Golf pet peeve...... (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I’m sure I’m alone here with this, but I am a huge fan of all sport, and respect all sports.

Just coming off the golf course today, and thought I’d toss out a HUGE pet peeve of mine.....that seemingly doesn’t bother anyone else.

The “gimme” in golf.

It’s crazy. People set aside 5 hours to playa round with friends, pay the money, have nice clubs, bet money......yet can’t wait to just give people 2-3 foot putts.

Anyone ever stand over a 2 footer with something riding on it? It’s the farthest thing from automatic.

Guys now don’t want to putt it, and will actually ask ...”Is this good?”........hoping you say yes so they can breath easy.

Literally no other sport anywhere has this.

Knock 9 pins down in bowling.
“Can you gimme the spare without me rolling?”

Overhead easy put away slam in tennis......just catch the ball and take the point.

Fly ball to the outfield, camped under it, don’t catch it. Still an out.

It’s a very bizarre “friendly” move that I really can’t imagine in any other sport.

Rant over, I don’t really care, just find it unusual how common it is.

My golf pet peeve is people who talk about golf

jk

but it’s hard to compare golf to other sports bc almost all other sports are direct competitions
in golf you are competing against the course and comparing results (field events in track might be a more apt comparison - but, no, I can’t think of a field event where they spot you 2 inches just because)

anyway, how much did you lose?

I’m sure I’m alone here with this, but I am a huge fan of all sport, and respect all sports.

Just coming off the golf course today, and thought I’d toss out a HUGE pet peeve of mine.....that seemingly doesn’t bother anyone else.

The “gimme” in golf.

It’s crazy. People set aside 5 hours to playa round with friends, pay the money, have nice clubs, bet money......yet can’t wait to just give people 2-3 foot putts.

Anyone ever stand over a 2 footer with something riding on it? It’s the farthest thing from automatic.

Guys now don’t want to putt it, and will actually ask ...”Is this good?”........hoping you say yes so they can breath easy.

Overhead easy put away slam in tennis......just catch the ball and take the point.

It’s a very bizarre “friendly” move that I really can’t imagine in any other sport.

I never pick up my ball, i always putt it in even if i am 3 inches away.

but it never bothers me if anyone else does it

I'm pretty competitive when playing any sport. Not necessarily against others, but myself. I don't like giving myself anything.

I don't like it when others do it, but I don't say anything unless it's a buddy of mine and there's a bet involved. In that case, "you still got work, son". "

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
Michael Jordan with the steal, heading the other way.....and hands it to the ref ...”No need to dunk, I would have made it”

Haha no man, that rule has to be in place.

Can't just let a team roll a triple play by letting the ball fall right at home plate with bases loaded.
So does the gimme, can't let everyone stand around looking at a 2' putt like they are Tiger Woods trying to win the Master in 100 degree heat and a crowded course. lol

The “gimme” in golf.

Golf comes from a different place that those other games. If you're so fortunate as to be on a golf course, in a foursome (or even fewer!) and you find yourself within 24 inches of the hole, often with beer . . . who's really counting at that point?

I never pick up my ball, i always putt it in even if i am 3 inches away.

but it never bothers me if anyone else does it

That's funny. I never pick it up either. I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but I love to putt. It's what I'm best at. I haven't missed a 3' putt in years, but I'd be sooner to pick up after dumping a bunker shot than not putt it out.

I haven't played much at all since the quarantine and the raised cups really got to me. Don't know what to do if I don't hear the sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup.

Each their own,...

It has a long standing place in match play and is considered a sign of sportsmanship (or gamesmanship when refused). It has no place in typical metal play though.

Oh and Judge Smails says “get off his lawn!”

If I'm inside the leather, I've done enough work.

fun evening league play--- gimmees galore, fluff the ball in the fairways, it speeds up play.

sunday money league---everything's putted, stroke and distance on errant shots,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom