Going to see Bon Jovi tonight! (1 Viewer)

Just as well say capitalism is what is wrong with the music industry. Their music appealed to the lowest common denominator, and that's who is buying millions of albums. The record industry doesn't decide what to produce, they let the masses dictate that and make a ton of money in the process.

Quite the contrary. The record industry TELLS you that WE decide, but they have always been in control of what hits the shelves/airwaves.

Case in point: Primus.

When Primus came out, they were with Caroline Records. Caroline went out of their way to produce, distribute and market their albums. For whatever reason, Primus went to a bigger label (I don't remember which label though). They produced it in their liking, not in Primus'. Not only that, but they were very coy about their distribution too. To top it off, they didn't even promote the album nor the band. Primus eventually went back to Caroline and have been booming ever since.

If a record company doesn't want you out there, they will keep you on THEIR shelf and still make money off the insurance "losses". In some cases, they make more money off the insurance loss over distribution and marketing of an album.

It's a rigged business to have us believe that we make and set the trends, but it's quite the opposite IMO. Why else would have the music you hear on regular radio compared to college radio? They want to control what and who you hear.

Music is taking a serious nosedive as far as talent goes and it's a complete shame. The music gets lazier, lyrics get less political and more stupid, and it's the only time someone like Britney Spears is listed as a "musician". Unless you do rigid research, you are stuck with the schlock they force feed you.

The Antipop

The Earth it did crack open on the day that I was born and a thousand merry pranksters came dancin' through the storm.

I lay cradle bound a howlin' out my mind not knowin' years to come I'd be shoutin' over din

I sucked information through the holes in my skull as my belly gurgles hungry my mouth is always full.

I am Antipop; I'll run against the grain till the day I drop. I am the Antipop; the man you cannot stop.

As a young man, I plug into the tube, but the stench of all that pretense I cannot muddle through.

I lay on my back and scan the radio all that comes out my speakers is a steady syrup flow.

I suck information through the holes in my skull as my belly gurgles hungry my mouth is always full.

I stood by watching and I seen 'em come and go. I seen 'em make that million then vanish in the snow.

They come upon you like a pack of rabid hounds as they slobber in your ears and purge you with their sounds.

Pushing misinformation through the holes in my skull my belly gurgles nauseous and still my mouth is full.

I am Antipop; I'll run against the grain till the day I drop. I am the Antipop; the man you cannot stop.

The Antipop

The Earth it did crack open on the day that I was born and a thousand merry pranksters came dancin' through the storm.

I lay cradle bound a howlin' out my mind not knowin' years to come I'd be shoutin' over din

I sucked information through the holes in my skull as my belly gurgles hungry my mouth is always full.

As a young man, I plug into the tube, but the stench of all that pretense I cannot muddle through.

I lay on my back and scan the radio all that comes out my speakers is a steady syrup flow.

I suck information through the holes in my skull as my belly gurgles hungry my mouth is always full.

I stood by watching and I seen 'em come and go. I seen 'em make that million then vanish in the snow.

They come upon you like a pack of rabid hounds as they slobber in your ears and purge you with their sounds.

Pushing misinformation through the holes in my skull my belly gurgles nauseous and still my mouth is full.

i approve this message :17:

Well, I disagree. The number of Americans who want vapid lyrics and cookie-cutter melodies far outnumber those who want to be challenged by music. Record Labels understand this fact and they back the albums that they know will be hits. How? Because its the exact same album that sold millions of copies last year, and the year before and the year before that.

Betting on American idiocy is the surest way to make tons of money.

Seriously. You own a large label. What is your incentive to take a risk on "new" music that most people won't understand when you have 100 Britney clones whose music will fly off the shelves by rich 14 year old girls?

Well, I disagree. The number of Americans who want vapid lyrics and cookie-cutter melodies far outnumber those who want to be challenged by music. Record Labels understand this fact and they back the albums that they know will be hits. How? Because its the exact same album that sold millions of copies last year, and the year before and the year before that.

Betting on American idiocy is the surest way to make tons of money.

Seriously. You own a large label. What is your incentive to take a risk on "new" music that most people won't understand when you have 100 Britney clones whose music will fly off the shelves by rich 14 year old girls?

I cannot argue that at all. There are MANY more that want to hear cookie cutter brain dead music instead of music that challenges you.

BUT, I don't see/hear any ads promoting the latter. There is a market and I do realize that it's significantly less than the followers, but it's still a profitable market. I have a friend that owns a record company in Chicago and he doesn't touch ANY big time artist. Yet, he is rolling in the dough and traveling the world having a good time too. How bout Mark Samuels with Basin Street Records? Relatively unknown national bands, yet he is really starting to kick in the dough too.

I see your point, but there is still money to be made.

Pop, I thought you'd be a bit familiar with that one.:9:

How bout:

On the coattails of a deadman, we'll ride, we'll ride. On the coattails of a deadman we'll ride, we'll ride high.

Pop, I thought you'd be a bit familiar with that one.:9:

How bout:

On the coattails of a deadman, we'll ride, we'll ride. On the coattails of a deadman we'll ride, we'll ride high.

heh...i always wondered if that song is about courtney love.....

heh...i always wondered if that song is about courtney love.....

Of course it is. Too many connections.

"One day from the depths of his deep darkened hole, he reached out for something to feel. She offered back nothin' but lack of respect so he left himself out with two barrels of steel."

I just realized I used "we'll" instead of "she'll". Oopsies.:covri: Riding the coattails is exactly what she did. The music, the look. Everything.

yes sir....in fact, you could say that they are the "nickleback" of their time.....or that nickleback is the "bon jovi" of today.....whichever you prefer

You know, I'd have to agree with that one. :mwink:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom