Gone With The Wind Temporally Removed From HBO MAX (Or How To Look Back On Controversial Media) (4 Viewers)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post

Before anyone says it’s oversensitivity, the full movie will return unedited. It’ll just include a discussion about the stereotypes and probably a warning.

WB did something similar when they released the Looney Tunes to DVD unedited.

Reaction score
prince/pauper
life on the mississippi
connecticut yankee
huck and tom of course
many essays
thanks for the books on tape recommend
Ahhhhh....I love you!! One of my absolute favorites is something something pudd'nhead wilson. That isn't the proper title...

AARPSaint

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Blazing Saddles is an interesting case. It shows how stupid racism and prejudice are, "You know.....morons." By the way, Wilder ad libbed that line, which cracked Cleavon Little up.

When you take the n - word out, it can eviscerate the humor. The guy who played Lyle felt very uncomfortable saying it, but Cleavon Little said to go ahead because it was all in fun.

That's part of the problem. No white person should ever use the n - word in my view, with the possible exceptions of clowning or quoting, but you can self-censor when you are quoting. Humor takes place in the moment, so censoring can ruin the effect. In the case of Blazing Saddles, taking out the n-word diminishes the humor almost beyond recognition.

Look at the scene where Gabby on the roof keeps saying, "The new sheriff is a n" and the bell goes off, thereby censoring itself. When we lose the ability to laugh at ourselves--in this case, the utter stupidity of racism--we lose a vital part of perspective.

I knew someone for whom Archie Bunker was a hero. :covri: When you can't understand that racism is stupid, and that stupidity deserves ridicule, you are seriously warped.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Blazing Saddles is an interesting case. It shows how stupid racism and prejudice are, "You know.....morons." By the way, Wilder ad libbed that line, which cracked Cleavon Little up.

When you take the n - word out, it can eviscerate the humor. The guy who played Lyle felt very uncomfortable saying it, but Cleavon Little said to go ahead because it was all in fun.

That's part of the problem. No white person should ever use the n - word in my view, with the possible exceptions of clowning or quoting, but you can self-censor when you are quoting. Humor takes place in the moment, so censoring can ruin the effect. In the case of Blazing Saddles, taking out the n-word diminishes the humor almost beyond recognition.

Look at the scene where Gabby on the roof keeps saying, "The new sheriff is a n" and the bell goes off, thereby censoring itself. When we lose the ability to laugh at ourselves--in this case, the utter stupidity of racism--we lose a vital part of perspective.

I knew someone for whom Archie Bunker was a hero. :covri: When you can't understand that racism is stupid, and that stupidity deserves ridicule, you are seriously warped.
i find the gay stuff way more problematic than the n word stuff
esp since richard pryor helped write

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah, I've never used the n-word in any context. It was a word that I was taught to be a complete no-no when I was a kid and never used it.

But, even after teaching my kids how awful the word is, one of my daughters and her best friend always calls each other my n---a. Even though I realize a lot of kids do that, it still makes me cringe. She knows how I feel about it, but she gonna do what she's gonna do.

James Spader

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've never used the n-word in any context. It was a word that I was taught to be a complete no-no when I was a kid and never used it.

But, even after teaching my kids how awful the word is, one of my daughters and her best friend always calls each other my n---a. Even though I realize a lot of kids do that, it still makes me cringe. She knows how I feel about it, but she gonna do what she's gonna do.
Hard to get away from the word when many many people use the “ga” version to include music and blacks using it against each other.

saintfan1972

Full Time Fan
Reaction score
If someone doesnt like a show just dont watch it. Easy to change a channel. I've started Blazing Saddles but never finished it because it just wasnt my type of show. Nowadays if someone has a problem with a show then let's get rid of it. How about let's just shut all TV down. No more news. That would definitely be good. Just shut it all down. Then we wont have to watch the hatred from all sides.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom