Gone With The Wind Temporally Removed From HBO MAX (Or How To Look Back On Controversial Media) (2 Viewers)

Blazing Saddles is an interesting case. It shows how stupid racism and prejudice are, "You know.....morons." By the way, Wilder ad libbed that line, which cracked Cleavon Little up.

When you take the n - word out, it can eviscerate the humor. The guy who played Lyle felt very uncomfortable saying it, but Cleavon Little said to go ahead because it was all in fun.

That's part of the problem. No white person should ever use the n - word in my view, with the possible exceptions of clowning or quoting, but you can self-censor when you are quoting. Humor takes place in the moment, so censoring can ruin the effect. In the case of Blazing Saddles, taking out the n-word diminishes the humor almost beyond recognition.

Look at the scene where Gabby on the roof keeps saying, "The new sheriff is a n" and the bell goes off, thereby censoring itself. When we lose the ability to laugh at ourselves--in this case, the utter stupidity of racism--we lose a vital part of perspective.

I knew someone for whom Archie Bunker was a hero. :covri: When you can't understand that racism is stupid, and that stupidity deserves ridicule, you are seriously warped.

Yeah, I've never used the n-word in any context. It was a word that I was taught to be a complete no-no when I was a kid and never used it.

But, even after teaching my kids how awful the word is, one of my daughters and her best friend always calls each other my n---a. Even though I realize a lot of kids do that, it still makes me cringe. She knows how I feel about it, but she gonna do what she's gonna do.

Yeah, I've never used the n-word in any context. It was a word that I was taught to be a complete no-no when I was a kid and never used it.

But, even after teaching my kids how awful the word is, one of my daughters and her best friend always calls each other my n---a. Even though I realize a lot of kids do that, it still makes me cringe. She knows how I feel about it, but she gonna do what she's gonna do.
Hard to get away from the word when many many people use the “ga” version to include music and blacks using it against each other.

If someone doesnt like a show just dont watch it. Easy to change a channel. I've started Blazing Saddles but never finished it because it just wasnt my type of show. Nowadays if someone has a problem with a show then let's get rid of it. How about let's just shut all TV down. No more news. That would definitely be good. Just shut it all down. Then we wont have to watch the hatred from all sides.

If someone doesnt like a show just dont watch it. Easy to change a channel. I've started Blazing Saddles but never finished it because it just wasnt my type of show. Nowadays if someone has a problem with a show then let's get rid of it. How about let's just shut all TV down. No more news. That would definitely be good. Just shut it all down. Then we wont have to watch the hatred from all sides.
This is the “appeal to extremes” logical fallacy

Somebody will find something wrong with everything. Dont like what you watching change the channel

unfortunately, other than gone with wind bs, i've laughed my arse at most shows listed.

thankfully it was laughing at the shows, not at the racism. this thread has made me realize
i was laughing at racism. though, my best friends are white and black. it was never intentional.

i sound like an idiot having to state that. very generic. honestly, it is true. my neighbour was obviously sceptical at first having my bff and his friend stay at my house for weeks.

fork the racial bias bs.

musicals still suck balls.

they would be at my house now, but i'm on a weed break until my new job.

I'm just thinking about where guys like Richard Pryor, Robin Williams and Eddie Murphy fit into all of this. They were all amazingly funny back in the day, but a lot of those jokes, they wouldn't fly today, and they might even get run off the stage. Well, maybe not, but people are weird. They say, not funny, but bust a gut when a comedian says it.

I've seen Dukes of Hazzard mentioned because of the car. My favorite show of all time. My black friends like the show. Least racist show there is. Dont get it. Thankfully I have all 7 seasons on dvd so I can watch it any time. Plus my General Lee die cast. Can't take everything

I've seen Dukes of Hazzard mentioned because of the car. My favorite show of all time. My black friends like the show. Least racist show there is. Dont get it. Thankfully I have all 7 seasons on dvd so I can watch it any time. Plus my General Lee die cast. Can't take everything

I loved the show, but, the Confederate flag/General Lee is racist enough on it's own. I don't remember anything racist about the show itself outside the car.

I never thought much about the car myself until much later when I started to understand the visceral reaction most black people would have when seeing a Confederate flag. I get it and tbh, if getting rid of the Dukes on TV helps, works for me. I'm not going to miss it.

We will just agree to disagree. Like I said nobody can take it from me

I'm just thinking about where guys like Richard Pryor, Robin Williams and Eddie Murphy fit into all of this. They were all amazingly funny back in the day, but a lot of those jokes, they wouldn't fly today, and they might even get run off the stage. Well, maybe not, but people are weird. They say, not funny, but bust a gut when a comedian says it.
this is odd
all comedians are product of their times
if George Carlin got transported to this time and did a whole set about Spiro Agnew, it probably would not play well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom