Golf pet peeve...... (1 Viewer)

Agree on ball marks.
But guys aren’t giving gimmes to help pace, it’s cause they want the guys to give them back in return....so they don’t yip out any 2 footers.
Yep... I've actually had guys scoop up my missed putt that ends up 2 and 3 feet from the hole, toss it to me and say, "That's a gimme."
Since I realize that they are doing this so that I will reciprocate, I will always ask them to let me putt out next time so that I won't lose my touch on making putts at that length.

Then the anxiety becomes very noticeable when my choice now forces them to stand over their golf ball and try to make their next 3 foot putt. :hihi:

Yep... I've actually had guys scoop up my missed putt that ends up 2 and 3 feet from the hole, toss it to me and say, "That's a gimme."
Since I realize that they are doing this so that I will reciprocate, I will always ask them to let me putt out next time so that I won't lose my touch on making putts at that length.

Then the anxiety becomes very noticeable when my choice now forces them to stand over their golf ball and try to make their next 3 foot putt. :hihi:

Exactamundo

I laugh at the double bogey 6 foot gimme. Guy trying to salvage a bogey on a 10 foot putt. Jams it passed by 6 feet. Out of pity he gets the 6 foot gimme.

I love laughing at golfers who spiral out of control. It’s hysterical. I terrible banana hook off the tee - I’m rolling over laughing. A chunk pitching wedge in the pond - I’m dying. I hit lots of bad shots and bad golf is really really funny.

I laugh at the double bogey 6 foot gimme. Guy trying to salvage a bogey on a 10 foot putt. Jams it passed by 6 feet. Out of pity he gets the 6 foot gimme.

I love laughing at golfers who spiral out of control. It’s hysterical. I terrible banana hook off the tee - I’m rolling over laughing. A chunk pitching wedge in the pond - I’m dying. I hit lots of bad shots and bad golf is really really funny.
Same here. I don't get how people get mad doing something that is supposed to be enjoyable. I am going there to try to play well, but if i don't, so what? Just laugh and enjoy it

Same here. I don't get how people get mad doing something that is supposed to be enjoyable. I am going there to try to play well, but if i don't, so what? Just laugh and enjoy it

I get mad when I don't play well. I don't throw clubs, but it does tick me off when I miss a perfect sand wedge. I was one who started playing late and loved that I was competing against myself and I could practice and play alone if I wanted to. The hours at the range and walking the course allowed me to become competent quickly and even fairly good over a pretty short time. But once the plateau of easy improvement gave way to being too busy to dedicate the time to working towards scratch, I found myself less upset when I missed a shot.

Now, I ride in the cart and play with my kid or friends who are now too old to play the way they played with me when I was learning 25 years ago. And, I'm too old to play the way I did 20 years ago. Still, when I miss that perfect sand wedge which is now 105 instead of 116, it ticks me off, but nothing like coming up short when I forget that I don't play the distance I used to. Hell, I can't come to terms with it, but I've also been playing so little that I know my swing isn't practiced and that some modern clubs might help.

One of these days........

I get mad when I don't play well. I don't throw clubs, but it does tick me off when I miss a perfect sand wedge. I was one who started playing late and loved that I was competing against myself and I could practice and play alone if I wanted to. The hours at the range and walking the course allowed me to become competent quickly and even fairly good over a pretty short time. But once the plateau of easy improvement gave way to being too busy to dedicate the time to working towards scratch, I found myself less upset when I missed a shot.

Now, I ride in the cart and play with my kid or friends who are now too old to play the way they played with me when I was learning 25 years ago. And, I'm too old to play the way I did 20 years ago. Still, when I miss that perfect sand wedge which is now 105 instead of 116, it ticks me off, but nothing like coming up short when I forget that I don't play the distance I used to. Hell, I can't come to terms with it, but I've also been playing so little that I know my swing isn't practiced and that some modern clubs might help.

One of these days........
I shot an 82 today. Ordinarily I would be pretty satisfied with that score. But it's hard not to think back at the THREE putts that stopped just short of the hole, less than a quarter inch from falling in. And the two others that turned just under the hole where just a bit firmer stroke of the putter would have finished the hole with a par.

It's hard to come so close to breaking 80 and not get frustrated at the ones that got away. :banghead:

I shot an 82 today. Ordinarily I would be pretty satisfied with that score. But it's hard not to think back at the THREE putts that stopped just short of the hole, less than a quarter inch from falling in. And the two others that turned just under the hole where just a bit firmer stroke of the putter would have finished the hole with a par.

It's hard to come so close to breaking 80 and not get frustrated at the ones that got away. :banghead:
I still have my “78” ball on my wall. I was completely hammered. I remember a difficult shot on number 17. Par 5, crappy hole design where the fairway splits in two. Also a weird dogleg left, then dog leg right.

I hit a below average drive. I had a small window of space and a 180 yard carry to avoid disaster.

Chugged the rest of my beer and hit the sweetest 6 iron of my life. Made par. I knew after that 6 iron shot I did it.

On the 18th I could double and still get a 79. 7-iron, 7-iron, pitch, two-putt bogey. 78.

Happened in 2013 and is the last time I shot in the 70s.

I still have my “78” ball on my wall. I was completely hammered. I remember a difficult shot on number 17. Par 5, crappy hole design where the fairway splits in two. Also a weird dogleg left, then dog leg right.

I hit a below average drive. I had a small window of space and a 180 yard carry to avoid disaster.

Chugged the rest of my beer and hit the sweetest 6 iron of my life. Made par. I knew after that 6 iron shot I did it.

On the 18th I could double and still get a 79. 7-iron, 7-iron, pitch, two-putt bogey. 78.

Happened in 2013 and is the last time I shot in the 70s.
There was a time when I was shooting rounds in the 70s around 50% of the time.
These days I get pretty excited about pulling off that feat. The funny thing is that I don't seem to be playing all that much better during my recent 70-something scores. It just seems that some days the chipping & putting just happens effortlessly and I get every break. But other times I feel like even great shots end up in bad places.

About two weeks ago I shot a 79. But I was very aggravated about it because with three holes to go I was on pace to shoot a 75. I went 4 over in the last three holes just because I had some terrible lies after almost every shot down that stretch. I realize that in golf those are the breaks. But I wish it wouldn't happen at the very end of an otherwise great round. I have so many poor rounds where those extra four strokes wouldn't have bothered me one bit. :covri:

There was a time when I was shooting rounds in the 70s around 50% of the time.
These days I get pretty excited about pulling off that feat. The funny thing is that I don't seem to be playing all that much better during my recent 70-something scores. It just seems that some days the chipping & putting just happens effortlessly and I get every break. But other times I feel like even great shots end up in bad places.

About two weeks ago I shot a 79. But I was very aggravated about it because with three holes to go I was on pace to shoot a 75. I went 4 over in the last three holes just because I had some terrible lies after almost every shot down that stretch. I realize that in golf those are the breaks. But I wish it wouldn't happen at the very end of an otherwise great round. I have so many poor rounds where those extra four strokes wouldn't have bothered me one bit. :covri:
Breaks ARE huge. Picking the right holes to miss a drive, going effortlessly through a tree, the ball stopping mere feet from a hazard.

The best round of my life I was +3 after two holes and finished with a 1 over 72. I had given up any hope of shooting in the 70s. All off a sudden a strung together a bunch of pars and a couple of birdies on the reachable par 5’s. I’ve never shot under par. Not sure I ever will.

Breaks ARE huge. Picking the right holes to miss a drive, going effortlessly through a tree, the ball stopping mere feet from a hazard.

The best round of my life I was +3 after two holes and finished with a 1 over 72. I had given up any hope of shooting in the 70s. All off a sudden a strung together a bunch of pars and a couple of birdies on the reachable par 5’s. I’ve never shot under par. Not sure I ever will.
Those are the days that golf pays you back for all the suffering you endure in all the other rounds you've played. My best round ever was a 2-over, 74. But as happy & proud as I was with that score, I still couldn't get over the half dozen (or so) shots that could have gone my way and allow me to break par on that day. It's nuts!

Golf is an evil game in which a player can never be completely satisfied no matter how wonderful the round turned out. You always wish it would have been better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom