Gone With The Wind Temporally Removed From HBO MAX (Or How To Look Back On Controversial Media) (2 Viewers)

In the grand scheme none of us matter. But should we even care? And is it enough to just care? Or do our actions matter? If we were all trying to explain things to our young teenagers, what is the “right” answer?
Well obviously I know woody Allen or Mel Gibson are aware of my (in)actions, so it’s something I do for/to myself

I came if age in a performing arts world where the old school abusive teachers/artists were finally being called to task
What you taught/created was soon evaluated with how you taught/created it
Is any dance worth being abused into an eating disorder?
Is any play/movie with sexual assault?
Probably not

Most of us listen to music from some pretty heinous people - Bowie, Mick, Page, Elvis, etc... For some reason, rock stars get a pass that other types of media don't.

Painters, sculptors, writers, composers pretty much all get a pass if their art is great.

And you dont seem to see the inherent contradictions if not borderline hypocrisy in this, gavin. I mean, most of us admire or revere John Lennon as a legendary musician, artist, fervent activist for peace and disarmament in his lifetime but the mainstream media, especially the rock press, (Rolling Stone, that means you), seem to ignore the facts that he was selfish, self-centered, egotistical, at times chauvinistic butt crevasse who treated his first son, Julian like crap while his second son, Sean, was lavished upon like royalty. Even his own two sons, have admitted their father's failings. Sean Lennon even admitted his father was a egotistical, self-centered pig in an interview back in the late 90s. Lennon was once arrested in L.A. during his "Lost Weekend" phase in 1973 for drunk and disorderly conduct.

But even with those character flaws, Lennon's behavior and actions make him a choir boy compared to fellow rock stars, writers and later on like Mick Jagger, Ezra Pound(who made infamous, vehement antisemitic propaganda radio speeches during WWII), Michael Jackson(let's include him, too), Vince Neil of Motley Crue( who was so drunk one night in 1983 he went driving to get more booze on Sunset Strip he got into a nasty wreck and killed Hanoi Rocks guitarist) Neil got off easy compared to 95% rest of the population, no 10-20 year prison sentence at San Quentin for him. Oh and BTW, that incident irrevocably soured the relationship in band between Neil and Nikki Sixx or Tommy Lee--they never really forgave him for that. H.G. Wells was accused of plagiarism by Conrad for basing his novel Island of Dr. Moreau off Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

The dang movie was written by Richard Pryor. I always thought it was to show how racists look like bumbling idiots.

A couple episodes of the Muppet Show not on Disney+, other episodes have a disclaimer

This isn't new for them, Disney has done this for at least 15 years with the disclaimers on some of the cartoons on the Walt Disney Treasures DVD sets

There's not a disclaimer out there that will allow the Song of the South to see the light of day again
==================================
Jim Henson’s classic series “The Muppet Show” began streaming on Disney+ on Friday, but now comes prefaced with an offensive content disclaimer.

“This program includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures,” the warning reads. “These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now. Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversations to create a more inclusive future together.”

The show, which ran for five seasons between 1976 and 1981, features the new content warning on 18 episodes, including those guest-hosted by Steve Martin, Peter Sellers, Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash, Debbie Harry and Marty Feldman, among others.

Each episode bears the 12-second disclaimer for a different reason, from Cash’s appearance singing in front of a Confederate flag to negative depictions of Native Americans, Middle Easterners and people from other cultures. Additionally, two episodes from the final season, featuring guest stars Brooke Shields and staff writer Chris Langham, are left out entirely...................

'Muppet Show' now has content disclaimer warning on Disney+ - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

I am late to this but I have never seen it. I don't understand all the cancel stuff. If I find something offensive I don't watch it.

it's the opposite, it's a world opened up to allow others fair(er) access
Well, that's wrong. No one's seeing an "alternate" non-offensive version. Warnings aren't more restrictive, but taking movies down entirely is and isn't providing anyone any access.

I am late to this but I have never seen it. I don't understand all the cancel stuff. If I find something offensive I don't watch it.
but it's not your (mine) perspective that needs to be included
all media has always been for us (white men), these are attempts to address the concern that we used others as the butt of our amusement (if you were Chinese, do you really think you would be cool with Mickey Rooney's caricature in Breakfast at Tiffany's?)

Yeah I don't get what the problem is here. It's just like at the beginning of a movie on HBO or Showtime when they tell you if the movie has nudity, strong sexual content or language. It's just helping the viewer be more informed on what they are getting ready to watch. I

This instance is the opposite of "cancel culture" they are literally offering The Muppet Show (which was unavailable before this) to 95million of their subscribers. but slapping an advisory in the beginning

Hey look, A 51 year old guy can determine what is offensive to him in a children's show. I don't know why he thinks this is helpful for children but, good for you Semper. Good for you.

but it's not your (mine) perspective that needs to be included
all media has always been for us (white men), these are attempts to address the concern that we used others as the butt of our amusement (if you were Chinese, do you really think you would be cool with Mickey Rooney's caricature in Breakfast at Tiffany's?)

I've read enough on SR and seen enough on Fox News to know that old white guys do NOT like being made fun off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom