This would probably be my choice if I was staying in the city.

There's also a fantastic place at the northern end of the red line, not far from Loyola. There's not much reason for you to find yourself out that way, but if by some chance you do, the Heartland Cafe is one of my favorite breakfast spots.

Also, Manny's is supposed to have incredible corned beef, but I've never been there.

Last edited:
Gino's East is the best Pizza in Chicago and any local there will tell you the same.

There are plenty bars to go to, so no need to get into that one.

If I were going to do anything in Chicago, going to Second City Comedy Club would be numero uno on top of the list considering Wrigley is closed.

The Museum of Fine Art is great as well, if you enjoy Art.

If you and her are into shopping, the Magnificent Mile has all you'll need and make sure you go down Rush street.....lots of upscale stores and nightlife.

Also, the Navy Pier is closed during winter.

Buy a Bears jacket so you can slip in unnoticed.

Get a theme song.

Dunno where you live, Optimus. It's quite cold up here, right now -- it was 13 degrees outside at noon. We got pretty close to 0 a few nights back. Chicago's generally 10 degrees warmer, but it feels extremely cold down by the lake because of the wind and humidity. So, I guess what I'm saying is: Pack warm.

As for things to do, this thread had a bunch of great suggestions:
http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44536

I can't recommend the bar/restaurant on top of the Hancock building highly enough. Especially since you're taking your S.O.

For pizza:

Uno's created Chicago-style deep dish, so a lot of people go there strictly for that reason. Their pizza's great, it's just got a little bit of a touristy feel to it. It's just north of the Loop, so it's very close to a lot of the activity in downtown Chicago.

Gino's is the other well-known one. I think their pizza is actually a bit better. The original restaurant is a bit farther north than Uno.

Giordano's is really good, too, but it's stuffed pizza rather than deep dish.

For breakfast, it kinda depends where you're staying. There are lots of great little diners in Chicago.

Lou Mitchell's is pretty well-known. I've only been there once. It was good, but just kind of, you know, breakfast.

Bongo Room is very good and it's not far from downtown. This would probably be my choice if I was staying in the city.

There's also a fantastic place at the northern end of the red line, not far from Loyola. There's not much reason for you to find yourself out that way, but if by some chance you do, the Heartland Cafe is one of my favorite breakfast spots.

Also, Manny's is supposed to have incredible corned beef, but I've never been there.

Thanks for digging up that thread, I got tied up at work and was going to post it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom