Golf pet peeve...... (1 Viewer)

I can attest to the fact that bclemms can pound that rock! My role in any scramble has always been to bring my short game. I can usually score well from inside of 120 yards or so. Sometimes it shows up, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I have to hope my putting game is working or else I just become a typical 'D' player. :mecry:

My role in any scramble is to keep the beer cold and flowing, and maybe get one or two lucky shots.

By rule, golf is intended to be a game that is self-officiated. It's said to be a game that builds integrity. You may have even seen occasions where pro golfers will call a penalty on themselves because they inadvertently broke one of the rules of the game. These penalties can range from having strokes added to your score to complete disqualification. When the pros publicly 'flag' themselves, they are generally praised by golf fans for doing so. When a player seems to be subverting a rule for his benefit, he tends to get hammered on social media and generally gets labelled as a cheater.

Sadly the majority of the amateur golfers do not want to be held to the same standard as the pros and there has even been a push to have the USGA set up a different set of rules for amateurs. Frankly this seems to be a lot like the 'everybody gets a gold star' mentality. I think the standard should be the same for everyone. That's the only way for sure to know where you rank as a golfer. I recognize that I will never be as physically capable as I once was at the game, and I expect that decline to show in my handicap index. But I still have fun trying to reach the standard as it has always been for everyone who has ever played the game.

Frankly, I don't care how anyone else chooses to play the game. If they have fun playing the game by their own set of rules, it won't change how I feel about the game, nor will I adjust the standard by which I play just to be able to keep up with others. I only have my past scores and the golf course to beat. And these days both have been whipping me like a rented mule. But at least I know where I actually stand in this frustrating game and I still enjoy the challenge just the way that it is.

I'm in about the same boat. Golf is a game with rules. If you don't play by the rules then you're not playing the same game I am. So, when I shoot 80 and someone who gives themselves putts and mulligans shoots 80 those scores are different. As far as age and ability goes, at least golf has various tees so anyone can play.

Drive for show, putt for dough.
Putt up or shut up.
Gotta earn it with me unless it's a tap in.
Even though some miss those when mentally frazzled. If it's good money, ur putting till it goes in the hole.

Good Lord, you guys golf with some pansies. This isn't a real thing right? Are you kidding me? I've never and have never golfed with anyone who has done this.

Good Lord, you guys golf with some pansies. This isn't a real thing right? Are you kidding me? I've never and have never golfed with anyone who has done this.
I wish that everyone played by the rules.
I get the feeling that I'd win a lot more often.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
Drive for show, putt for dough.
Putt up or shut up.
Gotta earn it with me unless it's a tap in.
Even though some miss those when mentally frazzled. If it's good money, ur putting till it goes in the hole.
If it is for money or a tourney thats completely different.

I’m sure I’m alone here with this, but I am a huge fan of all sport, and respect all sports.

Just coming off the golf course today, and thought I’d toss out a HUGE pet peeve of mine.....that seemingly doesn’t bother anyone else.

The “gimme” in golf.

It’s crazy. People set aside 5 hours to playa round with friends, pay the money, have nice clubs, bet money......yet can’t wait to just give people 2-3 foot putts.

Anyone ever stand over a 2 footer with something riding on it? It’s the farthest thing from automatic.

Guys now don’t want to putt it, and will actually ask ...”Is this good?”........hoping you say yes so they can breath easy.

Literally no other sport anywhere has this.

Knock 9 pins down in bowling.
“Can you gimme the spare without me rolling?”

Overhead easy put away slam in tennis......just catch the ball and take the point.

Fly ball to the outfield, camped under it, don’t catch it. Still an out.

It’s a very bizarre “friendly” move that I really can’t imagine in any other sport.

Rant over, I don’t really care, just find it unusual how common it is.
Typically any putt within 1 foot of the hole is a GIMME, not 2 feet. Especially with non professionals. I would say, if your buddies were allowing or accepting gimmes on 2 footers, what in life would they consider; a GIMME? 😂

Yeah, this is why it needs to stay a thing. Public/city courses are already filled with too many people who go full on Sergio Garcia with their practice swings, setup, and address taking two full minutes, then donk the ball 80 yards forward and 120 yards to the right.

To Outbackjack's point, though, those 2-3 footers that are easy if you're playing beer golf tighten you up if there's money involved. Once I was playing a game called "Ride the Snake" (I think?) with some guys. Whoever had the last three putt is holding the snake or whatever, and each time someone new 3 putts, the payout doubles. So first three putt = $1, next one $2, $4, $8, $16, etc. The person who has the snake at the end of the round pays the other three guys that amount.

It was up to $128 (so almost $400 on the line), one of the other guys was on the hook, and I had the last putt of the round, a three-foot par putt on 18. I walked up with trembling hands and hit a disaster of a 30 inch putt that toilet bowled around snuck in the back of the cup. Whew.
Chump change in golf!

I wish that everyone played by the rules.
I get the feeling that I'd win a lot more often.

I always keep my score and my playing partner. Even in 4somes. The guys I usually play with at my club are pretty straight up even if they pick up short putts, but in general population, it's often astounding when people later discuss their scores.

"I made par on 12" is sometimes followed with me saying, "but you hit your T-shot OB" so that's a 6." People lie to themselves so often in golf it's astounding to think they'd think they're a 12 handicap and couldn't break 90 playing down and putting out.

I always keep my score and my playing partner. Even in 4somes. The guys I usually play with at my club are pretty straight up even if they pick up short putts, but in general population, it's often astounding when people later discuss their scores.

"I made par on 12" is sometimes followed with me saying, "but you hit your T-shot OB" so that's a 6." People lie to themselves so often in golf it's astounding to think they'd think they're a 12 handicap and couldn't break 90 playing down and putting out.
I know exactly what you mean.
There are some guys I know who always score well simply because they only count the shots they really like. :hihi:

I know exactly what you mean.
There are some guys I know who always score well simply because they only count the shots they really like. :hihi:

SO TRUE!!!!!

And as far as the 1 foot gimme???

Even the 1/2 inch gimme????

Even if there is a 100% chance you will make it....the ball is teetering in the edge of the cup....putt it in. It finishes the hole.

Theres no sport, even the recreational drinking sports, that you don’t FINISH the score, the game.....tennis, horseshoes, darts, billiards, cornhole.....it’s always finished.

But golf.....???

I like the gimme. Helps the pace of play.

My pet peeve are the guys who don’t fix ball marks.

I like the gimme. Helps the pace of play.

My pet peeve are the guys who don’t fix ball marks.

Agree on ball marks.
But guys aren’t giving gimmes to help pace, it’s cause they want the guys to give them back in return....so they don’t yip out any 2 footers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom