Gone With The Wind Temporally Removed From HBO MAX (Or How To Look Back On Controversial Media) (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Before anyone says it’s oversensitivity, the full movie will return unedited. It’ll just include a discussion about the stereotypes and probably a warning.

WB did something similar when they released the Looney Tunes to DVD unedited.

James Spader

Veteran Starter
Reaction score

Before anyone says it’s oversensitivity, the full movie will return unedited. It’ll just include a discussion about the stereotypes and probably a warning.

WB did something similar when they released the Looney Tunes to DVD unedited.
Oh my.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Never seen it and don't have a WSJ subscription. What's controversial about it?

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
Never seen it and don't have a WSJ subscription. What's controversial about it?
Are you asking what is controversial about removing a movie that is generally considered one of the greatest of all time or asking what subject matter in the movie is controversial?

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Are you asking what is controversial about removing a movie that is generally considered one of the greatest of all time or asking what subject matter in the movie is controversial?
The subject matter.

AARPSaint

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mixed feelings. I never DVR it because I've seen it so many times. Also, I really don't want to see the ending with the little girl. It's interesting that folks haven't seen it because it is considered such a classic.

It's probably almost completely misleading in regard to master/slave relationships. The accounts written by slaves are most likely more realistic. No doubt there were situations like in GWTW where the slaves were well treated, as well treated as could be under the awful and inhumane circumstances. I think DeToqueville foresaw that enslavement would eventually haunt the US. Goodness, he was right about that.

Ironically, Hattie McDaniel won an Oscar for her brilliant performance in the movie.

On one hand, it's considered a classic. On the other hand, it implies that slaves were well treated, which is obviously ********. Are we going overboard with sanitizing our heritage? I don't know, but films like this that portray master/slave relationships as somehow benign ignore the whole odious process of enslavement, the trafficking of actual human beings. Maybe it's time we turned the page on GWTW.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom