Gonzales to be a Free Agent (1 Viewer)

CajunSaint

Hall of Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jay Glayzer just reported on the fox pre-game show that Tony Gonzales has voided his option for next season making him a free agent.

A lil old, but how about the thought of the Saints going after him in the offseason?! Wow, that would be a heck of pick up if they did and he is a Sean Payton type of player. Anyway, lil ahead of myself here, but I thought i would throw it out there anyway.

i would deff go after him in FA....man that would complete our offense.

if not then go after Daniel Graham who could come cheaper and is a pretty good player.

he would be a big pick up for us at TE

Resign Faine, Hollis, Grant, Stinchcomb THEN go after Tony Gonzales. Of those four, I think Grant will be the only one whom we will have to pay big bicks to keep. Faine won't be cheap, but I see that deal being prioroty one as far as resigning our own FAs. I'd resign Mark S., which I think can be done for a resonable price, and then try to draft a true MLB in the early rounds.

Wait to draft a blocking TE in the middle rounds of the draft.

Any takers on this plan?

Last edited:
He will probably be too expensive, so no. We don't need a high-profile TE. I would rather we spend cap room on getting Grant resigned and making a play for Clements.

I didn't think Faine was a free agent this offseason. Is he?

No we got him from the Browns when we traded down a few picks in the second round of the draft. He will be a FA after the end of this year when his rookie contract is up, just like Grant.

He will probably be too expensive, so no. We don't need a high-profile TE. I would rather we spend cap room on getting Grant resigned and making a play for Clements.

I think you're right about Tong G., but it would be nice to have another playmaker!

Who's Clements?

Probably a dumb question . . .

I would not overspend on Grant. He has been inconsistant, and has had problems keeping his weight down enough to stay effective. He wants to be a top paid defensive end, but has not performed as one save for his rookie season. How much of this year's effort can be contributed to it being a contract year, I don't know, but either way, I would not pay too much to keep him. As far as cap space goes, the cap will increase by almost 7 million next year after going up about 10 million this year. We have plenty of cap room and it would not hurt at all to spend on Tony G or Donnie Edwards or both.

I would not overspend on Grant. He has been inconsistant, and has had problems keeping his weight down enough to stay effective. He wants to be a top paid defensive end, but has not performed as one save for his rookie season. How much of this year's effort can be contributed to it being a contract year, I don't know, but either way, I would not pay too much to keep him. As far as cap space goes, the cap will increase by almost 7 million next year after going up about 10 million this year. We have plenty of cap room and it would not hurt at all to spend on Tony G or Donnie Edwards or both.

All those problems occured during the Haslett era. The fact that he survived Payton's boot camp and came out a starter when it was obvious that Payton was not giving any veteran the benefit of the doubt, cutting/trading people he knew were going to be a "problem"(Gandy, Stallworth, Smith, Sullivan), and Ninkovich looked like a legit contender for his position leads me to bellieve that he is the real deal. Especially since Grant was in the last year of his contract, they could have just let him go or traded him if they felt he was a slouch.

I know the cap increaeses alot next year but look at how much money we have tied up on offense. We do need to address the TE position but not with someone like Gonzales. We cannot give him enough balls to make it worth it with Bush, McAllister, Horn, Colston all on the field. We need a situational red zone type guy who is solid, but not necessarily a superstar. Unless he is a late draft pick like Colston and suprises everyone.

We'll have to see how the rest of the season goes, but I don't agree that Grant hasn't performed at a high level. He does not have the sack numbers but has applied persistet pressure to the QB. Since he plays right side and most QBs are right handed, they toss the ball away before he can get to him. He has also forced two fumbles in the opponents end which were game changers in close games.

campbell showed us today that we need a new TE. very sorry performace by him above all others...and that says a lot :hihi:

I say no to this... I think we need to go after Nate Clements CB for the Bills.

We need to get the two best corners money can buy and move mcknzie to safety.

our offense is good and will only get better aws Bush and Colston mature.

Can you picture this offense with Gonzales at TE...Horn and Colston at receiver.....reggie...deuce...brees....that would be nice....I would make a run at him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom