Going to see Bon Jovi tonight! (1 Viewer)

Cinderella>Bon Jovi> all other hair bands

Bon Jovi had a couple of solid power balads and the rest was fluff..

Kiss was good and more of a rock band than a hair band GNR was good...

and everything else from that era was pretty much crap (talking about your glam rock hair band stuff)

though I admit to liking Uncle Toms Cabin by warrent.

G&R may have had big hair early on, but they were far from being "hair metal".

If anything, they (and not Nirvana/grunge) killed the genre with their uncompromising approach. Everything that came after them looked downright silly by comparison.

Motley Crue had some good albums too. If it wasn't for his little ooopsie behind the wheel, I'd imagine that Theater of Pain wouldn't have been as "soft" as it was.

I always thought that chuck berry smoked and he was way before I was born. don't understand all the 80's rock put downs amongst the younger set. drums are drums guitars are guitars and vocals are vocals. I'm not a musician so I can't get into the degree of difficulty stuff and as such I could care less about it. As far as how they look, who cares, its the ears not the eyes. anyway, I find the 80's stuff very palatable as well as the current stuff, but to each thier own.

I always thought that chuck berry smoked and he was way before I was born. don't understand all the 80's rock put downs amongst the younger set. drums are drums guitars are guitars and vocals are vocals. I'm not a musician so I can't get into the degree of difficulty stuff and as such I could care less about it. As far as how they look, who cares, its the ears not the eyes. anyway, I find the 80's stuff very palatable as well as the current stuff, but to each thier own.

Might be useful reference to post the hierarchy of musical tastes on the Music Board. It goes as follows:

Top: Jazz, Metal, 80's Alternative, 60's guitar Gods, Blues

Level 2: Classical/Opera, Classic Rock, Obscure local and coffeehouse bands, modern guitar Gods, Beatles

Level 3: Big Band/1940's crooners, 90's alternative, 80's rock, non-Beatles oldies, pre-1980 country

Level 4: Modern pop/emo, 80's pop, easy listening, New Age, film scores

Bottom: 2 cats outside my window having sex, American Idol runners up, post-1980 country, hair bands

Below that: Linkin Park, FOB, Daughtry, American Idol winners

Where you fall on that chart determines your music sophistication. Note: Rap not on the list as it fails to classify as "music"

if you like it great, just dont try to call it rock.

GnR is defenitly just plain Rock and Roll. Appetite For Destruction was, and still is a great album. One of the best Rock albums ever written.

Aside from the guitarists of the 80's glam/hair metal bands, the rest of the members in almost every band were interchangable with one another.

Standard bass lines, really bad vocals, and average drumming.

dude??

from the guy who posted the hatebreed thread, this news is rather disappointing

LOL Don't be disappointed, man. It was totally for the wife. It's a band she's always wanted to see, and since she doesn't really like to go to concerts all that much, I decided to take one for the team and take her to see Jovi.

I've gotta say, though, they were very country sounding in a lot of their riffs/songs during the set....especially the newer stuff. You can definitely tell by their energy level that they've been doing their thing for 25 years now, because for as packed as the Anaheim Pond was, the energy level was definitely lacking.

I can't wait to go see Hatebreed on 6/3 in a little hole in the wall bar in Anaheim called The Grove!

If you were born in 1987 EDIT: your age says 24 still the same though..(as your name suggests) then you probably don't have the perspective to be able to accurately judge that music anyway.

You really had to be there.

I was there and they are not a good band. You can argue that they sold albums, but so did the like of New Kids on the Block so I'm not sure how that would make them a good band.

Maybe some of their musicians are decent, I don't really know, but they didn't use any of their talents in that band. They are simply a pop band. The first time I saw or heard them was on the Alan Thicke Show and I really thought that it was a joke band. They seemed like a caricature of hair metal bands.

But, if you like their music because you think it's good or because it's nostalgic for you that fine. But you can't really expect other people to not express their opinion that they are just another bad hair metal band.

Bon Jovi was getting radio air play while bands like REM, The Smiths, XTC, The Pixies, Husker Du, etc. struggled to even get albums made. It wasn't until REM singed with Warner Brothers (and they haven't made any really good albums since Document) that any band that's wasn't a pop band or a hair metal band could get any air play. And no air play (or no payola to get air play) meant no album sales in the era before the internet. The only way you could hear any of these bands was to catch them on WTUL/KLSU or stay up late on Sunday night for 120 Minutes. In my mind, Bon Jovi was the symbol of what was wrong with the music industry in the 80's. They made their mark mostly with their videos during a time when your video mattered more than your songs.

They are simply a pop band.

yes sir....in fact, you could say that they are the "nickleback" of their time.....or that nickleback is the "bon jovi" of today.....whichever you prefer

yes sir....in fact, you could say that they are the "nickleback" of their time.....or that nickleback is the "bon jovi" of today.....whichever you prefer

That's really spot on. Much like Nickleback, they took elements from many fairly popular bands and made it even more commercially accessible and in the process they made it generic.

In my mind, Bon Jovi was the symbol of what was wrong with the music industry in the 80's.

Just as well say capitalism is what is wrong with the music industry. Their music appealed to the lowest common denominator, and that's who is buying millions of albums. The record industry doesn't decide what to produce, they let the masses dictate that and make a ton of money in the process.

Just as well say capitalism is what is wrong with the music industry. Their music appealed to the lowest common denominator, and that's who is buying millions of albums. The record industry doesn't decide what to produce, they let the masses dictate that and make a ton of money in the process.

I don't think that's true. The problem is that the music industry controlls the market by using payola and monopolies on radio stations. Both those things are anti-capitalism, or at least anti-free trade.

In a very real way, the music industry controls what people hear and then they buy what they are told to buy. It's about marketing and packaging bands. American Idol as popular as it is as a TV show is really more about pre-packaging "rock stars" for music sales by the music industry. The show makes people think they "made" those "rock stars" so they buy their albums. No matter how bad those albums are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom