Going to the MSY airport after Saints game, how much time do I need to get out of Super Dome (1 Viewer)

haha some of the posts really crack me up. Yeah I have to say I am on a low budget and managed to book my incoming flight at 52 dollars and return using points. If you search now the one way ticket from AA on Monday is whopping 1400 USD! So yeah I may have to miss the last two minutes for sure and dance with the disgrudging TSA workers instead. I will already be grateful if the weather allows me to even fly out and be there.

i don't think this is far-fetched at all (barring overtime or anything like that). the fastest way to get away from the dome post-game is by parking on or near earhart and claiborne, then booking it out and trying to hit the footbridge (across from the SW corner of the dome) before the crowd. i've done less than 15 min from my seat in the dome to my couch that way. i'd recommend taking the earhart route to the airport (earhart to dickory to airline hwy to airport). i'm personally a big fan of the type of thing you're attempting (i pulled off something similar after Saints at 49ers one year-- barely made it) and would happy to provide more detail if you're interested.

You will not make your flight unless you leave early. Even if you had a helicopter, getting from the general aviation to the terminal you’d be late. Start looking for a hotel room at the airport and figure your options for later flights.

haha some of the posts really crack me up. Yeah I have to say I am on a low budget and managed to book my incoming flight at 52 dollars and return using points. If you search now the one way ticket from AA on Monday is whopping 1400 USD! So yeah I may have to miss the last two minutes for sure and dance with the disgrudging TSA workers instead. I will already be grateful if the weather allows me to even fly out and be there.

The airline wouldn't let you push it back a day w/o charging you the full $1400?

Airlines know what is going on in NOLA. They will be sure to make all the cash they can.

I think you can make your flight if you walk/jog at least a mile away from the Dome the instant the game ends and get a ride. Assuming you watch the last second tick off from the concourse at 5:20 PM and you haul your butt west.

Talk to your cab driver from the airport about waiting for you after the game well away from the Dome to whisk you to the airport. Offer to tip him handsomely to do this. At least a Benjamin.

If you absolutely must bring a backpack, PM me. I can solve that problem for you.

Whatever happens, we're all expecting an update by 7pm New Orleans time on whether or not you made your flight and how early you had to leave to do so. :12:

Street parking in the CBD is free on Sundays. I’d recommend getting in early and parking near the interstate. walk to and from the dome. Even if it’s a 20 min walk, you’ll be on the interstate faster than trying to leave the dome parking lot. You’re still probably missing that flight though.

One other point of reference re: how long you can expect the game to last...Saints/Eagles was 3:06. And that was a relatively low-scoring game that featured the Saints going on a monster 11.5 minute drive (minimizing possession changes and TV timeouts).
Whatever happens, we're all expecting an update by 7pm New Orleans time on whether or not you made your flight and how early you had to leave to do so. :12:
yeah definitely will do! i will leave superdome at 5:15 no matter what happens. I think that’s around 3 - 5 mins left.

I’d give myself 24 hours. In fact I am. Well more like 18 but you get my drift. Resechedule whatever is happening Monday

Some of these answers are wrong, I fly to saints games every year (4 games this year alone). You need 20-25minutes to walk to your car, another 10 to the highway, 15 to airport, 15 minutes rental car return(due to the walk). Boom hope that helped.

The only way this happens is if you rent a helicopter and use the helo pad at the dome in my opinion. You can not bring a backpack in the dome, even if its clear, unless its a tiny clear chick thingie.

To OP. I think the game will go longer than 3:15 minutes. I'd say 5:30 or so if it doesn't go into OT. It will take you probably 15 mins to get to your car if you park near the exit ramp near Claiborne Ave.

After the last NFCCG which we won, it was the worst traffic I've ever been in for NOLA. We were literally moving about 100 feet every 5-10 mins. If you need that 7 pm flight its highly unlikely you will make the flight returning a rental car unless you leave the game early. I think your best bet is about a $60-70 taxi ride without the rental car. Good luck.

Have you thought of this for getting your wife to NOLA: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31700049

[Above is totally in jest!!!!]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom