Going to the MSY airport after Saints game, how much time do I need to get out of Super Dome (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Saints nation. Super excited to be going to the NFC championship game. But need some help here.

I'm flying in and out on the same day this Sunday. My departure flight is at 7 PM. The game will probably end at 5:20. Now with priority check-in, I think as long as I can get to the airport by 6:30, I should be OK. But still, what's the fastest way to beat the crowd?

Here is my plan. I will rent a car and park at a lot that's easiest to get out. However, I don't know which is the best "exiting route". I'm attaching a spothero parking map here, can anyone tell me which spot is recommended?

I have considered Uber but just not sure how bad it is to find a car after the game. Plus I have a backpack (in case I'm stuck and have to work remotely) so a rental car is much easier.

I certainly don't want to miss a potential 2-minutes drill. So much appreciate your advice!
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 6.55.00 AM.png

[Closing word] I started this thread partly because I couldn't find any useful information outside of this board and I certainly wanted to collect some tips for future fans. That said, I'm still "shocked" by the sheer amount of help I received. Let me summarize how to get out of Superdome quickly:

1. Park west of claiborne on Earhart facing west.
2. Park near Tulane medical center and either go down Tulane or go down Canal.

Both options I think are very viable as long as you can beat the fans.

Last year I was at Minneapolis, thinking it was Bree's last playoff run, it was heart breaking but the guys came back stronger. This year again I'm thinking this might be Bree's last run, but now I'm sure they will come back again! And the Saints fans are the best! Who dat!

Last edited:
Once the game is decided, even if the clock isn't on 00:00, traffic will be bad. If the game runs long, you'll have to leave early. If you get lucky and the game ends on time, you'll make it but it will be close. Wouldn't you hate to miss an OT win?

If you give it a go, park on the WEST side of the dome along Earhart with your car pointing west. That's a straight shot out to connect with airline drive or the interstate after you get away from the dome. At that point, let Google maps keep you out of traffic.

Stay the night. Its going to be a fun night.

I really don't see how you can make it unless you leave a little early.........

Saints nation. Super excited to be going to the NFC championship game. But need some help here.

I'm flying in and out on the same day this Sunday. My departure flight is at 7 PM. The game will probably end at 5:20. Now with priority check-in, I think as long as I can get to the airport by 6:30, I should be OK. But still, what's the fastest way to beat the crowd?

Here is my plan. I will rent a car and park at a lot that's easiest to get out. However, I don't know which is the best "exiting route". I'm attaching a spothero parking map here, can anyone tell me which spot is recommended?

I have considered Uber but just not sure how bad it is to find a car after the game. Plus I have a backpack (in case I'm stuck and have to work remotely) so a rental car is much easier.

I certainly don't want to miss a potential 2-minutes drill. So much appreciate your advice!
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 6.55.00 AM.png

You couldn't get a connection to MSY-> DFW -> ORD?

I know there's always a ORD going out of DFW by no later than 9-10 ish and the flight from MSY to DFW is 1.15hr

You couldn't get a connection to MSY-> DFW -> ORD?

I know there's always a ORD going out of DFW by no later than 9-10 ish and the flight from MSY to DFW is 1.15hr
Exactly what I am doing. Connecting via dfw. But the one out of MSY is 7.

I hate to have to agree with the other comments here, but I know that in some cases it can take near an hour just trying to get onto the expressway. The way the game plays out will have a great deal to do with the actual travel time to MSY. It's likely that you will be on a standby list on Monday morning anyway. You may as well prepare for it now by trying to change your flight and enjoy the night in New Orleans after the game. It may be VERY worth the delay!

I want to say something encouraging, but I’m struggling to see how this works without you missing some of the game. We’re talking about playoff traffic on foot and on wheels.
Let’s see - flying in and out the same day probably means little to zero luggage, I assume, so that’s a plus. Maybe eliminate the rental and Uber to and from the airport. That should save you some time with a rental car check-in. I can’t think of anything else right now outside of a later flight which isn’t an option.

I hate to have to agree with the other comments here, but I know that in some cases it can take near an hour just trying to get onto the expressway. The way the game plays out will have a great deal to do with the actual travel time to MSY. It's likely that you will be on a standby list on Monday morning anyway. You may as well prepare for it now by trying to change your flight and enjoy the night in New Orleans after the game. It may be VERY worth the delay!
Haha tell that to my wife~

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom