Good article on Book not starting (Duncan) (1 Viewer)

Very true. I remember watching that playoff game with RG3. When it was obvious that the guy was severely injured, they threw him back in there, only to see his leg buckle on its own. That was brutal to see.
Man, that game P'Oed me off so much. That game totally ruined his career. I wish he could've sued Shanahan and Snyder for that.

Definitely. I don’t know how they thought it was a good idea?!?! I get that it’s a playoff game, but that guy was so visibly injured.
He wanted to be known as a warrior. :D

Didn't Russell Wilson win in his rookie season?
Yes, behind one of the best defenses in the last 20 years and pounding the ball with Lynch while occassionally letting RW run around and make a play.

You don't put a young player behind a backup offensive line surrounded by a complete void of talent. It never ends well. Like never, ever, ever. Might as well save everyone the trouble and release Book now so he can move on with his career after football.

Funny part is thinking it is fair to Taysom to evaluate his future at QB. The QB for the rest of the year is basically a crash test dummy.

Yes, behind one of the best defenses in the last 20 years and pounding the ball with Lynch while occassionally letting RW run around and make a play.

You don't put a young player behind a backup offensive line surrounded by a complete void of talent. It never ends well. Like never, ever, ever. Might as well save everyone the trouble and release Book now so he can move on with his career after football.

Funny part is thinking it is fair to Taysom to evaluate his future at QB. The QB for the rest of the year is basically a crash test dummy.
Yeah that is true. Similar to what Mac Jones has around him in NE right now.

I think Payton see's the same potential in Book its not hard to piece together . Coach would not waste a roster spot unless he was sold on him , these injuries kind of prove that when roster spots are at a premium for us . Payton had Vinny Testaverde in 04 and Drew Bledsoe in 05 to sit Romo . As soon as Bledsoe showed decline in 06 but was not playing bad , Parcells made the switch to Romo . That was probably the plan and may still be . I see Taysoms contract as a sign of that being the plan , you sign him to that if he is the stop gap too Book . Weather this year or next . I could see Book playing at some point this year but either way it seems like it could be him and Taysom competing in Camp next year to start . Again I dont think coach Payton uses the roster spot in a season like this with half the team on IR to protect a potential back up QB . They see something no doubt
Agreed. I keep seeing people say that Book is nothing more than a Chase Daniel. Maybe that will prove to be true, but I think Payton sees his ceiling as being higher than that. You don't go through the extra length to play keep-away from the rest of the league because you think that you have the next Chase Daniel on your hands. And the last time Payton saw enough promise in a rookie to go an extra mile and play keep-away with him, we ended up with the wonder that is Blake Gillikin. That offers no guarantee to what Book will become though.

Payton has a history of bringing along rookies a bit slowly if he can afford it. Sure, sometimes due to need or the particular position, he has to do more of a baptism by fire. But do you remember what he said about Jimmy Graham during his rookie year? "The only thing holding back Jimmy Graham is me." I'm curious to see what Book can do, but if Payton has a slower plan to bring out the best in Book, than okay. He didn't bring along Jameis as quickly as some fans would have liked either.

Agreed. I keep seeing people say that Book is nothing more than a Chase Daniel. Maybe that will prove to be true, but I think Payton sees his ceiling as being higher than that. You don't go through the extra length to play keep-away from the rest of the league because you think that you have the next Chase Daniel on your hands. And the last time Payton saw enough promise in a rookie to go an extra mile and play keep-away with him, we ended up with the wonder that is Blake Gillikin. That offers no guarantee to what Book will become though.

Payton has a history of bringing along rookies a bit slowly if he can afford it. Sure, sometimes due to need or the particular position, he has to do more of a baptism by fire. But do you remember what he said about Jimmy Graham during his rookie year? "The only thing holding back Jimmy Graham is me." I'm curious to see what Book can do, but if Payton has a slower plan to bring out the best in Book, than okay. He didn't bring along Jameis as quickly as some fans would have liked either.
Yea it just isn't logical for us to as you say " play keep away from the rest of the league " if we dont have a vision of him as a starter . If it was a normal year as far a injuries go you can have that luxury and we dont have that luxury this season , unless they truly think we might have " our guy "

Right, but its not like Taysom is playing in a vacuum. Siemien and Winston both played on the same team this year (granted Winston had more talent around him at the time.) Plus he had four starts in 2020.

I don't blame him for the Cowboys loss, especially after the finger thing, but you can still look at the game objectively and see what his individual strengths and weaknesses are.

So basically they feel Book is our QB of the future. OK cool. While Book may look great in practice and in the film room they don't know how he'll look in "live action". I totally understand them not wanting to kill the kid's confidence playing behind a bad oline and no threats at receiver, but they'll need to let him play sooner or later or else we'll go into next year with a huge question mark at the most important position. We might have the chance for trade for a Russ or a Watson, and worst-case we may be looking at another season with Taysom starting if Book isn't the guy.

Give the kid some live reps.
I agree with you. But they want to wait till we re out of the playoff hunt. They feel better about the others right now I guess

One example against many, many counter examples is not supportive of the argument
So then, you agree with the fact, the Pats are rewriting the script with their success of drafting the best QB in the draft. Cannot dispute that fact. Maybe the Saints need to do a better job and not be less “remarkable” in evaluating college QB’s! 😜

Basically it says rookie QBs dont win. starting him now would be counter productive.
There's a Michael McCorkle "Mac" Jones for you on Line 3.

:hihi:

With the team in disarray when in hell you want a rookie an in? The oline is in shambles. AK is out, We have way too many injuries. Don’t risk another injury.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom