Good article on Book not starting (Duncan) (1 Viewer)

So basically they feel Book is our QB of the future. OK cool. While Book may look great in practice and in the film room they don't know how he'll look in "live action". I totally understand them not wanting to kill the kid's confidence playing behind a bad oline and no threats at receiver, but they'll need to let him play sooner or later or else we'll go into next year with a huge question mark at the most important position. We might have the chance for trade for a Russ or a Watson, and worst-case we may be looking at another season with Taysom starting if Book isn't the guy.

Give the kid some live reps.
The article didn’t say that Book was the Saints future or that Payton thought he was the future. It said that the coaches think Book shows potential and has traits they like, but throwing him to the wolves in a totally banged up offense before he is physically and developmentally ready could ruin that potential before he even gets the chance to build on it.

YOU don't know how he will look in live action, what do you think practice is? live action! the defense is practicing the same coverages they will play on gameday, he proving himself in the film study and when he gets on the practice field executes the offense. These guys are not coming into the pro's with no concept on coverages and preparation.

I do understand the point your trying to make its just a weak argument to me because every other rookie whether it be LB, CB, S, DT. DE. OT, WR. RB never gets that argument as to why not to play them but because he is a QB all of a sudden he not ready because he's never played in the league but we have an UDFA WR starting.

It's believable that the injuries and the fact we are still in contention for a playoff spot is why Book has not seen the field and once we are mathematically eliminated we will see Book get his live reps.

Here is the thing, Payton and Carmichael do see him in practice and they have decided that he's not even ready to be active on game day when Hill has a foot injury that would limit him if he had to play QB. It's clear that Payton does not think Book is ready yet. Maybe he will get there, but Payton doesn't think he's there yet. And, since he has done this for quite a while and sees Book every day in practice, I'm going to have to trust him on this one.

Personally, I'd be fine with throwing Book out there and seeing what he's got. The great ones tend to make it work even if they aren't fully ready yet and I'd like to know if he's an option for the future or not. But, Payton clearly doesn't think Book is at that level yet.

I think Payton see's the same potential in Book its not hard to piece together . Coach would not waste a roster spot unless he was sold on him , these injuries kind of prove that when roster spots are at a premium for us . Payton had Vinny Testaverde in 04 and Drew Bledsoe in 05 to sit Romo . As soon as Bledsoe showed decline in 06 but was not playing bad , Parcells made the switch to Romo . That was probably the plan and may still be . I see Taysoms contract as a sign of that being the plan , you sign him to that if he is the stop gap too Book . Weather this year or next . I could see Book playing at some point this year but either way it seems like it could be him and Taysom competing in Camp next year to start . Again I dont think coach Payton uses the roster spot in a season like this with half the team on IR to protect a potential back up QB . They see something no doubt

We "wasted" a spot on Garrett Grayson for quite awhile. Keeping a guy on the roster that is never active more or less means that the team sees potential in Book and wants to give him a chance to develop. They did the same thing with Hill. With Hill, it worked out great for the jack-of-all trades role, but not so much as a starting QB. We are just going to have to wait and see how Book develops. Hopefully he ends up being much better than Hill.

With our online and we issues currently, an no Alvin. Putting book in would be doing him worse than what Houston did with David Carr.
Don't kill his chances, to satisfy your give him a chance, he could win it all on his own.

Watching the Pats vs Bills game and how the Pats have recovered by finding their poor man's Tom Brady I really think the football gods smiled on us by us landing Book the poor man Drew Brees and that getting that offense healthy and reloading at the skill position will only show how good of a ball distributer Book is, surround him with the talent and let him execute the offense you built for the man before him as he has a similar skillset.

Last edited:
Basically it says rookie QBs dont win. starting him now would be counter productive.
lol yea and we have been winning with non rookies in the last month? there is literally nothing to lose. and stop with ruining the rookie comments, its absurd. hes an adult not a child, if he cant handle pressure then he prob needs to find another career

lol yea and we have been winning with non rookies in the last month? there is literally nothing to lose. and stop with ruining the rookie comments, its absurd. hes an adult not a child, if he cant handle pressure then he prob needs to find another career
You should call up Sean and tell him that. Payton is the one that is not playing him.

Another issue out there that has been a problem is with new QBs starting Winston, Trevor, Hill, additional reps have to be used for them. The extra practice reps for players of depth have probably not been there as we have tried at various points to get 3 different guys up to speed as starters. I’d bet Book has had very, very little actual practice time and would be completely unprepared to start.

The Saints were clearly interested in Book headed into the draft. Payton did little to indicate that he was going to pick a quarterback, but Book had plenty of interaction with the Saints headed into the draft.

“We had good meetings over Zoom,” Book said after being drafted. “And I was just crossing my fingers — really, hoping for any team — but this is just an unbelievable spot for me.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom