Good Read on Ian Book (I think Brees had some input on that pick) (1 Viewer)

Another good article. A lot of people put him and Payton together Pre draft as a great fit. You don’t see this a lot

If you watch the vid of the "call" - i think his dad ( maybe) says " Perfect spot" twice after the confirmation Saints are selecting him.

Wants to be here.

If you watch the vid of the "call" - i think his dad ( maybe) says " Perfect spot" twice after the confirmation Saints are selecting him.

Wants to be here.

Yep. A guy like that will only get better under SP and they know that. the question is how much higher is his ceiling. I sure hope it’s way up there.

Yep. A guy like that will only get better under SP and they know that. the question is how much higher is his ceiling. I sure hope it’s way up there.
I like Ian and I don't know his potential as a pro. But I am cheering for him. I would love for him to come and steal the starting position from day one.

I don't think this can happen, but certainly to have a starting rookie quarterback playing on a very cheap rookie deal will help us ease 2022, when Ramczyk, Armstead, Lattimore, Marcus Williams and others will become unrestricted free agents.

I like Ian and I don't know his potential as a pro. But I am cheering for him. I would love for him to come and steal the starting position from day one.

I don't think this can happen, but certainly to have a starting rookie quarterback playing on a very cheap rookie deal will help us ease 2022, when Ramczyk, Armstead, Lattimore, Marcus Williams and others will become unrestricted free agents.

Very good take on why we should all want Book to succeed and start. Can’t afford a $30m a year QB anyway

I think those that become exceptional QBs have a healthy appetite for always learning/evolving and an equally healthy work ethic and fear of failure. Those that look to rely on their "measurables" think that their athleticism can supplant the preparation/learning aspect and tend to give 1-2 really good years, then revert back to the mean.

I didnt watch but maybe 1-2 games during Books tenure at ND. But hearing from his coach and few other NFLers, seems like this kid has the desire to be an NFL QB. Question is does he have the desire to be great or simply be good?

We couldn't be so lucky for Book to fall into a rookie Russell Wilson situation, but I can dream. I don't think Payton trusts rookies. He started Brees day 1 and never looked back, but he was far from being a rookie. But,,, when you think you have Payton figured out, he'll make you look silly. Nothing he does surprise me anymore.

can't remember who to credit this to, but learned it from a young age; it made sense and it "clicked" right away; still live by it:

"Hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard". I like blue collar guys who just want it REALLY bad and will do WHATEVER it takes. Book sounds like one. I hope he is. Certainly pulling for him!

I would not be surprised if he took over at some point during the season that ofcourse is under the assumption Winston just struggles to lead the offense. My only concern about Winston is not his talent but his FIT. Winston has the arm talent and was a #1 overall pick but does he fit in the passing game, can he thrive in an offense that is methodical and can he take what the defense gives him and not try and do to much (something he said he learned from Brees) which is something I think Ian Book does naturally and why I think he is a better FIT for the offense.

If this article doesn’t get you excited about this young man and what he can do for the saints if Payton can groom him then there is something wrong. Stranger things have happened. He will be fun to hear about in training camp and exciting to watch in Pre season. He sounds like a Russell Wilson type with Brees mentality. I’m pulling for this kid to make it! Hopefully he uses that chip on his shoulder like Brees did and the results are similar.
I know it's silly to get too excited about Book, but then I remember where Taysom was as a QB at BYU. He wasn't half the QB that Book is now and look how far he has come. I mean, he was just a mess as a QB. if it wasn't for his willingness to play special teams, he would have been out of the NFL after his second year.

Now imagine if the Saints could bring Book that same level if improvement. Arm strength is arm strength, although there are some changes to his mechanics and lower body improvements that can get some more out of his throws. I still don't think he will be anything other than another Chase Daniels, but I'm pulling for the guy.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom