Saints Good article on Callaway (1 Viewer)

The best thing about Callaway is that his biggest strength, his ability to catch down the field hasn’t even been demonstrated yet. All of the optimism as a pro comes from his abilities he didn’t demonstrate as much in college: underneath receiving, special teams, and blocking. Now that he has a QB that can play to his strength, his potential is off the charts.
This is such a great point. Scouts thought he was a one trick pony but he didn't even have the chance to show off his one trick. He'll have that opportunity this season.

He’s ok. He’s a solid #3-4 WR. The problem is that his potential is pretty capped. He is what he is at this point. That’s ok...not everyone has to be great. He’s a good blocker and can sneak up on defenses. You just don’t want to rely on him as a receiver because he struggles to separate.
That’s the issue. We NEEDED him to step up for years now and he didn’t. Heck, I’ve seen backup Bengals WRs produce more than him the past couple of years and no, it wasn’t in garbage time, and void of a real decent QB. I’m talking about when Burrow wasn’t under center. If you can’t get open and catch consistently in an SP offense, then you are just another body that can’t be depended on. There is only so many passes you can block for AK41 to reel in. YOU need to help move the chains and he failed us. He’s not even a #3 or 4 WR. He’s just a body that’s blocking. Flame away, don’t care.

I was at that game, by myself, lower level...surrounded by Redskins fans, that play happened right in front of me.

I have confidence in Callaway. I think he will have a nice career.

What a fun game. I was talking trash when we were getting beat and kept dishing it out during our comeback. Most of the home fans left before the end of the game.

I have liked him since we first signed him as a UDFA, main reason was the similarity in his first name with my all time favourite Saint player, I now have high hopes for how can help thr Saints.

What stands out BIG with Callaway is he runs crisp routes and has GREAT control of his body and hips. VERY fluid hips. He plays a lot faster than his straight line speed and doesn't have much wasted motion. His cuts are very sharp and he can use the slightest hip to create a quick amount of separation (such as a our DIG...up, slight 45 and BAM, flattened out). He is video game looking on hitches and curls. He is compact and quick. He had a 78% catch percentage...that is very encouraging and if he continues to progress and stay off injury concerns, he should continue to do what he started and glimpsed at doing.

TQS on the other hand is bit taller and bit heavier, but plays a LOT heavier/slower than Callaway. He is proportioned different, as well. TQS is a tough, athletic player, but lacks the fluid body control that Callaway has. TQS seems to have to fight to get to his body to run crisp routes and plays a bit slower, I find, than his straight line speed. It is easier for defenders to gauge TQS's speed and where he is going than Callaway. I think TQS can be a good #3 as a possession guy who can give you big body targets, will fight for the ball and have a few WOW plays from his sheer athleticism (or sloppy coverage), but Callaway can really be a well rounded WR. If you really watch Callaway, he ticks more boxes than I ever even realized just watching the games in real time. Due to his body control, he pulled a few badly placed balls, as well...all due to first and foremost, his body control to be able to position to pull that ball in.

We do NOT have major speed with what will seem to be our proposed WR depth to start, but speed is nothing without separation. If TQS can gather some consistency, you have his separation due to physicality, separation due to amazing body control with Callaway and MT just is MT...LOL. If we have any sort of consistent QB play and good read/react, this could work well.

Is he the next "superstar" WR, that is all about production and consistency, but in the short snapshots of what I have seen of his body of work, there is a bit of something special to what he could bring.

What stands out BIG with Callaway is he runs crisp routes and has GREAT control of his body and hips. VERY fluid hips. He plays a lot faster than his straight line speed and doesn't have much wasted motion. His cuts are very sharp and he can use the slightest hip to create a quick amount of separation (such as a our DIG...up, slight 45 and BAM, flattened out). He is video game looking on hitches and curls. He is compact and quick. He had a 78% catch percentage...that is very encouraging and if he continues to progress and stay off injury concerns, he should continue to do what he started and glimpsed at doing.

TQS on the other hand is bit taller and bit heavier, but plays a LOT heavier/slower than Callaway. He is proportioned different, as well. TQS is a tough, athletic player, but lacks the fluid body control that Callaway has. TQS seems to have to fight to get to his body to run crisp routes and plays a bit slower, I find, than his straight line speed. It is easier for defenders to gauge TQS's speed and where he is going than Callaway. I think TQS can be a good #3 as a possession guy who can give you big body targets, will fight for the ball and have a few WOW plays from his sheer athleticism (or sloppy coverage), but Callaway can really be a well rounded WR. If you really watch Callaway, he ticks more boxes than I ever even realized just watching the games in real time. Due to his body control, he pulled a few badly placed balls, as well...all due to first and foremost, his body control to be able to position to pull that ball in.

We do NOT have major speed with what will seem to be our proposed WR depth to start, but speed is nothing without separation. If TQS can gather some consistency, you have his separation due to physicality, separation due to amazing body control with Callaway and MT just is MT...LOL. If we have any sort of consistent QB play and good read/react, this could work well.

Is he the next "superstar" WR, that is all about production and consistency, but in the short snapshots of what I have seen of his body of work, there is a bit of something special to what he could bring.

Our 3 newest WRs are the fastest WRs on the team with the exception of Harris. Winston and Baker are both 4.42 guys and Jalen McCleskey is a 4.28 WR.

Our 3 newest WRs are the fastest WRs on the team with the exception of Harris. Winston and Baker are both 4.42 guys and Jalen McCleskey is a 4.28 WR.
Yes.

I am saying our projected, as of now, you are looking at MT, TQS and Callaway as 1,2,3. One of the rookies could surprise but it is a tough road to think one of the rookies can end up starting the season and #2 or #3. Small snapshot of 2 preseason games and already have production in the WR room with Callaway/TQS...I am not saying they are a "shoe in" but sitting atop the depth charts over the rookies and that usually means it is not an "open competition" for a spot.

I think as the season goes on, we will see more of the youth inserted and contribute. It is exciting to see that we filled in with a lot of young SPEED! I need to go back and really look at more film of the new WR's and hope they get a LOT of time in preseason to see what they have. If anyone, I see TQS dropping down, unless he really steps up his consistency.

Yes.

I am saying our projected, as of now, you are looking at MT, TQS and Callaway as 1,2,3. One of the rookies could surprise but it is a tough road to think one of the rookies can end up starting the season and #2 or #3. Small snapshot of 2 preseason games and already have production in the WR room with Callaway/TQS...I am not saying they are a "shoe in" but sitting atop the depth charts over the rookies and that usually means it is not an "open competition" for a spot.

I think as the season goes on, we will see more of the youth inserted and contribute. It is exciting to see that we filled in with a lot of young SPEED! I need to go back and really look at more film of the new WR's and hope they get a LOT of time in preseason to see what they have. If anyone, I see TQS dropping down, unless he really steps up his consistency.

We don't have a true Z WR in the top 3 WRs on the team. We also haven't had a need for a true Z over the last few seasons either, but it looks like SP is hunting for the next Z for his offense to incorporate the shot plays again.

We don't have a true Z WR in the top 3 WRs on the team. We also haven't had a need for a true Z over the last few seasons either, but it looks like SP is hunting for the next Z for his offense to incorporate the shot plays again.
We haven't had a true deep threat. If anything we have too much Z in our WR personnel/CSP's offense. (but different offenses are different and terminology to assignment has morphed through the years...and it's late...LOL)

Payton utilizes WR's in a less traditional sense. He schemes to the defense and moves WR's around a lot. If anything the way CSP utilizes his receivers, he almost has everyone as a Z at some point and less a true designated X in our offense. Z will typically be off the LOS and run a lot of slot. They are all over the place and stacked and motioned, etc. Thomas would be considered our X though in general theory. He is great off the line and press coverage. He might not be running deep routes, but works himself inside from outside ridiculously. We just don't have a true burner the last seasons (and that could come from any WR position in CSP's world).

There are some candidates in Kindergarten right now with speed! ABSOLUTELY! As I was saying earlier, at least we have 3 already fielded guys who are not burners, in the traditional sense, but have 3 different skill set/matchup points to utilize. If we can incorporate the THREAT of the deep ball, the clear outs and designed distraction routes will loosen that defense up underneath. If we can, even sporadically hit those or take shots to keep them honest...boy that DOES open up a plethora of scheme for CSP in run and pass. Of course that is just football 101 and many more know that to be true and worded it better than I (sorry for such a "duh" statement...lol).

I don't go in 100% in the generalization that "Drew couldn't", "CSP wouldn't" in regard to the deep ball (there were more factors involved) but it did become pretty invisible and teams definitely were not that concerned, but that is a different topic.

I am still more excited about this season coming up than I have been for a few seasons because of all the options, possibilities and how does it all shake out. It is all about the journey! LOL ( I will drink more than I want this season, I think)! I watched another good video on Callaway...love his sharp cuts and control.

Watch Callaway as he is talking over the first half of the video. He is highlighted. Economy of motion.

That’s the issue. We NEEDED him to step up for years now and he didn’t. Heck, I’ve seen backup Bengals WRs produce more than him the past couple of years and no, it wasn’t in garbage time, and void of a real decent QB. I’m talking about when Burrow wasn’t under center. If you can’t get open and catch consistently in an SP offense, then you are just another body that can’t be depended on. There is only so many passes you can block for AK41 to reel in. YOU need to help move the chains and he failed us. He’s not even a #3 or 4 WR. He’s just a body that’s blocking. Flame away, don’t care.
Instead of flame away, I'm more curious to hear you name these beckup Bengals WR.

What I loathe about TQS is he'll string together a couple of games where he looks genuinely good and you go "ok here we go, the light turned on!" and then he disappears again. He's a worse blocker than Brandon Coleman and is not a better receiver. Except Coleman was a UDFA and TQS is a third round pick... you kind of expect a third round pick to at least be a factor in games and not bested by a UDFA whose career was ended by injury. I honestly believe if Coleman hadn't of gotten hurt, they would have cut TQS by now and kept Coleman.

Instead of flame away, I'm more curious to hear you name these beckup Bengals WR.
Alex Erickson and Auden Tate 2019.
Both backups that filled in for injuries. Their QB was hot garbage Andy Dalton who got benched for Jeff Driskel I believe. Now, how do these backups, with garbage QBs, step in and produce, but TQS performs disappearing acts for many games, with a HOF QB?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom